2011 World Series Thread

Milkman delivers

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, just no way Holland for Thornton and Danks is enough.

Holland is under team control for at least 3 more years...not sure if it's 4 or not.

You'd be halfway thankful just to get salary relief and a B-tier prospect for Thornton alone.

The Rangers have some soul-searching to do about Harrison/Holland for Game 6 or 7.

Ogando's gone from the key to their entire bullpen to a powerkeg with a lit fuse.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 23, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
Honestly most people probably agree that Duncan is the best. Cooper is still pretty good too. Did they ask him the second best pitching coach? lol

And so the Rangers are hard to beat in back to back games. Then, Cards in 7. lol! Holland is saving the Rangers bullpen and season.

Mike Maddux is flying up the lists.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
I'd do Danks for Holland straight up as well. It's the 2nd piece that makes me want something else back...I still think Matty is a very valuable commodity.

Ya, that's actually a very interesting deal if you include Matty because you shed some salary as well. That being said, I agree with you, if we're going to deal both Danks and Thornton then you need to get back more than one piece.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
Ya, that's actually a very interesting deal if you include Matty because you shed some salary as well. That being said, I agree with you, if we're going to deal both Danks and Thornton then you need to get back more than one piece.

I'm not worried about shedding the salary...because I think Quentin should be moved regardless of the return as well (just to clear playing time in the OF, if for no other reason) and that puts the team at $100 million once he and D1 are moved. $110 million is enough to keep both Matty and re-up with Buehrle, which gives us the best chance to win next year. Moving Matty makes it harder to win next year...unless we get some sort of decent return for him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 08:21 AM)
I'm not worried about shedding the salary...because I think Quentin should be moved regardless of the return as well (just to clear playing time in the OF, if for no other reason) and that puts the team at $100 million once he and D1 are moved. $110 million is enough to keep both Matty and re-up with Buehrle, which gives us the best chance to win next year. Moving Matty makes it harder to win next year...unless we get some sort of decent return for him.

Thornton is going to be moved. If you can get a lefty #2ish starter for him and Danks, you don't hesitate to pull the trigger, especially since it is buying you 3 more non-free agent years.

Probably would be best that this goes to Game 7 since there hasn't been a WS Game 7 in awhile and that would generate some buzz. Would prefer that the Cards win.

However, a Game 7 would remind me of Bud's stupid rule change of making the All-Star game counting to home field advantage in the World Series. The Cardinals are a wildcard team with home field advantage. A wildcard team should never have home field advantage unless they are going up against another wildcard team. However, I applaud the Cardinals for taking advantage of this loophole. Go Cardinals! lol!

I would like the rule changed. Home field advantage should go to the league who wins the majority of interleague games. You could count the All Star game as another interleague play. In 2011, the American League won 131 interleague games, the National League won 121. If you included the All Star game that would be 122. And maybe include a rule that a wildcard team is always the visiting team unless they are up against another wild card team (then use the interleague wins criteria)

Lastly, here is another reason to cheer on the Cards to win the World Series...the Cardinals open their home schedule in 2012 against the c-u-BS! Not until April 13th though...that seems like a late opener. haha!

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
Probably would be best that this goes to Game 7 since there hasn't been a WS Game 7 in awhile and that would generate some buzz. Would prefer that the Cards win.

However, a Game 7 would remind me of Bud's stupid rule change of making the All-Star game counting to home field advantage in the World Series. The Cardinals are a wildcard team with home field advantage. A wildcard team should never have home field advantage unless they are going up against another wildcard team. However, I applaud the Cardinals for taking advantage of this loophole. Go Cardinals! lol!

I would like the rule changed. Home field advantage should go to the league who wins the majority of interleague games. You could count the All Star game as another interleague play. In 2011, the American League won 131 interleague games, the National League won 121. If you included the All Star game that would be 122. And maybe include a rule that a wildcard team is always the visiting team unless they are up against another wild card team (then use the interleague wins criteria)

Lastly, here is another reason to cheer on the Cards to win the World Series...the Cardinals open their home schedule in 2012 against the c-u-BS! Not until April 13th though...that seems like a late opener. haha!

I can't help myself. Why do you "lol" or "haha" after, like, everything?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
Thornton is going to be moved. If you can get a lefty #2ish starter for him and Danks, you don't hesitate to pull the trigger, especially since it is buying you 3 more non-free agent years.

Didn't Thornton have a fairly s***ty season by his standards?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 24, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Didn't Thornton have a fairly s***ty season by his standards?

He had his highest ERA since 2007.

His ERA was also still 3.32 in his worst season since 2007.

He was really killed by defense though. In his entire career before this year he'd been credited with 1 unearned run. Last year...12.