Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
This is sad LOL

Date: Team: Pos:

Brent Lillibridge - OF - White Sox

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox player drawing the most trade interest from other teams has been Brent Lillibridge.

The Sox were supposed to be one of the most active teams at the Winter Meetings, but the only move they've made to this point has been to trade Sergio Santos. They've put John Danks, Gavin Floyd and Carlos Quentin on the block, but so far nothing has been close to materializing. Lillibridge was a nice utility player for the Sox in 2011 but wouldn't bring back much in a trade.

Source: FOXSports.com Dec 7 - 5:25 PM

Sad, but it's another sign of the incompetence of our GM.

Where are all the people on this board who said there will be a market for guys like Thornton, Quentin, Danks, and Floyd this offseason?

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:49 PM)
Sad, but it's another sign of the incompetence of our GM.

Where are all the people on this board who said there will be a market for guys like Thornton, Quentin, Danks, and Floyd this offseason?

Do you really think that teams aren't interested in Danks and Floyd? You're better than that Marty. Probably just means that other teams are more interested in Lillibridge right now cause he'd require less in return.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)

There is one. It's called a developing market.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
Tulo has been significantly better for the past two seasons, Hanley has been trending downward for three. Numbers from four years ago don't have much predictive value.

the numbers i most recently quoted were a range from age 24 to 26 - which does have predictive value.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:34 PM)
This is sad LOL

Date: Team: Pos:

Brent Lillibridge - OF - White Sox

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the White Sox player drawing the most trade interest from other teams has been Brent Lillibridge.

The Sox were supposed to be one of the most active teams at the Winter Meetings, but the only move they've made to this point has been to trade Sergio Santos. They've put John Danks, Gavin Floyd and Carlos Quentin on the block, but so far nothing has been close to materializing. Lillibridge was a nice utility player for the Sox in 2011 but wouldn't bring back much in a trade.

Source: FOXSports.com Dec 7 - 5:25 PM

That makes a guy sick! :fight Thornton still here so far gentlemen.

Edited by Soxfest

No one gonna cry about this one???

Lastings Milledge - OF - Player

Lastings Milledge has signed a two-year contract with the Tokyo Swallows of the Nippon Professional Baseball league.

Milledge batted .295/.364/.441 with 12 homers and 27 steals over 444 at-bats for Triple-A Charlotte this year, but that evidently wasn't enough to draw much interest from major league clubs. Just 26, he has time to return to the states after hoping to making an impact overseas.

Source: Scot Drucker on Twitter Dec 7 - 5:53 PM

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:51 PM)
Do you really think that teams aren't interested in Danks and Floyd? You're better than that Marty. Probably just means that other teams are more interested in Lillibridge right now cause he'd require less in return.

More likely they are more interested in Gonzalez.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:54 PM)
the numbers i most recently quoted were a range from age 24 to 26 - which does have predictive value.

I'm not so sure. I think I read somewhere that Tango's original research of peak between 28-32 is outdated and that guys are starting to peak much earlier. That might have been referring to pitchers, and I wouldn't be able to find it though.

Anyway ,I still think recency trumps it in this case. What does ZiPs says? That would be an objective way to settle the argument, I think.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
I'm not so sure. I think I read somewhere that Tango's original research of peak between 28-32 is outdated and that guys are starting to peak much earlier. That might have been referring to pitchers, and I wouldn't be able to find it though.

Anyway ,I still think recency trumps it in this case. What does ZiPs says? That would be an objective way to settle the argument, I think.

It might also be from guys from some of the latin hotbeds of talent lying about their ages ;)

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)

Sounds lke Boston is interested. Who goes first? Or do both end up leaving before ST? There is a couple three months left where some deal could happen for sure and then during the season.

KW said most interesting thing of his day was eating breakfast.

Yup - a developing market indeed.

When you're selling parts - you don't want to rush into it - extracting value is key.

We haven't seen Kenny in a rebuild role and I'm personally going to give him enough rope here to prove himself. What we've seen over the past 4 years out of him don't make me optimistic.

Edit: Now we're seeing reports that KW is holding the current starters and shedding payroll elsewhere. Could that signify mailing out Q and calling it a day? It's the winter alright - conflicting reports abound. I sure hope that we dive in and actually rebuild.... hoping Kenny is just throwing miss-information out there to drive up prices. When Wilson signs - someone is bound to get desperate... right?

Oh, that's right - our good old friend Gio Gonzalez is rearing his head again.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
Wilson to the Angels - Rangers get desperate for pitching and do something stupid for Danks?

Damned Gio / Beane - taking away our leverage.

Florida still has its offer on the table for Wilson. 6 years. So... lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Wilson signs elsewhere - Rangers get desperate for pitching and do something stupid for Danks?

Damned Gio / Beane - taking away our leverage.

QUOTE ( @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
Florida still has its offer on the table for Wilson. 6 years. So... lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Fixed. :P

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:56 PM)
So far pretty underwhelming meetings for the Sox. Kenny is leaving tomorrow.

Not the greatest time to be a Sox fan, seems like this team, this board, and this fan base are in disarray.

To be fair, that part isn't new. It's an internet message board, I'm astounded we're as collected as we are :D

I think it's a pretty decent time to be a Sox fan, though, as I still have memories of a World Series. Couldn't say that in the early/mid 90's, even. Plus, rebuilds just mean you have to be a different kind of fan. One that focuses more on young players with potential.

Unless we are signing a 30-year mortgage like the Pirates...ughhh.