2012 Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 12:36 AM)
Killer Elite wasn't quite what I expected, but it's a Statham film that included De Niro and Yvonne Strahovski so I figured it would keep my attention. Entertaining if not a bit formulaic and predictable. I was hoping for more of the latter two actors.

I'm not sure why you'd expect better. De Niro hasn't made a good [serious] movie in over ten years.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I'm not sure why you'd expect better. De Niro hasn't made a good [serious] movie in over ten years.

My expectations weren't high, I just hoped De Niro would play a bigger role in the movie.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
Man, movies have been severely lacking for what seems like forever. I haven't even had the inclination to see a movie in the theater since GWTDT.

Two hours ago I had no idea which movie you were referring to. I then just finished the book an hour later and went to send a friend a text to tell him to read it. Didn't want to spell the whole thing out so I went with the initials. Next thought was "you cheeky bastard... you had it all along".

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 08:42 PM)
Um, 21 Jump Street at 96% on RT thru 30 reviews. Didn't see that coming.

:huh: IMO the trailers have made that movie look bad, seems like every movie over the last 6 months has had the trailers in the previews too.

Act of Valor has some kick-ass action scenes and some God-awful acting.

Overall, a 2 1/2 star or 2 3/4 star movie....maybe better to wait for the video, although the explosions and gunfire won't be quite as menacing in a home theatre.

The only recognizable actor/actress is the lovely Roselyn Sanchez.

You can see how it definitely plays as a short recruitment film which morphed into a big screen money grab. Definitely more interest in this after the bin Laden takedown.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)
Act of Valor has some kick-ass action scenes and some God-awful acting.

Overall, a 2 1/2 star or 2 3/4 star movie....maybe better to wait for the video, although the explosions and gunfire won't be quite as menacing in a home theatre.

The only recognizable actor/actress is the lovely Roselyn Sanchez.

You can see how it definitely plays as a short recruitment film which morphed into a big screen money grab. Definitely more interest in this after the bin Laden takedown.

Isn't that the movie with active duty Seals? I wouldn't expect much acting.

Yeah, Ebert had a hard time reviewing it (Act of Valor) as well.

On the one hand, your expectations for the acting are almost ZERO.

On the other hand, the bad acting really kills the film when there's no action going on.

In particular, there was a nearly comical scene where the team leader is questioning a detainee on a yacht and half of that scene made me laugh out loud...maybe most community college acting classes could have topped it.

On the surface, 21 Jump Street follows the crime-fighting antics of odd-couple cop partners Schmidt (Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum). Their wonky dynamic is established in a perfectly placed opening flashback to 2005, when the two were real high school students — Schmidt the klutzy, anxious nerd with a brain; Jenko the athletic, academically challenged coolio. Seven years later, when both police rookies are coincidentally assigned to an undercover–high schooler program, the duo are prepared to play out those same life scripts, until a mix-up alters fate. Schmidt is assigned a class schedule befitting a popular non-Einstein; Jenko is shuffled into advanced-placement chemistry. (''Ap-chemistry,'' he calls it, laboriously reading his course list.) Given a do-over, the two get to reexperience those less than wonder years. They get to work issues out. And by the way they get to bust a drug ring fronted by a smart and popular guy played with oddball charisma by Dave Franco. (The curiosity isn't that he's the brother of James Franco; it's that he's so interestingly weird. Okay, like his brother.)

But that, as I say, is on the surface. Underneath, 21 Jump Street is a riot of risks that pay off, the biggest of which might be handing Tatum funny business. And now for the revelation: The guy's got bust-out talents as a really funny, self-aware comic actor. With all appropriate salutes to the busy fellow's famous abs, and with full forgiveness for his participation in The Vow, I am feeling the Channing charm for the first time. And wow, those scenes where the smart actor, playing a ''dumb'' character who realizes he's not as dumb as he has always believed he is, fakes playing a dumb guy to mess with his smart partner's head are kind of perfect. Also, Tatum can sustain a great, I mean great, Dumb Face.

Lisa Schwartzbaum, ew.com

By the way, there's also the inevitable Johnny Depp cameo.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 14, 2012 -> 08:40 PM)
guy played with oddball charisma by Dave Franco. (The curiosity isn't that he's the brother of James Franco; it's that he's so interestingly weird. Okay, like his brother.)

I found him funny in the bad Scrubs alternate season.

My Week With Marilyn, pretty darned good flick, better than I thought it would be.

To Hell and Back, one of the best documentaries you'll ever see about the Afghan war and a soldier's struggles to return to a normal home life in the States after suffering a debilitating hip injury. Gave me a lot more appreciation for what grunts or Devil Dogs do, but the attitudes of some of those guys is pretty darned scary. After the shooting tragedy/murders last week in Afghanistan, and seeing this film, you're surprised these type of incidents are not even more common when you have 3-4-5 deployments.