Sox still listening on Gavin

southsider2k5

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If indeed Oswalt heads to St. Louis and the Red Sox start getting anxious to trade for Gavin.

What are the realistic expectations?

Do the Red Sox have decent enough prospects? are they overhyped?

If we're working on a position of leverage, I'd like KW to pull a fast one on a rookie gm.

The Red Sox are starting to get desperate.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 12:07 AM)
If indeed Oswalt heads to St. Louis and the Red Sox start getting anxious to trade for Gavin.

What are the realistic expectations?

Do the Red Sox have decent enough prospects? are they overhyped?

If we're working on a position of leverage, I'd like KW to pull a fast one on a rookie gm.

The Red Sox are starting to get desperate.

It's hard to put realistic expectations on a trade return. We don't know how each team values certain players or prospects. Kenny also works his own way and it's hard to predict what he will do. You know he loves his reclamation Coop can fix 'em players. If I had to guess I'd say a fair return would be two "B" prospects, or a higher end "B" prospect and some "C+" pieces along with it. Kenny might have more leverage here than normal with the Red Sox kind of f***ed by the luxury tax threshold. Some players to consider would be Anthony Ranaudo, Brandon Workman, Brandon Jacobs, and Bryce Brentz. I doubt the Red Sox would move Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, or Bogaerts. Some lesser pieces could be Felix Doubront, Stolmy Pimentel, Drake Britton, and Christian Vasquez.

Edited by DirtySox

Red Sox sources have indicated they expect to re-engage the Chicago White Sox in trade talks for right-hander Gavin Floyd, who according to one White Sox source is available for the right package of prospects. So far, the Red Sox have not made a proposal satisfactory to GM Kenny Williams.

A long- shot possibility remains Edwin Jackson, the last significant starting pitcher remaining on the market. Jackson had not been on Boston's radar at the outset of the winter because of his desire for a multiyear deal, but have been in touch with agent Scott Boras on a possible one-year deal. As of earlier Friday, the Sox had not made an offer for Jackson.

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7...-cardinals-soon

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 27, 2012 -> 09:16 PM)
I've lost a lot of respect for Oswalt. That p**** wanted no part of the AL.

But look at it from his perspective, he doesnt want to go out getting lit the F*** up in the AL when he can at least keep his ERA respectable thru the end of his career. He knows he doesnt have much left in the tank, and he has been flirting with retirement for a few years now, plus all of his recent injury and personal issues. It is probably best for him to stay with what he knows and where he is comfortable.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 08:24 AM)
I'd still be willing to bet that Cherington would rather just give Edwin the deal he wants, than give Kenny a package of prospects.

That's the thing, they can't give Edwin the deal he wants it seems. It would push them over the luxury tax threshold.