2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)
@mortreport

Chip Kelly is the new coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, according to league sources. No announcement yet.

I predict bust with this one. Gimmick offense will not work in NFL. Similar to Spurrier.

I'll reserve my judgement on Trestman, hopefully he succeeds, I just hope with all this focus on the offensive side of the ball that we don't become a team that scores alot but also gives up a lot of points.

I really want Trestman to keep Marinelli.

I hope we develop an offense that can keep the D off the field. They really did great work, but when your offense creates strings of 3 and outs, you can only hold an NFL offense for so long before they string some plays together.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 06:41 PM)
Oregon is about to go under NCAA sanctions. He had to bolt.

I get that, but they were about to go under sanctions 2 weeks ago when he said he was going to stay at Oregon.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
That's pretty surprising since Rice was really happy when Trestman was let go by the 49ers. He hated the 2 yard routes he was running.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/...7/1c1rice_.html

The thing that concerns me is he's from the Jimmy Johnson tree, Wanne, Norv Turner, both prety much busts as Head Coaches. He's also kind of calm like Lovie. If the Bears don't win right away, the fans are going after him.

I don't buy that(though i didnt read the article), why would he sign with the Raiders when Trestman was the OC if he didn't like the guy....Rice also had a 1800 yards and 15 touchdowns in that offense.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
As a outsider looking in, Besides Marshall I see the rest of your WR's a huge weakness. Hester used to be a great ST player but he isn't that good at the WR position. The other 2 are good backup role players. Your #1 weakness on offense is the tight end position, maybe you will draft the TE from ND. You can find several good OL in the draft. A team with Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Wallace and solid TE, would win tbe NFC North for the next 3-4 years

The Bears made some very good moves today

As others have said there's no reason not to like Alshon Jeffery, he'll be working out and learning from Marshall in the offseason so I only expect him to get better and be an awesome #2.....Also Bennett ranked highly on PFF as a slot receiver. If they can all stay healthy thats the last thing I'm worried about.

Fantastic hire.....Early bold prediction....Matt Forte will be an MVP candidate NEXT YEAR.(if he stays healthy)

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
I don't buy that(though i didnt read the article), why would he sign with the Raiders when Trestman was the OC if he didn't like the guy....Rice also had a 1800 yards and 15 touchdowns in that offense.

As others have said there's no reason not to like Alshon Jeffery, he'll be working out and learning from Marshall in the offseason so I only expect him to get better and be an awesome #2.....Also Bennett ranked highly on PFF as a slot receiver. If they can all stay healthy thats the last thing I'm worried about.

Fantastic hire.....Early bold prediction....Matt Forte will be an MVP candidate NEXT YEAR.(if he stays healthy)

There's no homer quite like you. Problem, of course, is that, regardless of his talent level, Forte's never been able to punch the ball into the endzone, and if you are to even be a candidate for MVP as a running back, you need to score touchdowns

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
There's no homer quite like you. Problem, of course, is that, regardless of his talent level, Forte's never been able to punch the ball into the endzone, and if you are to even be a candidate for MVP as a running back, you need to score touchdowns

Forte has become so overrated - the dude can't stay healthy and can't shed tackles.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)

And with QB's putting up insane numbers its going to be hard for any RB to ever win MVP. AP almost breaks the all time record and its not even 100% he will be MVP.

If the Bears are going to have an offensive MVP, the odds would be pretty favorable its Cutler.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 01:10 PM)

Ya, you're right, the TDs will be his downfall....I'm just excited to see him in the passing game. from what I've seen in looking at Marcs old teams stats he loves to work the RB in the passing game. Just going from memory, Charlie Garner had 72 rec and the 9ers RB had 90+ in Trestmans time there. I expect much of the same with Forte, who is one of the better pass catching receivers in the game.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

CHICAGO (AP) -- A person familiar with the situation says the Chicago Bears have hired New Orleans Saints offensive line coach Aaron Kromer as their offensive coordinator.

The person spoke Wednesday on the condition of anonymity because the move had not been announced. Kromer will work under new coach Marc Trestman, who was hired to replace the fired Lovie Smith on Wednesday.

The Bears are trying to get more out of quarterback Jay Cutler and become regular playoff participants after missing the postseason for the fifth time in six years.

Kromer served as the Saints' head coach for six games this season while interim head coach Joe Vitt was suspended for his role in the bounty scandal. Saints coach Sean Payton had to sit out the year.

Edited by Soxfest

My thoughts on today's developments:

When Emery was hired, I was impressed with what I read about him and after one season I have no reason to change my original impression. He was forced to retain Smith as HC for one year, so he still is in benefit of the doubt status as far as I'm concerned.

Due to Dave Toub's performance the past nine years, that man has earned my respect and it was only fair to Toub for Emery to let him out of the last year of his contract, due to the fact he would have been working for a coach he had competed against for the position. That said, Toub's remarks about the interview process with Emery just reinforced my opinion of Emery at that this point.

In a nutshell, I have to trust that Emery effectively did his due diligence before naming Trestman HC, and the subsequent assistant coaching hires. I hope he retains Marinelli as DC.