The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

More examples of Ozzie Leadership Lessons

By MANNY NAVARRO

mnavarro@miamiherald.com

Hanley Ramirez has never been one to speak up or take command of the Marlins clubhouse.

It's just not who he is comfortable being -- especially not when he's struggling at the plate and not holding his end of the bargain.

But with the Marlins reeling after their 15th loss in their last 17 games Saturday, the three-time All-Star and former batting champion decided it was time to do something uncomfortable. He called his first team meeting, where he told his teammates it was time "for everybody to just clear their heads, start over and hit the reset button."

The Marlins (34-38) responded Sunday with their most lopsided victory of the season -- a 9-0, feel-good blowout of the Toronto Blue Jays in front of 27,888 at Marlins Park. It’s a win that put an end to a six-game losing streak -- and maybe their June swoon.

"I think it was the best players meeting I've ever been involved with because of the amount of people involved with it and some of the things Hanley said to start it," said catcher John Buck, who belted a second-inning, 411-foot, three run home run that bounced off the sculpture in left-center field and gave starter Mark Buehrle an early 4-0 cushion.

"I think it resonated with quite a few guys where what it did was let's go let it all hang out at the beginning of the game... He got my juices flowing."

Buck, who had three RBI in his previous 24 games combined, wasn't the only player who was moved by Saturday's team meeting.

Greg Dobbs, homerless in his first 100 at-bats this season, hit a two-run shot in the sixth and finished with three hits as the Marlins broke out of their offensive funk and scored more than five runs for the first time since they beat the Giants and two-time Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum 7-6 back on May 25.

Ramirez? He chipped in, too. Although he started the day 0-for-3 (dropping his average in June to .205), he stroked a two-run triple into gape in right-center in the seventh before scoring on Logan Morrison's sacrifice fly.

It was all more than enough for Mark Buehrle, who after losing each of his four prior starts prior while posting a 5.48 ERA, scattered seven hits over seven innings to pick up his first win since May 26.

"Everybody looked today like everything we said in the meeting [saturday] got to everybody's heart," Ramirez said. "Everybody was more relaxed, smiling. It looked like it was opening day for us today."

Blue Jays starter Jesse Chavez, who gave up seven hits and six earned runs in Sunday's start, had one previous start in his career coming in -- when he lasted just 2 2/3 innings and gave up four walks and four runs to Milwaukee.

Despite the victory, the Marlins completed their worst season ever in interleague play, going just 5-13 (.278). Their previous worst was during an 83-win season of 2004, when they finished 5-10 (.333) against the American League.

The Marlins, who were tied with Washington for first place in the National League East on June 3rd, are now eight games back of the Nationals and a half-game up on the Phillies for last place in the division.

"When we took the field Carlos Zambrano was next to me and told me 'This is the game we're going to turn it around.' I said ,'Let's win one game first and see what happens.' And they did it today," manager Ozzie Guillen said.

"I'm not going to say this thing happened because of the players meeting. But when you have a players meeting, the next game you act that way and play that way it seems like something very positive. It's nice to see those guys having fun on the field. It's been a little while where we don't feel this way after the game. It's a very painful feeling every time you lose."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/24/2865...l#storylink=cpy

Buehrle, who said it was good to see Ramirez initiate Saturday's meeting because 'this is kind of Hanley's clubhouse," got plenty of defensive help along the way Sunday.

"We had some energy right from the get-go," said Reyes, who complained Saturday the Marlins' clubhouse was 'dead.'

"Hopefully, we'll continue to play the same way the next couple games."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 24, 2012 -> 07:26 PM)
Inconsistent is not the same thing as dysfunctional.

And if Ozzie bled White Sox red, he wouldn't have negotiated with Marlins green during the season.

Who cares if he negotiated at the end of a horrific season? Coop also negotiated behind Ozzie's back. Why is Ozzie the one villain on a team full of villains last year. KW is no saint. Coop was a snake. So what if Ozzie was talking to Miami. Most of you wanted him gone, he sped up that process. It's not like our team was doing anything.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:18 AM)
Nah, f*** that guy.

Wow. A WS winning manager. OUR WS winning manager and you can't tip your cap and wish him well. Man.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 01:38 AM)
1) Who cares if he negotiated at the end of a horrific season?

2) Coop also negotiated behind Ozzie's back.

1) BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO NEGOTIATE WITH A SEPARATE TEAM WHEN CURRENTLY EMPLOYED

2) COOP NEGOTIATED WITH HIS OWN BOSS HIS OWN BOSS

1) Who cares if he negotiated at the end of a horrific season?

2) Coop also negotiated behind Ozzie's back.

1) BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL TO NEGOTIATE WITH A SEPARATE TEAM WHEN CURRENTLY EMPLOYED

2) COOP NEGOTIATED WITH HIS OWN BOSS

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 06:49 AM)

If it is illegal, then why didn't baseball reprimand Ozzie. Is there proof?

2) COOP NEGOTIATED WITH HIS OWN BOSS

Coop did it all behind his other boss' back. ozzie.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 01:50 AM)
Coop did it all behind his other boss' back. ozzie.

Cooper didn't have a contract for this season yet. Ozzie was leaving. What was he supposed to do? He already was operating on the last year of a deal, something the Great Ozzie stated he would never do. Why would Ozzie subject his coaches to something he would not do? I am not a Cooper walks on water guy, but sometimes you have to look out for yourself. That's what Ozzie was doing. You don't seem to have a problem with that, and his situation with another year on his contract was nowhere near as desperate as Cooper's.

Edited by Dick Allen

Who cares if he negotiated at the end of a horrific season? Coop also negotiated behind Ozzie's back. Why is Ozzie the one villain on a team full of villains last year. KW is no saint. Coop was a snake. So what if Ozzie was talking to Miami. Most of you wanted him gone, he sped up that process. It's not like our team was doing anything.

It just disproves your previous point that Ozzie bleeds White Sox red, thats all. You are just talking in circles. Ozzie is a selfish prick that has no team in his heart but Team Guillen, you just wont admit it because he did the most amazing thing ever and was part of a world series team. Pablo Ozuna is possibly the greatest bench player in the history of bench players for this very same reason.

COOPER HAD BEEN THERE A LOT LONGER THAN OZZIE, and many more years with the SOX as a coach

OZZIE WAS DELIBERATELY LEAVING HIS COACHING STAFF OUT OUT TO DRY..."LET THEM SWEAT IT OUT" i remember was his quote

COOPER WANTED TO STAY WITH THE SOX, AND EVEN BE THE MANAGER (perhaps)

OZZIE WANTED TO DITCH THE SOX

Is Ozzie taking care of Jeff Cox now? Paying his bills or mortgage? I think not.

SOMEONE had to stick their foot on the line and say "who's with me, who's staying, who's loyal to JR, to their OTHER boss KW, to Jerry Reinsdorf?"

Wait and see a couple of years from now. I bet Buehrle will be back in a Sox uniform. Guillen will be a 3rd base coach somewhere, or bench coach. Or maybe on TV, since that's what he is really best suited for now, until he says something that's impossible for even him to walk back.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 07:06 PM)
Ozzie Guillen could set fire to an orphanage and it would be the book of matches' fault.

Or he would throw his wife or kids under the bus and try to blame them.

Or KW.

Or Swisher/Tracey/O-Cab/Javy/Brian Anderson/Brandon McCarthy/Hudson.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
It just disproves your previous point that Ozzie bleeds White Sox red, thats all. You are just talking in circles. Ozzie is a selfish prick that has no team in his heart but Team Guillen, you just wont admit it because he did the most amazing thing ever and was part of a world series team. Pablo Ozuna is possibly the greatest bench player in the history of bench players for this very same reason.

I would disagree in your assertion that he is a "selfish prick." As far as the WS, I look at ozzie's whole body of work. Name one other Sox manager who comes close to rivaling what Ozzie did with the Sox? Chuck Tanner? People forget his overall body of work (uh, his RECORD) is pretty impressive with the White Sox, a team with an abysmal past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
The Marlins had to give up players to make it all go away.

Then Sox fans everywhere should be thrilled the way it worked out.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
And the Sox wanted Ozzie out. If they really wanted to keep him, he wouldn't be in Miami now or they would have made Miami give up better players.

That is 100 percent true. This quit on the team stuff is all TOTAL BS. If the Sox wanted ozzie he'd be in Chicago. Case closed. Who cares about the last-week semantics of his leaving and "quitting" on the team. If that makes you all feel better to hate on Ozzie for that, go for it. Like Dick Allen said, the Sox didn't want him. Case closed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 05:49 PM)
trolls1.jpg

If you think I am a troll, you are crazy. I'm as good a White Sox fan as anybody on here. Longevity, memories of past teams, and everything else.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
COOPER HAD BEEN THERE A LOT LONGER THAN OZZIE, and many more years with the SOX as a coach

OZZIE WAS DELIBERATELY LEAVING HIS COACHING STAFF OUT OUT TO DRY..."LET THEM SWEAT IT OUT" i remember was his quote

COOPER WANTED TO STAY WITH THE SOX, AND EVEN BE THE MANAGER (perhaps)

OZZIE WANTED TO DITCH THE SOX

Is Ozzie taking care of Jeff Cox now? Paying his bills or mortgage? I think not.

SOMEONE had to stick their foot on the line and say "who's with me, who's staying, who's loyal to JR, to their OTHER boss KW, to Jerry Reinsdorf?"

Wait and see a couple of years from now. I bet Buehrle will be back in a Sox uniform. Guillen will be a 3rd base coach somewhere, or bench coach. Or maybe on TV, since that's what he is really best suited for now, until he says something that's impossible for even him to walk back.

Ozzie will be a manager until the day he decides he does not want to be a manager. At some point will he be silenced and be another plastic mummy in the dugout and with the press? Perhaps. But he'll be a manager somewhere the next 25 years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
That is 100 percent true. This quit on the team stuff is all TOTAL BS. If the Sox wanted ozzie he'd be in Chicago. Case closed. Who cares about the last-week semantics of his leaving and "quitting" on the team. If that makes you all feel better to hate on Ozzie for that, go for it. Like Dick Allen said, the Sox didn't want him. Case closed.

If the events of the "last week" are closed in reference to Guillen, should not those events of that same week be closed for Cooper as well? You love to drag Coopers name in that week but completely exonerate Guillen as if it never happened. You can't have it both ways Pal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 02:04 PM)
Ozzie will be a manager until the day he decides he does not want to be a manager. At some point will he be silenced and be another plastic mummy in the dugout and with the press? Perhaps. But he'll be a manager somewhere the next 25 years.

His act is old and tired. His new boss likely has buyer's remorse already.

I'll eat Adam Dunn if that becomes true. Swallow him whole, like an anaconda.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
If the events of the "last week" are closed in reference to Guillen, should not those events of that same week be closed for Cooper as well? You love to drag Coopers name in that week but completely exonerate Guillen as if it never happened. You can't have it both ways Pal.

Sure. I just bring it up in defense of Ozzie when people say he quit.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 09:23 PM)
His act is old and tired. His new boss likely has buyer's remorse already.

I'll eat Adam Dunn if that becomes true. Swallow him whole, like an anaconda.

His act will be fine when they start winning again. If for some reason Loria thinks he can do better and axes Ozzie, he'll get hired the ensuing offseason. He's not at the point where this will be his last team. Francona will get a job this offseason if he wants one despite his clubhouse falling apart last year with all that weird stuff going on.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
His act will be fine when they start winning again. If for some reason Loria thinks he can do better and axes Ozzie, he'll get hired the ensuing offseason. He's not at the point where this will be his last team.

I think you severely overrate Ozzie's stature in the game, but we'll find out if you're right long before Ozzie's contract with Miami is up.

“Very hard to watch, to be a part of that,” Guillen said. “You just got to sleep on it. Weak people carry it onto the next day. Strong people just go to sleep and hopefully come back [Tuesday].”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/26/2868...l#storylink=cpy

As the Marlins have struggled through another June swoon, Ozzie Guillen has kept himself busy by changing his lineup on a daily basis.

Only once during the team’s 5-16 start to the month has the Marlins manager put the same lineup on the field on back-to-back days. He finally broke the habit Monday.

After the team’s most lopsided win of the season Sunday against the Blue Jays, Guillen put the same guys out on the field and in the same batting order against the Cardinals on Monday. That’s something he hadn’t done since June 1 at Philadelphia, when he had the same lineup on the field for five games in a row.

“You’re not going to change lineups — unless there’s a lefty pitching — after you score nine runs,” Guillen said. “I think if we continue to play like this, this is the lineup we’re going to keep, to be honest.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/26/2867...b#storylink=cpy