The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 01:24 PM)
Ozzie was great when I was 13 and less of an ass. But since then he's become a clubhouse cancer (as a manager, that is not a good thing) and his interviews lack any semblance of professionalism or class. That's not likable, that's detestable.

He's not the White Sox manager anymore so I hold no loyalty to Ozzie, in sports you root for the laundry. So now that he's gone and I'm almost out of my teenage years it is incredibly easy to see what an arrogant, self-righteous prick that Ozzie Guillen is.

The interview I watched after last night's game was great. He was calm and professional. I guess after that, he decided to rant on the pitchers. Big deal. Don't you Ozzie haters see you have sold your souls to modern sports cliches. You love the manager (when winning), then tire of the manager because he's old news, been around too long. Unless the team keeps winning divisions you tire of him and want him gone even though he's young and as good a manager as anybody out there. You fail to realize the players are the ones actually playing and also responsible for winning division titles. You sell out to the dreaded sports cliche and are no longer loyal to the guy who gave you THE ULTIMATE THRILL as a baseball fan. A WS title. And if anybody could have engineered a postseason run as Oz did, then why the hell has it happened once in 90 years or whatever the string is. Cubs still haven't done it. OZZIE ROCKS!!!!

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
I'm still waiting for an answer on how "it's obvious" that Miami will make the playoffs.

It was for the reasons posted above my response. Yes Miami will get in. Hopefully it's destiny we meet them in the WS and beat them.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 03:34 PM)
The interview I watched after last night's game was great. He was calm and professional. I guess after that, he decided to rant on the pitchers. Big deal. Don't you Ozzie haters see you have sold your souls to modern sports cliches. You love the manager (when winning), then tire of the manager because he's old news, been around too long. Unless the team keeps winning divisions you tire of him and want him gone even though he's young and as good a manager as anybody out there. You fail to realize the players are the ones actually playing and also responsible for winning division titles. You sell out to the dreaded sports cliche and are no longer loyal to the guy who gave you THE ULTIMATE THRILL as a baseball fan. A WS title. And if anybody could have engineered a postseason run as Oz did, then why the hell has it happened once in 90 years or whatever the string is. Cubs still haven't done it. OZZIE ROCKS!!!!

It was for the reasons posted above my response. Yes Miami will get in. Hopefully it's destiny we meet them in the WS and beat them.

I tired of the manager when it became obvious he wasn't about the White Sox. He was about himself, his dopey sons and his bank account. Now the guy who supposedly ran CLee out of town picks his 50 lb. heavier 8 year old ass up. It will be interesting to see if Ozzie's comments match the comments he made previously.

I don't have a problem with guys going to the highest bidder. The problem I have is once you're with them you should be doing your best to assure they do their best. He failed miserably, and the team you claimed he would lead to multiple championships isn't even .500.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
Oh, really? I thought Lee had full veto power?

That's what I thought (5/10 rights?) but then this...

@Ken_Rosenthal

Source: #Marlins were not on Lee's limited no-trade list. In other words, his approval was NOT needed for the trade. #Astros

Then managers are not important and Ozzie is irrelevant to all of the White Sox success in 05.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
I said they are "also responsible."

Nope. Only players. Heath Bell blew the games, not Ozzie. Players lose the games.

GM assembles players, so therefore, Kenny orchestrated '05. No one else.

Case closed.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:05 AM)
So he's responsible for 2007, 2009, 2010, and 2011 then too?

As are the players and GM and everybody on the "team."

I'll never understand the Ozzie hate on here. Makes no sense.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
As are the players and GM and everybody on the "team."

I'll never understand the Ozzie hate on here. Makes no sense.

Nope. Ozzie did nothing those years.

Or any other years.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:30 AM)
Nope. Ozzie did nothing those years.

Or any other years.

It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do. He has one ring and that's more than any other manager in Chicago since 1920 or so.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 4, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do. He has one ring and that's more than any other manager in Chicago since 1920 or so.

But he wasn't responsible, so doesn't matter. Only the players matter.

Carl Everett > Ozzie Guillen. Everett has more rings as a player in Chicago.

I don't think people would hate you nearly as much as they do if you didn't come across as so self-assured. There's nothing worse than a moron that thinks he's the only one who knows what's going on.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 06:14 AM)
I don't think people would hate you nearly as much as they do if you didn't come across as so self-assured. There's nothing worse than a moron that thinks he's the only one who knows what's going on.

Hey this is the world of the anonymous Internet. You either speak forcefully or don't speak at all.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 12:07 AM)
Hey this is the world of the anonymous Internet. You either speak forcefully or don't speak at all.

How does that explain the success of Ventura?

Ozzie speaks to the media, to the public....Ventura choose his words carefully and speak in a way that commands respect from the players and coaches. He's not loud or controversial or charismatic in the way you wish him to be, but it has worked.

Let's look at another example of in the Ozzie School, Bobby Valentine. Has his "act" worked in Boston? Not at all.

This whole idea of "speaking forcefully" is why our country has become so polarized. There's no reasonable people left.

Greg, how many times this season has Robin Ventura thrown anyone under the bus?

Greg, how many times has Ozzie thrown his own Marlins' players under the bus this season? Let's see, we have Logan Morrison, Bell, Zambrano, Gaby Sanchez, Bonifacio....the team makes a HUGE comeback in that game two days ago, Bell blows yet another save when that's expressly what he's paid to do, the guy's clearly not in 100% good shape or condition (similar to Jenks his last 2-3 seasons) and it's the whole team's fault, but NOT Bell's?

Even Bell has to think that is asinine as the closer.

Think its a coincidence that Ventura has been nothing but supportive of every player on the team, most especially Dunn, DeAza, Viciedo, Beckham and even the likes of Morel and Ohman?

Edited by caulfield12