Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob Nightengale ‏ @BNightengale

Commissioner Bud Selig says #MLB supports Guillen suspension: "Mr. Guillen’s remarks ....have no place in our game." #MLB

Ken Rosenthal ‏ @Ken_Rosenthal

Selig just issued statement supporting #Marlins' decision to suspend Guillen. This was a club matter more than an #MLB matter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Bob Nightengale ‏ @BNightengale

Commissioner Bud Selig says #MLB supports Guillen suspension: "Mr. Guillen’s remarks ....have no place in our game." #MLB

Ken Rosenthal ‏ @Ken_Rosenthal

Selig just issued statement supporting #Marlins' decision to suspend Guillen. This was a club matter more than an #MLB matter.

Bud was pretty cordial with Castro when the Orioles went to Cuba. He wouldn't look so good throwing the book at Ozzie.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:28 AM)
5 game suspension, I can dig it.

More than 200 protesters showed up to the stadium.. Don't see any season ticket holders though. This thing will blow over in a couple weeks tops unless Chicago fans keep it alive.AqIW9SqCMAIEd67.jpg

lol quit trolling. Chicago fans are laughing at the fire, Miami is throwing kindling at the fire

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
I'm truly surprised that Ozzie made an ass out of himself this quickly.

I'm not. Ozzie has placed himself in Demigod category and unfortunately for him his IQ was never on parallel with his self-appointed status. It was inevitable something like this was going to happen. And for this reason I've refused to read anything Cowley ever writes again since he's been his biggest enabler. Cowley and Ozzie are in the same category as bananas of things that go bad quickly.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:26 AM)
Thing is, I believe Ozzie knew exactly what he was saying and he meant it. This is less about ignorance and more about arrogance, IMO.

He was trying to sound intelligent by taking a bold stance....unfortunately he's not bright enough to understand the implications such a statement might have to his new community.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
I'm not. Ozzie has placed himself in Demigod category and unfortunately for him his IQ was never on parallel with his self-appointed status. It was inevitable something like this was going to happen. And for this reason I've refused to read anything Cowley ever writes again since he's been his biggest enabler. Cowley and Ozzie are in the same category as bananas of things that go bad quickly.

I expected Ozzie to put his foot in his mouth eventually, but in the first week AND being suspended...that's impressive.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 08:43 PM)
Ozzie is a big mouth and an idiot for not thinking about the possible repercussions of his statement in Miami, but....deep breath...I agree with what he said and think the reactions are pretty over the top.

Yes, Castro has been an oppressive dictator for some time but we helped set the tone for him to come to power. A LOT of the anti-Castro vitriol out of Miami is spewed by bitter dissidents who were robbing Cuba blind for years with the help of an equally oppressive thief of a dictator, Fulgencio Bautista. The Cuban lobby act out of Miami is beyond old. Many of these same folks calling for Guillen's head are the same ones who wanted Elian Gonzalez to remain separated from his father. They were also instrumental in helping Jeb steal the 2000 election for Dubyah. In some ways they are no more in favor of a free democratic society than Castro.

They spent 60 years trying to assassinate Castro and strengthened his anti-American resolve in the process. He dodged every bullet along the way and continued to thumb his nose at us across 90 short miles of water. I do not agree with Castro's politics or human rights record, but Ozzie is not out of line to say that his survival in such adversity is worthy of some level of respect.

With all of that said, I still wonder how the hell Ozzie could say anything positive about Castro while working for a major Miami sports franchise. Just plain dumb!

Great post.

Bautista was just as bad as Castro on human rights violations, only difference is that he was "our friend".

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
Thing is, I believe Ozzie knew exactly what he was saying and he meant it. This is less about ignorance and more about arrogance, IMO.

Telander's earlier story proves yes, he meant it.

What he meant is obvious and arguably not so bad. Ozzie respects Castro for being a complete bastard and surviving, not being assassinated. In Ozzie's weird brain, he respects the fact this man has not been beheaded by now.

He should never have gone there and deserves the backlash he's receiving. To say he "loves Castro" is beyond stupid. If stupidity can get you fired, then he deserves to be fired.

But IMO he should not be fired. Somebody should come to Ozzie's defense and point out things he's done for people, for charity, etc.

We've read enough accounts to realize Ozzie is not a bad man. He in fact, appears to be a good man.

He is a talkaholic and the Marlins knew that when they signed him.

Ozzie sitting alone at that table speaks volumes today. Nobody in the front office wants to be near him as he tries to cool off the hot seat.

The easy way would be to fire him, but again, the Marlins knew they were getting a talkaholic. s***, he offended gays before. He was not gonna be silenced in Miami.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)

What he meant is obvious and arguably not so bad. Ozzie respects Castro for being a complete bastard and surviving, not being assassinated. In Ozzie's weird brain, he respects the fact this man has not been beheaded by now.

He should never have gone there and deserves the backlash he's receiving. To say he "loves Castro" is beyond stupid. If stupidity can get you fired, then he deserves to be fired.

But IMO he should not be fired. Somebody should come to Ozzie's defense and point out things he's done for people, for charity, etc.

We've read enough accounts to realize Ozzie is not a bad man.

GREG! You've found your calling! Run to him! Defend him! Write an article! Do SOMETHING!

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
And now... it is time for people to lay off him. He apologized dozens of times (we didn't get that in Chicago) and he got suspended for 5 games so those people down there need to move on with their lives.

Honestly though, if a Cuban fan decided not to support the Marlins financially based on this, I wouldn't blame them.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
Honestly though, if a Cuban fan decided not to support the Marlins financially based on this, I wouldn't blame them.

That team's gone unsupported despite winning two titles in two decades. This fake outcry is getting ridiculous. Ozzie says stupid things. No one down there should be surprised. He also said these things about Castro well before he was ever hired. With Ozzie, you know what you get, and that's Ozzie being Ozzie. I'm just glad he's not our problem anymore, because his act and his inability to manage the past few seasons had gotten incredibly old.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)

We've read enough accounts to realize Ozzie is not a bad man. He in fact, appears to be a good man.

He is a talkaholic and the Marlins knew that when they signed him.

Ozzie sitting alone at that table speaks volumes today. Nobody in the front office wants to be near him as he tries to cool off the hot seat.

The easy way would be to fire him, but again, the Marlins knew they were getting a talkaholic. s***, he offended gays before. He was not gonna be silenced in Miami.

See also Cowley, Joe.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
That team's gone unsupported despite winning two titles in two decades. This fake outcry is getting ridiculous. Ozzie says stupid things. No one down there should be surprised. He also said these things about Castro well before he was ever hired. With Ozzie, you know what you get, and that's Ozzie being Ozzie. I'm just glad he's not our problem anymore, because his act and his inability to manage the past few seasons had gotten incredibly old.

Honestly though, if you're the Marlins, and you've made the decision to risk the reputation of your franchise on making Ozzie Guillen one of the games highest paid managers, how do you not also hire him a media consultant?

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
And now... it is time for people to lay off him. He apologized dozens of times (we didn't get that in Chicago) and he got suspended for 5 games so those people down there need to move on with their lives.

Great idea. Also this isn't effecting the entire fan base the way it seems. The national coverage is what blew this into a huge deal. Miami is not Cuba. There was no firing squad waiting for ozzie at his press conference, there weren't burning vehicles, just 200 some people that felt offended by this and needed to be heard while the rest of the city seems to be just rolling their eyes at how crazy this has gotten where ESPN makes it look like no one will ever attend a marlins game again. When ozzie is back from suspension and calls an umpire an asshole we will all be back to laughing at ozzie being ozzie.