The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

Yet, here’s Guillen alienating the very community that the Marlins are desperate to embrace. If the Marlins don’t punish him now, when will they? Ask the Chicago White Sox, who allowed Guillen to get away with one indiscretion after another before finally deciding that the relationship needed to end.

The Marlins probably had pre-written apologies ready to cut and paste the day they hired Guillen, but his remarks on Castro were beyond the pale. If he wants to get drunk at the hotel bar every night, as he told CBSSports.com, that’s his business. But Castro is a flashpoint for a community in which he has lived for 12 years.

I’m not sure even what Guillen was trying to say to Time – that Castro is what, a survivor? Whatever Guillen’s point, it’s almost unthinkable that the manager of the Miami Marlins could say such a thing, particularly when he effectively acts as the spokesman for the team.

I like Guillen. I worked with him when he was an analyst for FOX during the 2010 World Series. I’ve shared many a laugh with him, and yes, chuckled at his creative use of vulgarity and some of his inappropriate remarks.

Guillen is non-stop energy, mostly harmless. None other than Eddie Einhorn — vice-chairman of the White Sox, the team that traded Guillen to the Marlins — pulled me aside at the opening of the Marlins’ new ballpark and said quietly, “He’s a good person.”

There it comes, this time from Rosenthal.

The script for the Cowley defense, book it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Ozzie can't apologize enough and Cowley and Oney aren't spouting off on twitter, you know its pretty serious. I really believe the Marlins may whack him if his apology doesn't go well and they can figure out a way not to have to pay him the balance of his contract.

Actually Cowley is tweeting this is no big deal that they should slap him with a phantom fine, pretend they are mad at him and let it blow over.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
I really believe the Marlins may whack him if his apology doesn't go well and they can figure out a way not to have to pay him the balance of his contract.

.....and then hopefully throw tons of money and brazilian dancers at Tony La Russa and hope he bites!

If Ozzie can't apologize enough and Cowley and Oney aren't spouting off on twitter, you know its pretty serious. I really believe the Marlins may whack him if his apology doesn't go well and they can figure out a way not to have to pay him the balance of his contract.

Actually Cowley is tweeting this is no big deal that they should slap him with a phantom fine, pretend they are mad at him and let it blow over.

Of course he would.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 06:42 PM)
.....and then hopefully throw tons of money and brazilian dancers at Tony La Russa and hope he bites!

They have the best place to hang if they get ejected at home than any other team in the league.Rogers had one of the better columns about the situation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6047893.story

What I don't understand is the apology. Was Ozzie only kidding when he said he loved, then said he respected Castro? He doesn't now because a lot of people have a different view and he's in trouble or is he sorry people don't agree with him? I thought Ozzie didn't care what people think, he tells you how he feels. Phony and dumb, that's Ozzie.

Edited by Dick Allen

Cowardly has no spine. None at all.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/guillen-retur...P2Fb5DKw.0RvLYF

Guillen LEAVING the team to go back to Miami to apologize. Public officials calling for him to lose his job. This is amazing!

This isn't really surprising. It's an easy way to score political points with the Cuban voting community in Miami without pissing off any important constituency.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
They have the best place to hang if they get ejected at home than any other team in the league.Rogers had one of the better columns about the situation.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,6047893.story

What I don't understand is the apology. Was Ozzie only kidding when he said he loved, then said he respected Castro? He doesn't now because a lot of people have a different view and he's in trouble or is he sorry people don't agree with him? I thought Ozzie didn't care what people think, he tells you how he feels. Phony and dumb, that's Ozzie.

The apology was the usual phony apology if you were offended statement.

PRESS CONFERENCE 10:30 AM Tuesday at Marlins Park, Cowley, better take the red eye, this might be your last Guillen article for awhile

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/09/2739...aring-thin.html

Guillen getting hammered by local Miami Herald columnist and Miami mayor.

Ramirez and fellow Marlins broadcaster Yiki Quintana did not wish to speak about the situation but Ramirez said he felt Guillen was doing the right thing by returning to Miami.

“Obviously it’s something that was going to affect people a lot and [Guillen] realizes that,” Ramirez said. “I think he will answer everything [in Miami].”

The ripple effect reached members of the Cuban community even in Philadelphia.

Phillies spanish radio announcer Rickie Ricardo, who was born in New York but whose family migrated from Cuba, said the situation was something that could be more damaging to the team’s image than anything negative on the field.

“Let’s hope Ozzie addresses it and clears things up,” Ricardo said. “That’s a subject that’s untouchable. This team could go 0-50 and it wouldn’t hurt the Cuban community as much as him saying something like that.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/09/2739...l#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/09/2739...guillen-in.html

The battle for politicians and activists in S. Florida to distance themselves from Ozzie.

Edited by caulfield12

Uva de Aragon, associate director of the Cuban Research Institute at Florida International University, agreed that Guillen’s remarks were insensitive, but added that many people have fueled the controversy to suit their own motives.

She expects it won’t take long for the firestorm to subside.

Dario Moreno, a pollster who has worked for Gimenez, said the Marlins knew what they were getting when they hired Guillen, long known for his colorful personality and tendency to put his foot in his mouth.

“Is what he says important? No,” Moreno said. “He’s not an expert in foreign politics. He’s controversial. He is a manager. This should be about sports.”

Even Chairman Martinez, speaking to radio hosts Roberto Rodríguez Tejera and Helen Aguirre Ferré, said it might be enough to suspend Guillen if he delivers a “sincere” apology.

And Miami Mayor Tomás Regalado, who voted against the ballpark deal and has repeatedly criticized the Marlins, said he accepted Guillen’s apology.

“I think it’s a lesson for him, and we should move on,” Regalado said.

Guillen’s talk-first, think-later nature has made him one of Major League Baseball’s most intriguing — and inflammatory — characters. Guillen won the World Series as manager of the Chicago White Sox in 2005, but his tenure in the Windy City may be remembered more for what he said than what he did.

Among his most notable provocations:

• Using a profanity-laced gay slur while referring to a local sports columnist critical of the White Sox. Guillen later apologized to the gay community, but not the writer in question.

• Speaking out against Arizona’s strict illegal immigration law in 2010. He was quoted as saying that “this country can’t survive without [immigrants]. There are a lot of people from this country who are lazy. A lot of people in this country want to be on the computer and send e-mails to people. We do the hard work.’’

• Praising Chávez and appearing on his radio show in 2005, only to deny ever speaking to him when he was introduced as the Marlins manager last fall. He has since criticized the longtime Venezuelan president.

Guillen even admitted Saturday to drinking to excess after every game, claiming he’s done so for more than two decades.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/09/2739...l#storylink=cpy

Ozzie is a big mouth and an idiot for not thinking about the possible repercussions of his statement in Miami, but....deep breath...I agree with what he said and think the reactions are pretty over the top.

Yes, Castro has been an oppressive dictator for some time but we helped set the tone for him to come to power. A LOT of the anti-Castro vitriol out of Miami is spewed by bitter dissidents who were robbing Cuba blind for years with the help of an equally oppressive thief of a dictator, Fulgencio Bautista. The Cuban lobby act out of Miami is beyond old. Many of these same folks calling for Guillen's head are the same ones who wanted Elian Gonzalez to remain separated from his father. They were also instrumental in helping Jeb steal the 2000 election for Dubyah. In some ways they are no more in favor of a free democratic society than Castro.

They spent 60 years trying to assassinate Castro and strengthened his anti-American resolve in the process. He dodged every bullet along the way and continued to thumb his nose at us across 90 short miles of water. I do not agree with Castro's politics or human rights record, but Ozzie is not out of line to say that his survival in such adversity is worthy of some level of respect.

With all of that said, I still wonder how the hell Ozzie could say anything positive about Castro while working for a major Miami sports franchise. Just plain dumb!

Edited by Pants Rowland

CLEVELAND -- Alexei Ramirez is a Cuban native, but with his wife, Mildred, being a native of the Dominican Republic, he did not defect when coming to the United States to play baseball.

The White Sox shortstop rarely if ever talks about Cuban politics or dictator Fidel Castro. But he did take time on Monday to briefly address former manager Ozzie Guillen's comments referring to the despot as someone he loved and respected in an upcoming Time Magazine article.

"His opinion is not the same opinion I have," said Ramirez through translator and White Sox director of cultural development Jackson Miranda on the Guillen issue. "Everybody is free to have an opinion.

"It's one of those that there are some people who like Castro and some people who don't. In Miami, it's definitely of a different thought frame."

Although Ramirez had not heard or read Guillen's comments, he felt a public apology that Guillen is set to deliver on Tuesday could go some way in putting the matter behind him.

"Apologizing is definitely a big first step," Ramirez said. "Again, I feel that everyone has their opinion, but I also feel that people should be forgiven. So, if he's going to apologize, then I feel that hopefully it will be accepted. I would just say whatever his thoughts, whatever his comments, those are Ozzie's comments. That's more on him."

Scott Merkin

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 07:43 PM)
Ozzie is a big mouth and an idiot for not thinking about the possible repercussions of his statement in Miami, but....deep breath...I agree with what he said and think the reactions are pretty over the top.

Yes, Castro has been an oppressive dictator for some time but we helped set the tone for him to come to power. A LOT of the anti-Castro vitriol out of Miami is spewed by bitter dissidents who were robbing Cuba blind for years with the help of an equally oppressive thief of a dictator, Fulgencio Bautista. The Cuban lobby act out of Miami is beyond old. Many of these same folks calling for Guillen's head are the same ones who wanted Elian Gonzalez to remain separated from his father. They were also instrumental in helping Jeb steal the 2000 election for Dubyah. In some ways they are no more in favor of a free democratic society than Castro.

They spent 60 years trying to assassinate Castro and strengthened his anti-American resolve in the process. He dodged every bullet along the way and continued to thumb his nose at us across 90 short miles of water. I do not agree with Castro's politics or human rights record, but Ozzie is not out of line to say that his survival in such adversity is worthy of some level of respect.

With all of that said, I still wonder how the hell Ozzie could say anything positive about Castro while working for a major Miami sports franchise. Just plain dumb!

Well put. Castro is responsible for some terrible atrocities but this whole episode stinks of manufactured outrage.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/11806414-41...ro-in-2008.html

Telander taking Guillen to the woodshed. Interesting they didn't let Cowley address this directly, at least yet. Maybe he'll be at the presser tomorrow.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/cowley/1174...know-basis.html

This Cowley column from five days ago complaining about the Sox organization not being "open" enough about information like who the closer is seems even more hilarious in light of Ozzie's being "too open."

Who can blame them? After all, with Guillen gone, everyone is happy. Williams finally gets to be the face of the franchise, a position he long has coveted but couldn’t have under the huge shadow left by Guillen.

Sure, Williams pretends he wants to be “under the radar,’’ but he’s on television more than Snooki. The latest is the new North Side-South Side Nike ad. A bunch of players from the Sox and Cubs are shown training, and there’s Williams, lifting weights and sweating.

What the hell does a GM need to train for?

You know why Theo Epstein or Jed Hoyer weren’t in it? BECAUSE THEY’RE EXECUTIVES! They’re building teams, not muscle and ego.

It’s crazy until you consider this: The Sox must make this transformation. Who knows, it just might work. The idea that they are a 90-95-loss team seems far-fetched. They should breathe down the backs of the Tigers in the first half before fading in September and still finish second or third in the Central.

What’s next for the franchise?

Sometimes you have to go all the way back to Step 1. No one said detox is easy.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
I really believe the Marlins may whack him if his apology doesn't go well...

Having had the chance to read about and listen to more opinion and reactionary pieces, I'm really starting to get that vibe as well. It's funny, sometimes a story will break that you initially don't think twice about (or even dismiss entirely), but it gradually picks up steam until it gets cartoonishly large and takes on a life of it's own.

Pissing off a chunk of people you were counting on to help justify off-season spending and simultaneously taking the spotlight off of the shiny new stadium that was supposed to save baseball in Florida are probably 1 and 1a on a list of things you didn't want to see happen in the 2012 season. The growing list of people making a scene out of this would also be troublesome for me if I'm Lorie- despite the suspicion that many of them probably don't really give a damn, but recognize this as a prime opportunity to attach their names and reap the good publicity.

I still think it would be bogus if the consequences went beyond reading an apology and maybe enrolling in a Cuban History class at the local Jr. College. Also curious about how this would have played out if he stuck around with the Sox. He would have been on thin ice here to begin with.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

With all respect to Rosenthal, a 30-day sitdown is ridiculous. Not only because it'd be a longer punishment than transgressions in baseball history that were much worse, but because it's not as if he directly endorsed the despicable methods (including obstruction of free speech) that Castro used to rule over the island country for more than half a century.

When I read Guillen's comments, I interpret them as the product of a rambling idiot unable to draw a distinction between the reality of Castro and the weird admiration our society has built up for fictional rogues who gave the middle finger to those who wanted them dead (i.e., Scarface, Tony Soprano). One day we're reading how Guillen says he gets drunk every night, win or lose, and the next we're expecting him to be well-versed on the societal implications of talking about Castro in Miami?

What's more, I'm willing to bet that Guillen's thoughts on Castro were likely one of 500 off-the-cuff observations he made that day, whether it was to a relief pitcher on his way to get treatment or in front of reporters with notepads and recorders. Serious question here: If Guillen doesn't have an adequate filter to judge what should and shouldn't come out of his mouth — if he's freely flowing from thoughts about dictators to the yacht he wants to buy — why are we assigning any value or judgment to his ramblings?

I don't want to be seen as condoning Guillen's comments here. And I don't want to praise the Marlins for acting like they had nothing to do with it either. When the two sides agreed to a four-year deal, the first bullet point should have been that Castro's name does not leave Guillen's lips for any reason the entire time he wears a Marlins uniform.

But with Guillen exposing himself as completely ignorant to the issues involved less than a week into his first season, I think the immediate loss of respect at his new workplace is a worse punishment than any suspension could possibly bring. Taking away his Marlins hat and replacing it with a dunce cap until the All-Star break seems perfectly fitting.

BigLeagueStew at yahoosports.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion...0,2369568.story

Chicago Tribune editorial board getting into the mix

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 9, 2012 -> 11:27 PM)
Who can blame them? After all, with Guillen gone, everyone is happy. Williams finally gets to be the face of the franchise, a position he long has coveted but couldnt have under the huge shadow left by Guillen.

Sure, Williams pretends he wants to be under the radar, but hes on television more than Snooki. The latest is the new North Side-South Side Nike ad. A bunch of players from the Sox and Cubs are shown training, and theres Williams, lifting weights and sweating.

What the hell does a GM need to train for?

You know why Theo Epstein or Jed Hoyer werent in it? BECAUSE THEYRE EXECUTIVES! Theyre building teams, not muscle and ego.

With that I do agree tho, WTF is doing on the Sox commercial? LOL this is stupid. He's getting in shape so he can make better moves during the trade deadline?

LINK.

Here's the beginning of the actual TIME MAGAZINE story...interestingly, the quote/s are from the first week of March, more than one month ago. And Time actually has the picture of Guillen wearing a White Sox uniform from the 2011 season!!! Bet Reinsdorf and KW aren't happy with that.

"I love Fidel Castro," Blurts Ozzie Guillen, the new manager of the Miami Marlins, in his Jupiter, Fla., spring-training office before an early-March team workout. During a typically stream-of-consciousness Ozzie oratory, he has covered some favorite topics, such as his passion for bullfighting ("You're giving the animal an opportunity to kill you"), disdain for sports shrinks ("You're 4 for 4, you don't need psychology. You're 0 for 4, you need a f---ing guy to get you ready to play?") and the benefits of brutal honesty ("I told my wife, 'I don't like the perfume you're wearing.' She was mad, but meanwhile,...(the rest is available through subscription)

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...l#ixzz1rc15Ys92

http://www.cnnsi.com/video/mlb/2012/04/09/...1&eref=sihp

Verducci on why Ozzie shouldn't be suspended

Edited by caulfield12