2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
Cubs just DFA'd DeWitt. Give me him over Escobar as a back-up 2b/3b

When escobar struck out yesterday, my first thought was that i hate young players on the bench. Besides catchers, bench players should be guys that used to start.

After looking at Reed's splits vs righties this year and Peralta's splits vs LHP/RHP this year....it's really frustrating that the Reed trial as closer didn't start a day earlier. Reed's numbers on the road this year are amazing, and I'm excited to keep watching him develop.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 6, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
27 games in--that's a month of baseball.

RS: 107

RA: 104

Starters averaging 6.2 innings, and a 3.68 ERA. That may change now.

Dunn 8 homers, and 22 RBIs. If he does that five more times, 48 homers, 132 RBIs, hitting .250, and an OBP of .376. He's back. Stop booing every K.

Sox score less than 4 runs: 1-10

Sox score 4 runs: 5-3

Sox score more than 4 runs: 7-1

18 quality starts. 11-7 record in those games. That was a problem last year, and that continues. Good teams convert quality starts into wins. Anything less than 80% isn't good enough.

Just for comparison, the Tigers have probably gotten away with more just to get to 14-13 after 27 games.

15 quality starts (11-4 in those games)

Starting pitching: 3.98 ERA in 156 innings (average start just over 5.2 innings)

Bullpen 4.02 ERA

RS: 115

RA: 118

Fister is coming back now, so they probably just played their worst baseball of the season and got away with it.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Wouldn't be the worst thing for a day off for the team. Peavy, Sale and Danks could sure use more rest it seems.

Dunno if this has been mentioned....and I think you might have commented on this in the game thread...I read Peavy is skipping his between starts routine this week...

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 7, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
I haven't seen a thread for this but was kind of away from baseball yesterday.. we have called up Jose Quintana to replace Axelrod and be the starter in Chris Sale's place?

I think Axelrods still the guy they just wanted to bring up Quintana to have a another arm in the pen. That def worked out for them and earned him future consideration should Axelrod fail.

Man does this place get annoying when the sox play bad baseball...If I wasnt so addicted to these damn boards I'd stop coming...I'm not in doom and gloom mode yet and its annoying reading posts from those of you that are. I'm still a month away from getting there. If the Cubans dont heat up in that month time span then I start to worry. If they can get it going and the sox can go ADA-Lexi-PK-Dunn-Dayan-AJ-Rios-Becks-Morel then I think the offense can do enough be an over .500 that can contend.

As far as the pitching goes, I'm an Axelrod fan and I think he's a capable 4-5 starter. I'm more concerned about Humber than I am Dylan to be honest. That said Dylan might have to become the #4 starter I said I think hes capable of and then we'll have to see If guys like Stults and Quintana are legit or guys like Molina and perhaps Stewart can become serviceable #5s.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ May 7, 2012 -> 11:06 AM)
I haven't seen a thread for this but was kind of away from baseball yesterday.. we have called up Jose Quintana to replace Axelrod and be the starter in Chris Sale's place?

I think we called up Quintana because we weren't sure if Sale was ready to go and we needed more "arms who could throw a couple innings" out of the bullpen yesterday with the double header scheduled. Quintana was on his normal schedule and they didn't want to call Molina up to the bigs, so they called up Quintana and gave Molina the start in AAA. I believe Quintana has already been sent back down after his outing yesterday.

Not sure what they'll do with Axelrod since they sent him down.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
I think Axelrods still the guy they just wanted to bring up Quintana to have a another arm in the pen. That def worked out for them and earned him future consideration should Axelrod fail.

Man does this place get annoying when the sox play bad baseball...If I wasnt so addicted to these damn boards I'd stop coming...I'm not in doom and gloom mode yet and its annoying reading posts from those of you that are. I'm still a month away from getting there. If the Cubans dont heat up in that month time span then I start to worry. If they can get it going and the sox can go ADA-Lexi-PK-Dunn-Dayan-AJ-Rios-Becks-Morel then I think the offense can do enough be an over .500 that can contend.

As far as the pitching goes, I'm an Axelrod fan and I think he's a capable 4-5 starter. I'm more concerned about Humber than I am Dylan to be honest. That said Dylan might have to become the #4 starter I said I think hes capable of and then we'll have to see If guys like Stults and Quintana are legit or guys like Molina and perhaps Stewart can become serviceable #5s.

Just those starting pitching names alone are pretty strong reason to be doom and gloom.

Actually, it's actually a much brighter future the more we lose right now because it means we can finally start to turn the pieces on this roster around and stop pretending we're legitimately in the process of competing in 2012.

The faster KW acknowledges this, the faster the organization will be able to be competitive again. Just don't believe it can happen under KW at this point.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 6, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
After looking at Reed's splits vs righties this year and Peralta's splits vs LHP/RHP this year....it's really frustrating that the Reed trial as closer didn't start a day earlier. Reed's numbers on the road this year are amazing, and I'm excited to keep watching him develop.

I hope you've got seats near the bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 07:42 AM)
I think we called up Quintana because we weren't sure if Sale was ready to go and we needed more "arms who could throw a couple innings" out of the bullpen yesterday with the double header scheduled. Quintana was on his normal schedule and they didn't want to call Molina up to the bigs, so they called up Quintana and gave Molina the start in AAA. I believe Quintana has already been sent back down after his outing yesterday.

Not sure what they'll do with Axelrod since they sent him down.

He has to be out 10 days unless someone is sent to the DL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2012 -> 09:26 AM)
Just those starting pitching names alone are pretty strong reason to be doom and gloom.

Actually, it's actually a much brighter future the more we lose right now because it means we can finally start to turn the pieces on this roster around and stop pretending we're legitimately in the process of competing in 2012.

The faster KW acknowledges this, the faster the organization will be able to be competitive again. Just don't believe it can happen under KW at this point.

Axlerod, Stults, and Quintana all looked pretty good over the weekend... Hopefully this year all we have to see is Axelrod, who hasnt had an era over 3 since 2008 and has looked good in his time in the majors the past 2 years.

If Humber continues to blow up and we have to see another starter brought in then I start to worry as I dont think Stults is the answer and guys like Molina and Quintana need more time in the minors.

Like my previous post said I'm still a month away from doom and gloom and a lot of that is based on the whole "Cubans start slow" angle. I wanna see if Dayan, a middle of the order bat, and Lexi, a bat that can and has carried the O, can get it goin in that months time. All the focus has been locked in on Becks and Morel for there struggles so far but the cubans mean more to the lineup than those 2.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:52 PM)
On a positive note, Dunn is on pace for 46 HRs and 119 RBIs, based on 550 ABs. I think that's a bit high, but it looks like he's returned to form.

Yup we've finally got that DH/LH power bat we've been missing the last few years. If the Cubans get hot and Rios is not the worst hitter in baseball this lineups gonna be very good IMO.

This is a pretty telling story from Greg Walker. I hesitate to even post it, but even Walker felt like it was time for him to go, and he wasn't being effective anymore.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1884307.story

Former hitting coach Walker cites 'mistakes' made with Sox

11:55 a.m. CDT, May 8, 2012

Greg Walker relinquished his position as Chicago White Sox hitting coach last September, bringing an end to a turbulent nine-year tenure during which he clashed with general manager Ken Williams.

On Tuesday, Walker -- back in town as hitting coach of the Atlanta Braves, who are playing a three-game series against the Chicago Cubs -- expressed regrets about his final season with the Sox.

"I made some mistakes last year on the South Side," Walker told "The McNeil and Spiegel Show" on WSCR-AM 670. "You try to learn from them and move on."

Asked to elaborate, Walker said, "I had quit being myself. I had started coaching on my heels, not being aggressive, maybe worrying about what people thought or perceptions and in the past I really didn't care, I just did what I thought was right. I think the situation other there just got me to be kind of defensive, and not as positive, not as much energy as I needed. ... I needed a change."

Walker said former Sox manager Jim Fregosi, an advance scout for the Braves, encouraged him to pursue the position in Atlanta and said it has been a good move for him.

As for whose perceptions and thoughts he was concerned about last season, Walker said, "Whoever. In the past I didn't care. I cared but I didn't care. I'm always respectful to people and appreciated people's opinions, but when it gets down to it the only people I've got to please are the people in that clubhouse. I did a pretty good job of that for a long time, but I kind of got away from it.

"I spent nine years over there in a high-pressure, high-expectations big market, an interesting mix of people involved, to say the least. That's a long time."

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ May 8, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
Yup we've finally got that DH/LH power bat we've been missing the last few years. If the Cubans get hot and Rios is not the worst hitter in baseball this lineups gonna be very good IMO.

There were a lot of question marks with this team, and the offense was one of them. So far it seems like Rios is better (not great, but better) and Dunn is what we expected him to be when signed. Now there are more concerns about the starting pitching and parts of the bullpen. It seems like we just can't have everything go right for a while.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 8, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
This is a pretty telling story from Greg Walker. I hesitate to even post it, but even Walker felt like it was time for him to go, and he wasn't being effective anymore.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1884307.story

Sounds like he's relieved to be far away from Chicago.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ May 8, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
On a positive note, Dunn is on pace for 46 HRs and 119 RBIs, based on 550 ABs. I think that's a bit high, but it looks like he's returned to form.

He is also on pace for 233 strikeouts, which would set the record by 10.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 8, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
And perhaps, from the former manager as well?

Perhaps, or the GM. Or the owner. Or stubborn hitters. Who knows? Team dysfunction.

The former manager has won seven in a row and counting.