THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

Quin

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 05:09 AM)
Huge effort by Floyd tonight. Sox had more bloop hits tonight than they've had over the last two weeks, and Beckham's homer was a nice finishing touch. I'm happy with Ventura and his decision not to retaliate in the 9th tonight.

Still, it was a way for the Cubs to get the last word in.

They took 2 of 3 and plunked DeAza.

Cubs win; Cubs win.

Now this team needs to shake it out and get the funk off them and rattle off 3 or 4 in a row.

Hopefully this is the start of a nice Gavin run of dominance we know he's capable of.

If the Sox alternate good and bad months they could still win the division with how s***ty it is. April: Bad. May: Good. June: Bad. July: Good. August: Bad. September: Good. Haha

That would be the only way this team could make the playoffs cause a run like that all season would drive us fans f***ing bonkers haha

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 05:20 AM)
It's still frustrating that this year's interleague record is what it is. Even with a sweep of Milwaukee, 8 losses against the NL is going to feel like such a wasted opportunity.

I don't think we're gonna sweep Milwaukee; just a hunch.

I suppose Ventura made the right decision by not retaliating in the 9th. But, what the hell? Why would Corpus throw at De Aza? Because a broken bat hit their pitcher? I'm sure Escobar planned that, right?

Otherwise, great win over a bad team. It's about time Floyd pitched well. Beckham...good stuff there.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 05:00 AM)
I suppose Ventura made the right decision by not retaliating in the 9th. But, what the hell? Why would Corpus throw at De Aza? Because a broken bat hit their pitcher? I'm sure Escobar planned that, right?

Otherwise, great win over a bad team. It's about time Floyd pitched well. Beckham...good stuff there.

I don't know, I may be way off base here, so flail away if you wish. I have never met Dale Svuem, nor do I know much about him and just slightly remember him as a player. But......he seems like kind of a punk to me, like most other teams fans think of A.J.

It seems that as many times as the Sox have been hit in the 2 Cubs series this year that most, if not all of those came from the manager. I don't follow the Cubs much and have no idea if they are doing this to other teams as well, but it sure looks like the times they plunked the Sox this were not accidental. Maybe it's Svuems idea of instilling the "we're tough and will not take crap from anybody" attitude that a team that has not won anything in over a century may need.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
I don't know, I may be way off base here, so flail away if you wish. I have never met Dale Svuem, nor do I know much about him and just slightly remember him as a player. But......he seems like kind of a punk to me, like most other teams fans think of A.J.

It seems that as many times as the Sox have been hit in the 2 Cubs series this year that most, if not all of those came from the manager. I don't follow the Cubs much and have no idea if they are doing this to other teams as well, but it sure looks like the times they plunked the Sox this were not accidental. Maybe it's Svuems idea of instilling the "we're tough and will not take crap from anybody" attitude that a team that has not won anything in over a century may need.

I don't think there was any doubt that last night's plunking was intentional. If I'm not mistaken (and I may be), I thought Corpus' arm angle was different on that pitch. He usually delivers from nearly sidearm, and it looked like he was closer to 3/4 on that one. Regardless, the way Corpus acted and the way Svuem immediately started jawing at the ump, I'm nearly positive it was intentional.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)

I have no idea whether you're right about the "punk" stuff, but I think you're likely correct with the bold. Otherwise, there's really no logical explanation for what certainly looked intentional.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
I don't think there was any doubt that last night's plunking was intentional. If I'm not mistaken (and I may be), I thought Corpus' arm angle was different on that pitch. He usually delivers from nearly sidearm, and it looked like he was closer to 3/4 on that one. Regardless, the way Corpus acted and the way Svuem immediately started jawing at the ump, I'm nearly positive it was intentional.

FWIW, from @Scottmerkin

De Aza said that he definitely felt Corpas hit him intentionally to open the eighth. It seemed pretty obvious.

De Aza also said he's friends with Corpas so it wasn't anything De Aza did.

When asked what he could do in that situation, De Aza smiled and said, "wear it."

We would have won, and likely swept, the series if we had left our rotation alone. Instead we decided to audition a failed mop-up guy, effectively conceding the first game and giving the hapless Cubs hope and momentum. I understand the need for extra rest, but not during this series, which is so important to the fans. And especially when you're trying to find ways to get fans to the park.

And yes, fans do care about beating the Cubs, even if it's in vogue for "serious" fans on both sides of town to try to outdo each other in professing how little they care about the series.

We would have won, and likely swept, the series if we had left our rotation alone. Instead we decided to audition a failed mop-up guy, effectively conceding the first game and giving the hapless Cubs hope and momentum. I understand the need for extra rest, but not during this series, which is so important to the fans. And especially when you're trying to find ways to get fans to the park.

And yes, fans do care about beating the Cubs, even if it's in vogue for "serious" fans on both sides of town to try to outdo each other in professing how little they care about the series.

But at least it exposed our problems and forced us to deal with them. I felt like this series was an audition for guys like Stewart and Floyd. Floyd passed, Stewart failed. Now at least we won't have to see Stewart any more. Not starting and not out of the pen. Less problems to deal with in the future.