2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
The whole not 1, not 2, not 3, etc etc is still far more annoying to me then the Howard drama. The less the Heat win the happier I'll be.

Lebron learnt that from this man when he did this after winning his 5th championship against the jazz. Remember? He counted up to 8 championships on his fingers! So arrogant i tell ya.

jordanfingers.jpg

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 12:11 PM)
Ray Allen is 38 years old. I won't rely on him to be healthy unless he hires the phoenix medical staff and becomes vegan like nash and dudley. I didn't say Allen isn't good, but he's not premier anymore.

And on a team with LeBron, Wade and Bosh, he doesn't have to be premier. How hard is this to understand? Stand behind the line and knock down wide open 3's and play competent defense. That's all he needs to do.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
And on a team with LeBron, Wade and Bosh, he doesn't have to be premier. How hard is this to understand? Stand behind the line and knock down wide open 3's and play competent defense. That's all he needs to do.

I really don't care, and it's not something I'm arguing against. I didn't jump in and say Ray Allen is worthless and will not be able to upgrade on Shane Battier and Mike Miller, I said he's not a premier player anymore. He's not.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 12:30 PM)
I really don't care, and it's not something I'm arguing against. I didn't jump in and say Ray Allen is worthless and will not be able to upgrade on Shane Battier and Mike Miller, I said he's not a premier player anymore. He's not.

Ray Allen shot over 45% from 3 last year. That's all they need from him.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Lebron learnt that from this man when he did this after winning his 5th championship against the jazz. Remember? He counted up to 8 championships on his fingers! So arrogant i tell ya.

jordanfingers.jpg

Oh stop it, had he said something about winning 6 or 7 after winning a few in a row it'd be a different story. Jordan and the Bulls proved they were the best team of that era, Miami counted their chickens before they hatched and because of that, that whole team has a target on their back.

"To be the best you have to beat the best". At the point of their party, they beat no one, the Heat may have had 2 or 3 of the best players in the game but at that point they were not the best team in the league.

As long as Dwight an Co. in LA dont have some outlandish party and get overly cocky on how many titles they're going to win I will root for them over Miami.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
Ray Allen ain't s***. He's only the best 3pt shooter in NBa history...

but besides that, he ain't s***.

/green font

I was as shocked as any that the 2011 Celtics didn't win it all with one of the best centers of all time on their team!

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:19 AM)

jordanfingers.jpg

MJ was arrogant. Moreso, however, he was competitive and that's what drew people to him. They asked LeBron before the Finals, "what if you lose again?" LeBron's response was along the lines of, "as long as we gave it our all I'll be okay." This is a reasonable response since LeBron is a millionaire and basketball is just a game...but can you imagine Michael Jordan saying that? Michael Jordan refused to lose a f***ing practice! While he was a resilient character as you must be to stick around that long in the league, before the fact there was no acceptance of losing. This is the kind of killer instinct that some people see in Kobe...makes me think of the "passing the torch" stuff from Kobe to Derrick early this season. Kobe's response? "I'm not passing s***"

As to this specific situation...when LeBron gets to his 3rd, 4th, 5th championship...he can start making some more outlandish claims about how many he'll win. People are imagining how a super team in LA could overthrow them this year or how a couple years down the line Wade will be too old or this or that scenario could stop them from winning....this is why 6 championships is amazing. People get old, get hurt, players rearrange, new talent arrives, all that and STILL you win? That's pretty f***in' cool. If the Heat can do all that, that will be pretty impressive. Until they've done something more than what a team like the 2011 Dallas Mavericks did, they should probably just focus on next season (a season in which they seem to be the favorite)

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 01:09 PM)
MJ was arrogant. Moreso, however, he was competitive and that's what drew people to him. They asked LeBron before the Finals, "what if you lose again?" LeBron's response was along the lines of, "as long as we gave it our all I'll be okay." This is a reasonable response since LeBron is a millionaire and basketball is just a game...but can you imagine Michael Jordan saying that? Michael Jordan refused to lose a f***ing practice! While he was a resilient character as you must be to stick around that long in the league, before the fact there was no acceptance of losing. This is the kind of killer instinct that some people see in Kobe...makes me think of the "passing the torch" stuff from Kobe to Derrick early this season. Kobe's response? "I'm not passing s***"

As to this specific situation...when LeBron gets to his 3rd, 4th, 5th championship...he can start making some more outlandish claims about how many he'll win. People are imagining how a super team in LA could overthrow them this year or how a couple years down the line Wade will be too old or this or that scenario could stop them from winning....this is why 6 championships is amazing. People get old, get hurt, players rearrange, new talent arrives, all that and STILL you win? That's pretty f***in' cool. If the Heat can do all that, that will be pretty impressive. Until they've done something more than what a team like the 2011 Dallas Mavericks did, they should probably just focus on next season (a season in which they seem to be the favorite)

Obviously I don't know LeBron personally but he doesn't strike me as obscenely driven like MJ or Kobe. I could see James winning 2 or 3 titles and that is spectacular but he ain't sniffing not 6, not 7, not 8...

Too many factors like you said, LeBron would have to be driven like a madman to keep that edge you need to keep winning, you have to work on your game as you age and lose athleticism (why James doesn't have an insane post up game is beyond me). If he does have that killer mentality, he could very well go on a crazy championship run but even MJ took time off of the first threepeat because he felt drained.

Luckily for us, Rose will be hitting his prime as LBJ will be in his decline. :headbang

I think with what Lebron showed in the post this past year, we can put to rest the whole "Lebron has it all but isn't willing to do what it takes". He's the best player in the game bar none. Maybe he'll come back next year looking like Dirk, but I wouldn't bet money on it. Even as Wade declines, these next 3 years you'll need that lakers super team to stop Lebron.

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
oh how annoying this is becoming and not going to go away

If I was the teams, I'd be willing to take the risk of bynum without him pledging to renew. He's had injury issues and the home team being able to give an extra year at the max, I feel like that will be a big pull to keep him.

Bulls had more to offer. Ugh.

nah, we really didn't.

Celtics to acquire G Courtney Lee from Rockets in a sign and trade sending back F JaJuan Johnson, sources tell Y! Details being finalized.

Unless you want to send them Jimmy Butler?

He's better than Kirk Hinrich.

Two completely different types of players.

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
nah, we really didn't.

No, we had a $5 million TPE, more than what Boston gave Lee.

They are two different types of players, but are you telling me you'd rather have Hinrich than Lee?

Yeah, I'd rather have Hinrich than Lee. Lee is not that good. I wanted Mayo as a project player but Lee is no kind of answer for us, long term or short term. He's just gonna stand on the perimeter and wait for someone to toss him the ball just like a younger version of Bogans. Not a fan of his game.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 04:24 PM)
nah, we really didn't.

We really did have the $5 TPE.

If the offseason had been this:

Hinrich/Teague replaces Watson/JLIII. Upgrade.

Lee replaces Korver. Upgrade.

Butler replaces Brewer. Wash (Jimmy isn't worthless on O).

Taj remains Taj.

Darko replaces Asik. Downgrade.

I would have been happy.