2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
Oh come on, disgusting is a little far.

TMZ reported that Lil Wayne was dead. Journalists make s*** up every single day of the week, often for reputable publications.

This is a fan blog that had sent out a tweet to 300 people.

From that 25,000 people have read the article. If you are over the age of 10 and cant recognize that is not a legitimate source and that you should take it completely with a grain of salt, that is on you.

Not to mention, 2 days ago I posted:

I hate to say it, but Ill believe it when I see it. It can take up to 18 months after an ACL surgery for the knee to feel “normal” again. Thus, something could happen this weekend to further delay the return. Whenever Rose is ready to play, he will play, and Im quite fine with that.

A day ago Zoom posted "The thoughts expressed in the commentary on this site are soley the beliefs of the author and do not represent the views of any other individuals or Flapship as a whole." That was a day ago.

Its funny in a really terrible sad way.

Sure people have to use judgment, but that doesn't make it OK to do. He clearly claimed he had a source, which he didn't.

It hurts the credibility of the whole site, regardless of some tagline on the bottom of an article. It does indeed represent Flapship as a whole. If I'm following a blog/site and find out they are purposely posting bulls*** to try to stir the pot or get hits, I would stop following that blog.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krush,

I agree. If I was going to do something like that, I would have been way more evasive, so that it wasnt technically a lie, but it was merely using second hand information to make something appear to be more true than it is.

But what is the point of that?

That being said, might as well just watch the hilarity ensue, because even though every legitimate source is saying otherwise, people still want to believe.

Oh come on, disgusting is a little far.

TMZ reported that Lil Wayne was dead. Journalists make s*** up every single day of the week, often for reputable publications.

Wait, are we calling TMZ reputable now? When did that happen? Is the National Inquirer considered reputable now too?

EDIT: Real reputable outlets make mistakes all the time... just look at the Manti Teo garbage. However, those outlets weren't flat out lying. They were simply lazily reporting the news, which is a pretty big offense by itself, but on a completely different level than going all Stephen Glass on it.

This is a fan blog that had sent out a tweet to 300 people.

From that 25,000 people have read the article. If you are over the age of 10 and cant recognize that is not a legitimate source and that you should take it completely with a grain of salt, that is on you.

To an extent, yes, a percentage of the blame is on the idiots that read it and can't figure out that Steve is/was/will always be full of s***. However, it certainly doesn't excuse the behavior in posting it in the first place. It shows basic lack of integrity.

Not to mention, 2 days ago I posted:

I hate to say it, but Ill believe it when I see it. It can take up to 18 months after an ACL surgery for the knee to feel “normal” again. Thus, something could happen this weekend to further delay the return. Whenever Rose is ready to play, he will play, and Im quite fine with that.

A day ago Zoom posted "The thoughts expressed in the commentary on this site are soley the beliefs of the author and do not represent the views of any other individuals or Flapship as a whole." That was a day ago.

These were posted in comments. If you actually think everyone who reads the article would read all of the comments, then I'm sorry for your lack of understanding about how the internet works. Despite lacking any factual basis, the article remains posted to this day and even has an update, suggesting again that the author has a source close to Rose (bulls***) and that he feels great today and will be playing tonight. The fact that the website has multiple editors and no one took the post down, amended it or did ANYTHING meaningful to suggest that the author has no inside information whatsoever is indeed disgusting.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
Wait, are we calling TMZ reputable now? When did that happen? Is the National Inquirer considered reputable now too?

EDIT: Real reputable outlets make mistakes all the time... just look at the Manti Teo garbage. However, those outlets weren't flat out lying. They were simply lazily reporting the news, which is a pretty big offense by itself, but on a completely different level than going all Stephen Glass on it.

To an extent, yes, a percentage of the blame is on the idiots that read it and can't figure out that Steve is/was/will always be full of s***. However, it certainly doesn't excuse the behavior in posting it in the first place. It shows basic lack of integrity.

These were posted in comments. If you actually think everyone who reads the article would read all of the comments, then I'm sorry for your lack of understanding about how the internet works. Despite lacking any factual basis, the article remains posted to this day and even has an update, suggesting again that the author has a source close to Rose (bulls***) and that he feels great today and will be playing tonight. The fact that the website has multiple editors and no one took the post down, amended it or did ANYTHING meaningful to suggest that the author has no inside information whatsoever is indeed disgusting.

+1

So wait, are you holding us to national enquirer standards, fan blog standards or legitimate newspaper standards?

Im waiting for someone to explain why Flapship is at all reputable?

Does it have any history of inside information?

Has it ever posted any new information?

Are the majority of the articles opinion?

Are the majority of the articles supported by inside sources?

Before you should consider something "reputable" it should do something deserving. I dont trust Deadspin/ESPN etc, and they should be considered far more reputable.

But then again, its my belief reputable journalism is about reporting facts and Flapship is about opinion.

I apologize to anyone under the age of lets say 14 (thats being generous), they may fall for the smoke and mirrors of a well designed website. The rest I would hope would look at the author and ask "Does this guy seem like someone who would have inside Rose information."

Well I didnt lie, the post was made hours before I saw it. I didnt really realize that steve wasnt citing something real until it already had spread pretty far. At that point I posted and stated that I did not believe it.

That is not a lie, that is the truth.

If people want to take Steve's word over mine, feel free.

Each of you have the ability to determine who is more believable.

That being said, if you actually read the article after the updates, its really flimsy. People just still want to believe in it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
This isn't the first and it won't be the last time I make myself out to be an ass, but it is interesting that a tweet to 300 followers grew so exponentially.

I'm still not getting a good read from you here. Are you admitting to this being a total fabrication just to get hits? Or was this a "I have a guy that knows a guy and instead of actually knowing for sure I decided to post it and it was probably a mistake?"

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 12:35 PM)
So wait, are you holding us to national enquirer standards, fan blog standards or legitimate newspaper standards?

Im waiting for someone to explain why Flapship is at all reputable?

Does it have any history of inside information?

Has it ever posted any new information?

Are the majority of the articles opinion?

Are the majority of the articles supported by inside sources?

Before you should consider something "reputable" it should do something deserving. I dont trust Deadspin/ESPN etc, and they should be considered far more reputable.

But then again, its my belief reputable journalism is about reporting facts and Flapship is about opinion.

I apologize to anyone under the age of lets say 14 (thats being generous), they may fall for the smoke and mirrors of a well designed website. The rest I would hope would look at the author and ask "Does this guy seem like someone who would have inside Rose information."

How does any of this make it acceptable to post flat out lies? Yes, people SHOULD be smarter than they are. Yes, people SHOULD critically think about what they read before accepting it without second thought. But no, that doesn't mean it's ok to lie about having inside information and encouraging people to actually believe the s*** that's being spewed.

The people who read it and thought it was true without a doubt get some percentage of the blame in this ordeal, but the lion's share of the blame goes to the outlet (not just the specific author, although it's clear he's the original culprit) for not only posting it in the first place, but not amending it in any way after the fact. I'm sorry, but making a comment about how you'll believe it when you see it does not wash your hands from this mess.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
I'm still not getting a good read from you here. Are you admitting to this being a total fabrication just to get hits? Or was this a "I have a guy that knows a guy and instead of actually knowing for sure I decided to post it and it was probably a mistake?"

I'm not going to say the direct connection, but a friend of mine has an uncle who is a big deal and has his own box who was told to make sure he was there on Monday. I ran with it.

Still not proven wrong, btw.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)

He has no one with inside information and posted it just to get hits for his blog that no one reads.

Does that clear things up for you?

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
How does any of this make it acceptable to post flat out lies?

I don't believe anyone ever told you it was a flat out lie. There was a source involved, as detailed above, that's as far as I'm getting into it.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
He has no one with inside information and posted it just to get hits for his blog that no one reads.

Does that clear things up for you?

Your anger has honestly made this all worth it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
I don't believe anyone ever told you it was a flat out lie. There was a source involved, as detailed above, that's as far as I'm getting into it.

"A source close to the situation says @drose Derrick Rose will officially return Monday."

"Derrick Rose to Return Monday Against Nuggets: CONFIRMED"

Someone needs to teach you about journalism if you think that your "source" in your other post comes anywhere near to being a confirmed fact.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
"A source close to the situation says @drose Derrick Rose will officially return Monday."

Someone needs to teach you about journalism if you think that your "source" in your other post comes anywhere near to being a confirmed fact.

k

There's no difference between that and the headline for Joe Cowley's article.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
k

There's no difference between that and the headline for Joe Cowley's article.

I agree. It was a stupid headline (although the writers rarely/never write headlines for their articles, so I'm not sure the blame on that goes to Cowley). Unlike you, however, he actually has real sources that have inside knowledge on the situation.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)

lmao. Oh snap. I didn't even see the "confirmed" part. Damn.

Manti teo

soxobama

steve

May you all rest in peace.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
I agree. It was a stupid headline (although the writers rarely/never write headlines for their articles, so I'm not sure the blame on that goes to Cowley). Unlike you, however, he actually has real sources that have inside knowledge on the situation.

Joe Cowley? Inside sources? Hahahahaha.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:14 PM)
Joe Cowley? Inside sources? Hahahahaha.

The word "sources" probably gave off the wrong impression. What I meant was he actually talks to the Bulls PR staff regularly (presumably), which are far better sources for information that a friend's uncle who was told that he should go to the game (EVERYONE is ALWAYS told to go to the games... it's almost like they want people in their building).

Felix,

You are comparing a free web blog to a paid for newspaper. I would assume there is a higher level of ethical integrity when you are CHARGING someone for the information.

Had Steve charged people for a complete lie, Id agree that is pretty shameless and wrong.

But when you give something away, can you really complain about the quality?