FIRST PLACE WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

LittleHurt05

I guess you could say at this point that Rios has been our most consistent position player all year, which is a staggering thought. Lexi possibly warming up is at least a little encouraging. If he gets hot, put him in the two hole until he isn't - not really kidding.

We'll probably have all the sluggers get hot again at the same time, but who can say when this contagion of offensive suck will end?

That said, it's still more impt that good Gavin may be back. I currently have confidence in 4/5 of our rotation, going into their next start, and that ain't too shabby.

I'm starting to feel better but I can't help but wonder if Dunn would benefit from a day off. But maybe not, honestly I don't know him and how he works. Maybe he should try laying a bunt down again or something.

Right before he went into the slump he had racked up some hits the opposite way, that wouldn't be the worst approach to try to get everything going again

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
I honestly thought he was pretty mediocre tonight again. It's easy to cherry pick, but there was a lot of trouble in the first few innings, and even the outs were hit hard(Morneau flyout to the track, Span JUST missing a bomb down the line).

Solid W, just don't feel any better about Floyd right now.

I kinda felt the same way. Also, it seemed like a pretty generous strike zone for both sides tonight. That said, he did have his moments.

It's pretty hard to argue with 7 innings, 5 hits, no walks and 9 strikeouts.

I thought he looked good. I didn't see Span's double as I was in the car listening on the radio, but that and the Revere double were his biggest mistakes of the game, and he didn't just luck his way into pitching over those, he threw some great pitches to get out.

He has a good fastball/change combo that he can get by on but won't find a ton of success. When he has a breaking ball working, be it his curve or his "slider-cutter thing," as Flowers called it, he's always going to be tough to hit. I wish he could find those breaking balls more consistently, because when he's throwing them well, they're sharp and tight and have great backend snap which makes them virtually impossible to hit well. Too often it seems he slows down with them and they gain movement but they're easier to spot and all too often either fall harmlessly out of the strike zone or stay up and get hit hard.

More than any other Sox starting pitcher, you can pretty much tell how well Gavin is going to pitch based on how his breaking balls are working.

That was a good win. It did get a bit hairy at the end.

BTW, is it just me or does Addison Reed seem uncomfortable facing lefties? He didn't throw anything to Morneau and then after going up 0-2 on Parmelee, he either tried to blow one by him inside or held onto it too long (or both). Son, you throw hard enough, just climb the ladder. Parmelee was hopeless in that AB.

Nice to get a win with only 5 hits. Didn't see the game. Did Dunn look better tonight?

I'm going to say yes. He actually made contact today a couple of times. Line outs, but those are still slightly better than strikeouts.

He's still being a useless sack of s*** though, he's not even taking walks any more.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:46 PM)
I honestly thought he was pretty mediocre tonight again. It's easy to cherry pick, but there was a lot of trouble in the first few innings, and even the outs were hit hard(Morneau flyout to the track, Span JUST missing a bomb down the line).

Solid W, just don't feel any better about Floyd right now.

The strike zone was the size of a Buick, if he gets breaking balls that go around the plate on lefties he's going to be tough. Also thats the first time he's stuck out Mauer in like 3 years.

Although Gavin got into trouble a few times, it's important to note that he did not walk anyone. Also, he seemed a lot more confident, even when he was in a jam. Bad Gavin would have melted down in those situations.

Ah yes, my number one rule of pitching: DONT' f***ING WALK PEOPLE!

The strike zone was the size of a Buick

I always think that helps the Sox, since most of their hitters swing at everything anyway. Especially love to see a huge strike zone against the Red Sox and Yankees, since their hitters all seem to want to see 6+ pitches every time up to the plate.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 10:53 PM)
Hawk needs to explain to me why he just said this was a "big game"

How more so than tomorrow?

Having a chance to go into tomorrow's game looking at another Target field Sweep would ahve been rough.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 06:59 AM)
The strike zone was the size of a Buick, if he gets breaking balls that go around the plate on lefties he's going to be tough. Also thats the first time he's stuck out Mauer in like 3 years.

Yeah, I think if he gets that kind of zone on a consistent basis his numbers are completely different than they currently are.

He clearly benefited from the huge zone, more so than most pitchers would, IMO.