I f*cking love Kevin Youkilis

Steve9347

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Put that man up on the BANNER ..........................

Hell no. Before we put up Black-Eye PK, he was near .400

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
Like the Bartolo Colon trade?

And the Javy trade, and the Contreras trade, and the Freddy trade, and the Danks trade, and the Quentin trade...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
He got it right this time.This trade is like trades other teams make and I applaud Kenny for finally making a trade where he doesn't overpay with our good prospects.

If Kenny keeps this up, his approval rating will go up and up.

What trade did he overpay with his good prospects?

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:28 PM)
Put that man up on the BANNER ..........................

Against the background of a feces covered dugout with teammates running for cover. Put it together Steve! :headbang

I don't think we exactly "won" the Javy trade.

Javy for 3 years (inconsistent at best)

It will look a BIT better if Flowers does something, and Lillibridge was part of the Youk trade, but it certainly wasn't a steal by any means.

And it led directly to the BA in CF disaster in 2006.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
He got it right this time.

A lot of us KW haters have been dying for a trade like this where the Sox DO NOT GIVE UP our good prospects for a player like Youk and merely ship two stiffs like Lilly and Stewart off the current roster for said player.

Is it that difficult? This trade is like trades other teams make and I applaud Kenny for finally making a trade where he doesn't overpay with our good prospects.

If Kenny keeps this up, his approval rating will go up and up.

did you just ask "is it that difficult" to trade nobodies for a 3-time all-star and completely fleece other GMs who are paid an awful lot of money to know a lot more about baseball than you?

you're ridiculous.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
Actual good prospects were given up in those trades though.

1) And none of them became anything, aside from Olivo, Young, and B-Mac. And none of them were great.

2) We ran away with both Freddy trades.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
I don't think we exactly "won" the Javy trade.

Javy for 3 years (inconsistent at best)

It will look a BIT better if Flowers does something, and Lillibridge was part of the Youk trade, but it certainly wasn't a steal by any means.

And it led directly to the BA in CF disaster in 2006.

Chris Young = terrible. He was an all-star because the D-Backs needed one.

And Javy was good for us for a year, then turned into Lilli-Flower, which became Youk and our current backup.

I don't get how a player like Youkilis could be hated by some baseball fans, I liked him even when he was a Red Sox...you can tell he cares about winning. It's easy to like players like that.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

So let me get this straight, the two trades that KW overpaid are:

Swisher, where he traded for an All star player that didn't mesh with Gregs favorite manager.

And Edwin, where by many accounts KW got f***ed over by Rizzo trying to acquire Dunn.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
I don't get how a player like Youkilis could be hated by some baseball fans, I liked him even when he was a Red Sox...you can tell he cares about winning. It's easy to like players like that.

The same reason so many fans hate AJP

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
honestly, for all you KW haters out there, you've been served.

remind me all the talent we had to give up to bring in a difference-maker like Youkilis?

It's a case of a naive GM finding another one. Any player leaving Boston as of now to come to Chicago should be a shot in the arm.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)

Swisher, where he traded for an All star player that didn't mesh with Gregs favorite manager.

And Edwin, where by many accounts KW got f***ed over by Rizzo trying to acquire Dunn.

Don't forget what Daniel Hudson's up to right about now

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 11:31 PM)
Don't forget what Daniel Hudson's up to right about now

To be fair, Holmberg has been quite good overall this year. He's hit a rough patch at AA but he's 20 years old. I think he's forgiven.

It's very apparent Ozzie can't deal as well with 1) players who are exactly like him, publicity hounds or perceived as selfish or 2) players who are the exact opposite.

In the first group, you have the likes of Swisher, C-Lee, Maggs, O-Cab, Beckham, Brian Anderson...but he mostly hates or hated players who sulked or got down on themselves too much and pouted.

I think that's why he and Beckham always had a difficult relationship. He finally came to an understanding with Konerko because Paulie's basic argument is that he was "just" a two-tool player, hitting and hitting for power...and that the reason he took his offensive struggles so hard was because that was his livelihood, nobody was paying him to play defense or run. Ozzie never cared as much about his offensive game because he was paid more for his fielding and complementary skills, like bunting and base running.

Then you have the second group, the Quentins, Pierres, Dyes, Alexei Ramirezes and Brent Morels. Sometimes, he worked well with this group, Jon Garland being a prime example.

In some ways, Morel is so quiet and unassuming....he drove Ozzie crazy because he seemed to play with little feeling or emotion. It seems they wanted him to come more out of his shell and it was a constant task to get him not to be what he perceived the Sox wanted him to be but to come into his own and develop an identity he was comfortable with on and off the field.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 12:05 AM)
did you just ask "is it that difficult" to trade nobodies for a 3-time all-star and completely fleece other GMs who are paid an awful lot of money to know a lot more about baseball than you?

you're ridiculous.

I accept the fact some of you love Kenny unconditionally as I do Ozzie.

That's fine. I can deal with that. I just have a different view of KW than most of you. I give him great credit for us winning it in 05 though. He helped me to experience my best moments as a Sox fan.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 5, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)

This isn't a valid excuse. If KW didn't really want to risk being stuck with Jackson, he should have made it a three way deal.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 02:41 AM)

That's fine. I can deal with that. I just have a different view of KW than most of you. I give him great credit for us winning it in 05 though. He helped me to experience my best moments as a Sox fan.

The difference is nobody on this board loves Kenny unconditionally, even his biggest supports have criticized him. The problem with you is your love for Ozzie is unconditional.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2012 -> 01:41 AM)

hahaha love Kenny unconditionally? go back and read my posts about him when he wanted Sale in the bullpen. I wanted Kenny fired for that.

but just to be clear, you want Kenny to fleece the other GM in every single trade, or else he's a bad GM. is that your stance on this issue?