Post All-Star Break Rotation

Butter Parque

QUOTE (Butter Parque @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
How would you set it up? I'd go...

Peavy

Quintana

Floyd

Sale

Humber

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Floyd

Humber/Axelrod/Danks

Keep in mind that Sale won't be pitching tmr, so that would give him a ton of days off if he was 4th. Considering we are facing Cleveland first, better that we have 2 good lefties take the mound in that series.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 11:11 PM)
We are facing @ KC (3), @ Boston (4), @ Det (3), after the All Star game.

Floyd.

Quintana.

Peavy.

Sale.

Axelrod.

This way Peavy and Sale start the Detroit series.

I think they are likely to set it up like this so they can have their best for Detroit. I think Humber has a chance to be back in the rotation for Axelrod - tomorrow's game may help decide that, but that will be the 5th starter out of the break.

Until Humber proves otherwise, or Axelrod REALLY gets rocked in his next two starts (it's not really fair to judge him tmrw on 3 days' rest against a TOR team that's ultra-dangerous, trying to fend off a sweep and playing in a day game when the ball should be jumping out of USCF)...it will be Dylan's spot for now.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2012 -> 10:04 PM)
The main thing with that Tigers series out of the ASB is not getting swept.

1/3 is fine...a sweep puts the White Sox on their heels a bit and brings all those 2nd half slide questions back into everyone's minds.

The Tiger's need to worry about being swept not the Sox.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
Does anyone have a realistic expectation of when Danks will be back in the rotation?

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Danks

Floyd

That looks like a nice rotation to me.

I'd flip Danks and Floyd. I feel like of all the pitchers, Quintana and Danks would be most similar for teams to adapt to.

Also, I see Humber getting spot starts every once in a while to rest Sale, Peavy, and Quintana's arms.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
Does anyone have a realistic expectation of when Danks will be back in the rotation?

Sale

Peavy

Quintana

Danks

Floyd

That looks like a nice rotation to me.

It does, but I wonder if they would break up L-R-L-R-L

Sale-Peavy-Danks-Floyd-Quintana

Of course, when it rolls back over to Sale it would got L-L, but right now Quintana is on pace to go way past his previous innings mark. Maybe putting him as the 5th pitcher will give him a little rest and keep him fresher going to the end of the season.

Just a thought, I certainly dont see anything wrong with your rotation order

It really doesn't matter to me what order they go in, but I hope they have the second half mapped out the way they want for Peavy and Sale.

All I know is I want Sale, Peavy, and Quintana to get at least 14 starts in the second half before having to pitch 3-5 more starts in October.

We do know the #3 will be matched up with Verlander on Friday, July 20. So the 3-4-5 will be going in the Detroit series.

High risk/high reward rotation coming out of the break. Sale gets 3 weeks between appearances. TBD could be trade?

Axelrod v. KC

Floyd v. KC

Quintana v. KC

Peavy V. Bos

TBD V. Bos

Axelrod v. Bos

Floyd v. Bos

Quintana v. Det

Peavy v. Det

Sale v. Det

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
High risk/high reward rotation coming out of the break. Sale gets 3 weeks between appearances. TBD could be trade?

Axelrod v. KC

Floyd v. KC

Quintana v. KC

Peavy V. Bos

TBD V. Bos

Axelrod v. Bos

Floyd v. Bos

Quintana v. Det

Peavy v. Det

Sale v. Det

Is this ur plan or what you actually heard?

I thought it was two weeks, including the All-Star break, for Sale.

There's going to be a big argument between holding the lead during this 16/19 stretch on the road (yes, we are a better road team...or historically were until the past 10 games or so at home)...and the intelligence of perhaps giving up 1st place with the idea that Sale can ride in like Shane (movie reference) or Gary Cooper in High Noon and save the day. That's going to be a lot of pressure on Chris to win each of his starts.

Then you have the issue with how many innings you're going to be able to get out of Quintana based on his workload the last 2-3 seasons in the minors. They'll push him harder, of course, but how far can you realistically push him without hurting him? Has there ever been a similar situation where a pitcher came out of A ball with his IP totals and then threw 150-175-200 combined innings (mostly MLB) the next year?

And what happened to that pitcher the following season, or his overall career, after such a massive jump?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
It would shock me if they don't give Humber a chance to start for Axelrod right away.

The guy can't even give our AAA team a quality start at this point, I don't think Axelrod is a long term solution but anyone with half a brain knows Humber doesn't belong starting games unless he fixes whatever is hampering him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
Is this ur plan or what you actually heard?

I thought it was two weeks, including the All-Star break, for Sale.

There's going to be a big argument between holding the lead during this 16/19 stretch on the road (yes, we are a better road team...or historically were until the past 10 games or so at home)...and the intelligence of perhaps giving up 1st place with the idea that Sale can ride in like Shane (movie reference) or Gary Cooper in High Noon and save the day. That's going to be a lot of pressure on Chris to win each of his starts.

Then you have the issue with how many innings you're going to be able to get out of Quintana based on his workload the last 2-3 seasons in the minors. They'll push him harder, of course, but how far can you realistically push him without hurting him? Has there ever been a similar situation where a pitcher came out of A ball with his IP totals and then threw 150-175-200 combined innings (mostly MLB) the next year?

And what happened to that pitcher the following season, or his overall career, after such a massive jump?

If Sale and Quintana get hurt that would suck, but that's baseball. To me, it's disrespectful to every aspect of the game to shut-down pitchers who are otherwise healthy when you have a chance to make the post-season because you're trying to prevent injuries. I'm all for being careful and giving them rest when you can, but getting to the post-season trumps worrying about their health for 2013 and beyond.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 8, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
Not sure anyone knows and that includes the White Sox staff.

It's at the point where you have to assume he's done for the year, whether he is or not.

That means make moves with the idea you won't get him back.