Danks will have exploratory surgery

southsider2k5

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
I would add a few months for a pitcher after surgery. I think he's having surgery. The guy has no desire to throw right now. They need to find out what is really going on.
I believe the same thing. It seems apparent to me that he is hurting and afraid of making it worse. He is also, regardless of the market a guy who peaked in 08 and has gone downhill since then. Teams are between a rock and hard place in today's market. On another note, why or why are MLB pitchers so fragile these days?

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 07:53 PM)
It surprises me that with MRI, CT, etc. doctors still have to do "exploratory surgery" to figure out what is wrong with someone's shoulder.

What I worry about is that Danks' problems are shoulder problems. The list of pitchers who have come back from shoulder surgeries successfully is a LOT shorter than those who have come back from elbow surgeries.

This is because of the problem I stated earlier. The imaging doesn't always show the exact problem, it shows signs of the problem ie. fluid where it shouldn't be. There are so many structures involved in making the shoulder work that it is very difficult to tell what is going on.

The bright side of this is that usually something major such as a rotator cuff tear is visible during these common imaging techniques. The fact that they can't find it could be a good sign. It means there is no major structural damage. Unless they aren't telling us something.

I think he will be ready to throw by Spring training. These exploratories usually wind up a the general "looseness" as I stated earlier. If they find major structural damage it could be different. If it's not structural, the 7 months until Spring training should be sufficient.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
This is because of the problem I stated earlier. The imaging doesn't always show the exact problem, it shows signs of the problem ie. fluid where it shouldn't be. There are so many structures involved in making the shoulder work that it is very difficult to tell what is going on.

The bright side of this is that usually something major such as a rotator cuff tear is visible during these common imaging techniques. The fact that they can't find it could be a good sign. It means there is no major structural damage. Unless they aren't telling us something.

I think he will be ready to throw by Spring training. These exploratories usually wind up a the general "looseness" as I stated earlier. If they find major structural damage it could be different. If it's not structural, the 7 months until Spring training should be sufficient.

So what will they do if they open him up and find absolutely nothing wrong?

Will they fix something anyway just to make everyone feel better? ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 10:17 PM)
So what will they do if they open him up and find absolutely nothing wrong?

Will they fix something anyway just to make everyone feel better? ;)

They will always find something in a pitcher's shoulder. If they find nothing major the question will be if they find the correct minor thing. Look for the stand by "clean up" phrase. If they say that it will mean they didn't find much and just tightened it up as I stated earlier. This could either be really good or bad depending on how accurately the physician tightens it. Either way he will be throwing by spring training if it is a "clean up."

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 12:54 AM)
Wow. Another pitcher bites the dust. Thanks for some good memories in a Sox uniform, John Danks. I don't expect we'll be seeing him excel on the mound again. But he had some good moments while it all lasted.

That is far too pessimistic. It's a possibility but a remote one. Odds are he will be throwing again within 6 months.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 31, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)
Wow. Another pitcher bites the dust. Thanks for some good memories in a Sox uniform, John Danks. I don't expect we'll be seeing him excel on the mound again. But he had some good moments while it all lasted.

You are so overdramatic.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
That is far too pessimistic. It's a possibility but a remote one. Odds are he will be throwing again within 6 months.

Any chance he has some labrum scarring or something like that? I had a doctor that wanted to go in and remove scar tissue and fraying as opposed to actually repairing the labrum. They estimated around a 3 month recovery vs 12+.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 1, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Any chance he has some labrum scarring or something like that? I had a doctor that wanted to go in and remove scar tissue and fraying as opposed to actually repairing the labrum. They estimated around a 3 month recovery vs 12+.

It's possible it could be related to the labrum. If there was a significant tear, it should have shown on the imaging. Since nothing showed on the imaging, it could be that that labrum comes loose from the bone and contributes to the looseness of the joint. This is common in pitchers because the biceps tendon connects to the labrum. The bicep tendon can even come loose. However, all of these are fixed by tacking them back down to the bone. This is a simple procedure and rehab is around 6 months.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago...tm_medium=email

Danks, White Sox ready to find out what's wrong

August 5, 2012, 11:25 am

Danks talks about season-ending injury

John Danks talks about his shoulder injury that will require surgery and put an end to his season - 7/31

JJ STANKEVITZ

John Danks is anxious to go under the knife on Monday, when a team of White Sox surgeons will discover and repair whatever is wrong with his troublesome left shoulder. But that doesn't mean he's looking forward to it.

"I'm not exactly excited about going in, but I'm ready for it to be fixed and healed and get moving on with just getting back to being healthy," Danks said Sunday. "That's kind of the key. It's been so long since I've been truly healthy, I'm excited about getting everything fixed and kind of starting clean next year."

Danks has been on the disabled list since May 25 and hasn't started a game in the majors since May 19. His season is done, with nine starts and a 5.70 ERA standing as his final line in the first year of a five-year, $65 million contract extension signed in December.

"It definitely didn't go as planned," Danks said. "We'll get it fixed and get back. It's something I have to deal with. It's not easy, I know that. But I'm willing to do what I have to do to try to get ready. It's been a frustrating last couple years. I'm looking forward to just being healthy again. This is what we have to do."

After posting an ERA below 3.80 every year from 2008-2010, Danks ran into an oblique issue in 2011 and has a 4.66 ERA 36 starts since the beginning of last season. He's confident that he'll return healthy for 2013, and doesn't foresee something more problematic being discovered in his shoulder, such as a more serious labrum issue.

Danks was diagnosed with a mild Grade 1 strain of the subscapularis muscle in his left shoulder June 19, and that test also showed that his labrum was intact.

"I don't anticipate there being anything other than what they think there is," Danks said. "I don't have any other reason to believe otherwise. We won't really know until we get in there tomorrow."

However, a more serious problem with Danks' labrum could very well cost him the 2013 season. But the more positive side of things is that former White Sox pitcher Clayton Richard underwent a similar operation in June of 2011, and he returned to full strength in 2012.

But nobody really knows what Danks' timetable will be until the surgery is performed.

“I think the best part of this is really to get down to the bottom of it and hopefully see something they can take care of and get him healthy," manager Robin Ventura said. "It’s disappointing for him, first, and us that he’s not able to pitch because it would be nice to have John Danks in the rotation. The first thing is to get him healthy and find out what it is."

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Danks surgery...no big damage.

See you in February.

Danks had repair of capsular tear and minor debridements of the rotator cuff and biceps in his left shoulder. Will be in sling for 4 weeks. Per Mark Gonzales on Twitter

Edited by joeynach

UPDATE: Chicago White Sox pitcher John Danks underwent successful surgery this morning at RUSH University Medical Center to arthroscopically repair a capsular tear and minor debridements of the rotator cuff and biceps in his left shoulder. Danks will be immobilized in a sling for four weeks. He is expected to be fully able by the start of 2013 spring training, where he will be on a regular schedule.

Yup. Sounds like a plan to me!