• Jake Peavy
    • Jose Quintana
    • Gavin Floyd
    • Francisco Liriano
    • Philip Humber
    • John Danks
    • Mark Buehrle
    • Simon Castro/Hector Santiago
    • RH #1-#3 Starter via Trade/FA (Hernandez, Jackson, McCarthy, Haren, etc.)

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
Ridiculous. I get that Gavin is frustrating but he's become so freakin underrated on this site.

Mr under .500 career pitcher is so underrated. Floyd will not win any games come playoff time. Just because he is a Sox pitcher doesn't mean people have to have blind loyalty!

Edited by Soxfest

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 04:48 AM)
It's very hard not to like Francisco Liriano, especially at the price at which it's possible he could be resigned. However, with the somewhat girth of (relatively mediocre) starting pitching that the White Sox have accumulated in the last few years, it's hard to assume or have any idea as to what the rotation is going to look like going into next season. And, even though the Royals did it with 4 terrible left handed starting pitchers in 2004 (Darrell May, Brian Anderson, Jimmy Gobble, and Jeremy Affeldt), it's generally not a good idea to have 4 left handed starting ptichers. So, if you have Sale, Quintana, and Liriano in the rotation, you are assuming either that you are going to go with a 6 man rotation or that you assume Danks simply won't be back next year.

Now, considering Danks underwent this shoulder surgery in August, it doesn't rule out the possibility of him coming back mid-year. If that's the case, I actually want him as a bullpen arm down the stretch. It's not something he's ever done before, but that will build up the strength in his shoulder relatively quickly and will put him at a spot come the offseason of 13-14 where he can move back into the rotation, and the Sox can then make a decision on Sale/Quintana/Liriano, if one of them doesn't crap the bed before that (which, knowing the inexperience of the middle and the inconsistency of the latter, is likely to happen anyways).

All we can do is hope that it all comes after the Sox win a World Series. They're hanging blow-for-blow with what I believe to be the best team in the league right now.

Is this really the prognosis for him? He's going to be out until midyear?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
Mr under .500 career pitcher is so underrated. Floyd will not win any games come playoff time. Just because he is a Sox pitcher doesn't mean people have to have blind loyalty!

Not all of the pitchers in the staff need to win playoff games. Floyd is valuable as a fifth starter. Granted, his option may be expensive as a fifth starter for next year, but if Kenny cannot find any other reasonably priced pitchers, it is worth it to overpay (if it is even an overpay, apparently some advanced stats say he is worth more than that) for just one year to solidify the rotation.

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
I'm 95% sure Kenny will sell high on Q this off-season (Assuming he doesn't completely implode here down the stretch...which is looking likely after his last few starts)

I also think Liriano is back.

I also think Kenny trades Quintana in the offseason. Ideally, they act like the big market team that they are and bring back Liriano and Peavy.

Sale, Peavy, Liriano, Danks, RH FA/Trade. I think Floyd gets traded as well.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 12:27 AM)
Choose five.

I'm going Sale, Quintana, Peavy, Liriano and an new RH (I'll take a shot in the dark and say E-Jax).

I feel Sale and Quintana are the two locks.

I think Peavy and the Sox come together on a deal in the $13M-$15M range for three years, plus his buy out.

I think Liriano pitches fantastically down the stretch and Coop wants him to stick around.

Then, I think Humber/Floyd/Danks are all gone via trade. Floyd in a Quentinesque dump. For some reason, I also feel some team would just take Danks + Humber for another Quentin type deal.

Then I feel Coop would try to get E-Jax back as the right hander...him or McCarthy.

I'd like a five of Sale-Peavy-Liriano-Jackson-Quintana. Four pitchers with nasty stuff and Buehrle Jr.

It's going to be extremely interesting to see what Kenny Williams does this off-season.

Youk (club option), AJ, Peavy (club option), Liriano, are all free agents (or likely to be). I don't see how the White Sox can compete without keeping (or replacing Peavy with a similar talent) Peavy, and I'm not necessarily against picking up the option to ensure he's back and keeping him motivated to pitch for a new deal. Saying that, that's a ton of money to invest in 1 player so I don't expect them do vest the option.

I think AJ has to be brought back, and it's probably another 2 year deal, but for more money. Youk needs to come back as well because they don't have anything that can play 3B (Sorry Morel, you suck).

So, they will probably need to move Floyd's contract for a prospect - that will probably allow them to bring back Youk or AJ. How they have enough money for the other 3 though is going to be tough.

My guess for the rotation right now will be 1) Sale 2) Danks 3)Quintana 4)???? 5) Santiago (or some low cost option to round out the rotation) The ???? is some veteran whether it's Peavy or some other move that Williams makes.

Edited by spiderman

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
I'm 95% sure Kenny will sell high on Q this off-season (Assuming he doesn't completely implode here down the stretch...which is looking likely after his last few starts)

I also think Liriano is back.

I think selling Quintano on a high (assuming he finishes the season pitching well) does make sense, but so does keeping him for the cost certainty. I think the White Sox need, along with Sale, to have 1-2 other starters making low money. I think it's reasonable to assume that the 5th starter will be someone making a low MLB salary (Santiago? Axelrod? etc). I think it's pretty certain that Sale/Danks (assuming health for both) are guaranteed to be in the rotation as well so that leaves 2 open spots - Peavy/Liriano/Floyd are all in the mix, but they probably will need to move Floyd to clear some salary, and if Liriano does pitch well down the stretch, he may be the Peavy replacement (at much less money).

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 10:26 AM)
I think selling Quintano on a high (assuming he finishes the season pitching well) does make sense, but so does keeping him for the cost certainty. I think the White Sox need, along with Sale, to have 1-2 other starters making low money. I think it's reasonable to assume that the 5th starter will be someone making a low MLB salary (Santiago? Axelrod? etc). I think it's pretty certain that Sale/Danks (assuming health for both) are guaranteed to be in the rotation as well so that leaves 2 open spots - Peavy/Liriano/Floyd are all in the mix, but they probably will need to move Floyd to clear some salary, and if Liriano does pitch well down the stretch, he may be the Peavy replacement (at much less money).

These 2 things really shouldn't be debated. If you're selling high, it means that you really don't have faith that he can keep it up. If you don't think that he can keep it up, why would you want to keep a bad pitcher around just because of cost certainty.

K.W. and his "team" have to decide who the true Quintana is and act accordingly.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
It made me sad typing it. The good news is that I'm an idiot, so there is no way my prediction comes true.

You cant call posters and idiot :lolhitting but I sadly think Sale could have a tough year next year with a possible injury but it all depends on how he works in the offseason.

Sale/Danks/Peav/Q/New guy most likly a RH pitcher. We trade Gavin and Humber goes to long guy or Santiago in that Long guy position, but nevertheless I think we have lots of options for 2013 and am excited to see what KW does. In the meantime I am going to keep watching the sox in 2012. Its all good :gosox1:

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 01:47 PM)
The Danks news makes this prognostication less gloomy.

It also makes it seem more likely that KW will sell high on Quitana, maybe to get a bat.

It would be great to use any excessive pitching (is there such a thing as excessive pitching ?) that we may have to acquire a good bat. I think that the one thing that the Sox offense is missing is a true #3 hitter. I know that #3 hitters don't grow on trees, but I'm just sayin.

Why sell Q high when he could be a cheap quality 4-5 starter. I would think you have to sell Floyd for a bat. Redsox have wanted him for a while. I wonder who they got in the Minors as a 3B or middle infielder. Wouldnt mind seeing us ship him there for some prospects. Then again Ive never been high on Gavin or Morel so I am pretty bias in this situation.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
P sure most teams aren't that high on Gavin, which is why he didn't get moved this deadline. Q, even as a 4/5, has more value and can get a bigger bat. Unless they trade Gavin for pieces of a larger package, which is a possibility.

I think he has value, and he'd have value as a #3 starter in the NL. In the AL, the last few season's, he's been slightly above 4.00, pretty respectable. This year, it's not gone nearly as well, but he still is durable (outside of the issue that he had this season) and good for 200 IP. I do think he'll likely be moved, I doubt they get a can't miss prospect in return, but I think they can something of value to help their minor league system.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2012 -> 11:30 AM)
Just to point out...yesterday's a great example of why Liriano is such an iffy pitcher, especially if you're thinking about signing him long term.

It's the devil you know versus the devil you don't in Floyd vs. Liriano.

Personally, I'm just as worried if we keep using Matt Thornton in key situations that Brett Myers will be locked in for $10 million on our roster next year.

Unless it's as a starter, that would be a disaster for our payroll and make the bullpen prohibitively expensive...even as they've said it's not a factor, it has to be a prime KW consideration in determining whether we can retain AJ and/or Youk.

And dumping that salary next year would be next to impossible as well.

Edited by caulfield12