Sox vs. Tigers in Zanzibar

Quin

Sox don't win this one, I'm not making another Game Thread in September.

Paulie hits and the audience applauds

Though he's got a new 'stache he hasn't lost his style

Paulie don't you slowdown now

Don't give a game away for free, woah

AJ is a force at Comiskey Park

But he always annoys teams with style

So he's waiting out behind the plate

He's going to put frustration on Scherzer's face for free, for free

This team's got heart

Floyd's got to do his part

I've got a tab at Comiskey Park

Tonight that's where I'll be, I'll be

Sale, he knows he's such a credit to the game

But Verlander grabs the headlines every time

Pennant chases are so much fun

In black and white sox for everyone to see, woah

Wise trying just to get to second base

And he'll steal it when Robin gives the sign, woah

He'll spark a rally and show the team ain't dead

The inning isn't over yet you see, you see

De Aza is the spark

Rios has got to hit the ball far

Tell the Robin it needs to end in Comiskey Park

While the fans fill the stands and cheer

The team's still got first place

And they control their own fate you see, you see

A win tonight would be a start

They've got to hit Scherzer hard

-------------------------------------------

Reed'll have to learn to pace himself

Pressure

He can dominate like everybody else

Pressure

The Sox have only had to run so far, so good

But they will come to a place

Where the only thing they feel

Are wins and losses in their face

And they'll have to deal with pressure

We wanted to see Kenny unemployed

Pressure

But that notion he destroyed

Pressure

Peavy turned the race into a crusade

Now here he is, angry faced

And Coop with the advice

There are stars left to face

And he'll be able to handle pressure

Dunn is a true outcome machine

Strike one, strike two, how far will the ball go?

All their life is CSN

35th Street

What does it mean?

I'll tell you what it means

Pressure

Pressure

Alexei you're at the plate alone

Pressure

But we know he'll bring men home

Pressure

I'm sure you have some cosmic rationale

But here you are, in the ninth

Two men out and three men on

Nowhere to look but inside

Where we all respond to pressure

Pressure

All your life is Chicago Sun-Times

Cowley wrote s***, what does it mean?

Pressure!

I'm sure you have some cosmic rationale

But here you are, in the race

And your veteran advice

You have no in front, leading the chase

And the Tigers cannot handle pressure

The pressure!

Pressure!

1, 2, 3, 4, pressure!

-------------------------------------------

Now, after the opening act.

IN THIS CORNER

9-9 with the 4.55 ERA

THE TIGER TAMER FROM THE SOUTHSIDE

GAAAVIIIIIN FLOOOOOOYD

deepthoughtshead.png

AND IN THIS CORNER

15-6 and the 3.85 ERA

THE MAN WITH f***ED UP EYES

Max Scherzer

max-scherzer.jpg

SOX LOST ON HOMERS TO THE TIGERS LAST GAME. IT SUCKED.

BUT WHO GIVES A DAMN? THAT'S THE PAST.

AND THEY'RE STILL UP TWO GAMES.

SO, WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN? ARE THEY GONNA LET THE TIGERS ROLL INTO TOWN AND LEAVE UNSCATHED?

HELL f***ING NO.

ARE THEY ABOUT TO BURY THE TIGERS?

YES.

BECAUSE f*** ALL THE HATERS.

THIS.

IS.

WHITE SOX.

BASEBALL.

AND NOW, FOR YOUR CHICAGO WHITE SOX.

Edited by Quinarvy

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

YTD splits against Scherzer:

RH: .197/.242/.339

LH: .300/.374/.487

Youkilis, Konerko and Viciedo shouldn't be in the lineup tonight. I'd leave both Beckham (hot streak) and Alexei (defense) in.

You have to remember that those splits are AVERAGES. That does not mean that a terrible LH/SW hitter like Johnson, Hudson or Olmedo is going to fare better than a good RH hitter like Youk or Konerko. You might be able to sell me on starting Danks over Viciedo, but no way do I want to see Johnson, Hudson, or Olmedo starting against any pitcher no matter what his splits are.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
I have a very strong feeling that this series will not end up 2-2. The team that wins tonight will also win tomorrow.

I hope you're wrong, because tonight's matchup looks real bad for us. Plus Robin will probably do some dumb s*** again.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 07:30 AM)
YTD splits against Scherzer:

RH: .197/.242/.339

LH: .300/.374/.487

Youkilis, Konerko and Viciedo shouldn't be in the lineup tonight. I'd leave both Beckham (hot streak) and Alexei (defense) in.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 07:36 AM)
You have to remember that those splits are AVERAGES. That does not mean that a terrible LH/SW hitter like Johnson, Hudson or Olmedo is going to fare better than a good RH hitter like Youk or Konerko. You might be able to sell me on starting Danks over Viciedo, but no way do I want to see Johnson, Hudson, or Olmedo starting against any pitcher no matter what his splits are.

If Dunn is back, I'd go with...

De Aza 8

Youkilis 5 (I don't care how left-handed Hudson or Olmedo are, they are awful in any case)

Wise 7

Dunn 0

Rios 9

AJP 2

Johnson 3

Ramirez 6

Beckham 5

If Dunn is still out...

De Aza 8

Youkilis 5 (I don't care how left-handed Hudson or Olmedo are, they are awful in any case)

Wise 7

Konerko 3

Rios 9

AJP 2

Johnson 0

Ramirez 6

Beckham 5

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
I think the brain trust believes that Dan Johnson f***ing sucks and doesn't deserve starts, regardless of matchup. I think I agree.

If Johnson isn't going to play when Dunn is out, the splits scream lefty and PK14 is in obvious need of a rest... then why is he even on the roster?

The only argument for not putting him in, really, is that this is sort of like a playoff series because it is against Detroit, and you want your key guys in there all the time. And that is a valid point, I'm just not sure it outweighs the other ones in this case.

I've been saying forever the Sox need at least a 3 game lead when the Tigers series is over. Since 3 isn't possible, it's going to have to be 4.

These next two games, in my opinion, are must-win games. And if you don't think both are must-win, but also don't think the Sox can beat Verlander, then this game tonight is definitely a must-win game.

Edited by flavum

I think the brain trust believes that Dan Johnson f***ing sucks and doesn't deserve starts, regardless of matchup. I think I agree.

Dan Johnson's last 476 AB in AAA (2012): .879 OPS

Jordan Danks' last 218 AB in AAA (2012): .945 OPS

Dan Johnson's last 91 AB in MLB (2011-12): .443 OPS

Jordan Danks' last 57 AB in MLB (2012): .556 OPS

If you aren't willing to start Danks over Youkilis or Konerko, then you sure as hell shouldn't be willing to start Johnson over Youkilis or Konerko.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:50 AM)
If Johnson isn't going to play when Dunn is out, the splits scream lefty and PK14 is in obvious need of a rest... then why is he even on the roster?

The only argument for not putting him in, really, is that this is sort of like a playoff series because it is against Detroit, and you want your key guys in there all the time. And that is a valid point, I'm just not sure it outweighs the other ones in this case.

PK14 had a what, 6-7 game hit streak broken last night?

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
I've been saying forever the Sox need at least a 3 game lead when the Tigers series is over. Since 3 isn't possible, it's going to have to be 4.

These next two games, in my opinion, are must-win games. And if you don't think both are must-win, but also don't think the Sox can beat Verlander, then this game tonight is definitely a must-win game.

I think the Sox have a way better chance of winning Thursday than on Wednesday.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 07:36 AM)

The splits are cumulative and they say that a LH batter has a significantly better chance of reaching base than a RH. We don't weight splits by if a player is "bad" or not because that's subjective and hence dumb. You're also ignorant to the fact that Youkilis is sporting a hot .208 BA against RHP. What a good hitter!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)

If you aren't willing to start Danks over Youkilis or Konerko, then you sure as hell shouldn't be willing to start Johnson over Youkilis or Konerko.

Spot the sample size bias, everyone!

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)

Again the Johnson obsession is just back up quarterback syndrome. The guy is 32 years old, and every shot he has gotten at the major league level has been awful for 5 or 6 years now. I know the AAA numbers are impressive, but so what. If he was 23 with no track record, we could talk, but he isn't. This isn't a prospect we are talking about here. This is the very definition of a AAAA player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Again the Johnson obsession is just back up quarterback syndrome. The guy is 32 years old, and every shot he has gotten at the major league level has been awful for 5 or 6 years now. I know the AAA numbers are impressive, but so what. If he was 23 with no track record, we could talk, but he isn't. This isn't a prospect we are talking about here. This is the very definition of a AAAA player.

I'll admit, I always thought Johnson had a good swing ever since he beat the Sox in a 2005 game at the Cell. Obviously he's not going to be the next Robinson Cano, but I think he's better than someone like Brad Eldred. With that said, even if you don't play Johnson over Viciedo against RHP, you have to get someone else in the lineup instead of Viciedo. Even Hudson has had much better at bats vs RHP of late.

Gavin was getting off to horrible starts when he was pitching in the regular rotation. What are the chances he suddenly comes out (and stays) sharp after coming off the DL?

I agree with the decision to start him tonight over Liriano, but I am not optimistic. Hopefully, the rest and his record of success against the Tigers will carry the day for him, but I think the first few innings will really be key, as is often the case when he pitches.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:00 AM)
PK14 had a what, 6-7 game hit streak broken last night?

I know he's been getting on lately, but its been a lot of bloops, and honestly he looks lost up there to me. Just my feeling on it, I could be wrong.

And then there's this...

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
His hits need to count more than a box score. He's been pretty ineffective with guys on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 09:18 AM)

No, its not backup QB syndrome, because no one in their right mind is suggesting Johnson start. They are saying he should get some AB's in certain match-ups.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
I know he's been getting on lately, but its been a lot of bloops, and honestly he looks lost up there to me. Just my feeling on it, I could be wrong.

And then there's this...

No, its not backup QB syndrome, because no one in their right mind is suggesting Johnson start. They are saying he should get some AB's in certain match-ups.

There were plenty of suggestions that he should be starting in place of someone like Viciedo or Beckham against RHP's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 03:40 PM)
There were plenty of suggestions that he should be starting in place of someone like Viciedo or Beckham against RHP's.

I think Johnson could match Viciedo's current performance against RHP. Viciedo's around .220 vs RHP and looking overmatched at the plate.