4 Sox players are on the trading block

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
According to CSNChicago.com White Sox Insider Dan Hayes, Viciedo is one of several White Sox youngsters who may be available. As evidence, Hayes cited “four rival executives” who believe that Hahn is “open” to trading the young left fielder.

Make no mistake about it; Viciedo’s days in a White Sox uniform could be numbered because of his contract status.

Hayes pointed out in his article that “Viciedo’s contract stipulates he must earn 80 percent of the $3.5 million he pulled in last season, which equates to $2.8 million.”

Factor in the $1 million pro-rated share of his $4 million signing bonus and Viciedo stands to get, at minimum, a $300,000 raise in 2013. At $3.8 million, he may be a bit out of Hahn’s price range.

Now, if Viciedo’s price tag does necessitate a move, what is Hahn’s best option? A three-team trade, of course, and Hahn is already thinking the same thing.

Hahn was quoted in the Chicago Tribune on Thursday saying that the conversations he’s had at the general managers meetings in California “may lead to some three-way deals in the coming weeks."

One potential trade scenario would involve the Houston Astros and the San Diego Padres.

-The Padres receive Asher Wojciechowski (2-2 with a 2.06 ERA in eight starts at Double-A Corpus Christi) from the Astros and Gavin Floyd from the White Sox

-The Astros acquire Viciedo and Double-A pitcher Nestor Molina from the White Sox

-The White Sox get third baseman Chase Headley and a prospect (anyone will do) from the Padres.

As important as the players involved are, a three-team trade does something that may be even more so.

See, by combining Floyd’s $9.5 million salary with Viciedo’s, Hahn would shave a potential total of $13.3 million from the White Sox' payroll. Hahn could then use that money to lock up Alejandro De Aza into a long-term contract and sign Headley to an extension with money to spare.

Outside-the-box thinking, to be sure, but this is an example of what adding Viciedo in a trade could do.

In all fairness, this column is not advocating for a trade. In fact, an argument can be made that Viciedo is someone to build the future around. He is young, talented and full of potential.

If Viciedo’s worth is put into this context, however, trading him could be a great idea.

I brought up the possible trade for Headley awhile back. It makes perfect sense for us. It fills a position for years to come. A position that we have no talent at in the farm, a position that has limited talent in the free agent market. I wouldn't mind dealing Viciedo because OF spots are easier to fill than infield spots and we do have some OF talent in the farm if they chose to go that route.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headley would immediately become our #3 hitter. Viciedo is not likely to be able to fill that role, and even if he did, he's not left handed.

The lineup would be so much better balanced with a good left handed bat in the number 3 spot. Then you can bat Dunn 5TH or 6TH, which is a better spot for him.

As Caulfield pointed out, it's a lot easier to find another left fielder than it is to find a good hitting third baseman.

I wouldn't mind seeing de Aza moved to LF and either Danks or Tekotte being given a shot in CF. That would give you a great defensive outfield.

How good is Headley's defense at third?

One thing to consider is that Headley already has 3.125 years of MLB service time, so he isn't going to be locked up very long.

Last year was a break out year for him as a power hitter, especially in August and September. I hope that it wasn't a fluke.

I also noticed that he hit quite a few more homers on the road than at Petco Park, which is not surprising. He might hit close to 40 at the Cell.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
According to CSNChicago.com White Sox Insider Dan Hayes, Viciedo is one of several White Sox youngsters who may be available. As evidence, Hayes cited "four rival executives" who believe that Hahn is "open" to trading the young left fielder.

Make no mistake about it; Viciedo's days in a White Sox uniform could be numbered because of his contract status.

Hayes pointed out in his article that "Viciedo's contract stipulates he must earn 80 percent of the $3.5 million he pulled in last season, which equates to $2.8 million."

Factor in the $1 million pro-rated share of his $4 million signing bonus and Viciedo stands to get, at minimum, a $300,000 raise in 2013. At $3.8 million, he may be a bit out of Hahn's price range.

Now, if Viciedo's price tag does necessitate a move, what is Hahn's best option? A three-team trade, of course, and Hahn is already thinking the same thing.

Hahn was quoted in the Chicago Tribune on Thursday saying that the conversations he's had at the general managers meetings in California "may lead to some three-way deals in the coming weeks."

One potential trade scenario would involve the Houston Astros and the San Diego Padres.

-The Padres receive Asher Wojciechowski (2-2 with a 2.06 ERA in eight starts at Double-A Corpus Christi) from the Astros and Gavin Floyd from the White Sox

-The Astros acquire Viciedo and Double-A pitcher Nestor Molina from the White Sox

-The White Sox get third baseman Chase Headley and a prospect (anyone will do) from the Padres.

As important as the players involved are, a three-team trade does something that may be even more so.

See, by combining Floyd's $9.5 million salary with Viciedo's, Hahn would shave a potential total of $13.3 million from the White Sox' payroll. Hahn could then use that money to lock up Alejandro De Aza into a long-term contract and sign Headley to an extension with money to spare.

Outside-the-box thinking, to be sure, but this is an example of what adding Viciedo in a trade could do.

In all fairness, this column is not advocating for a trade. In fact, an argument can be made that Viciedo is someone to build the future around. He is young, talented and full of potential.

If Viciedo's worth is put into this context, however, trading him could be a great idea.

Why in the hell would San Diego make that trade? This Hayes guy is so full of s***.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Why in the hell would San Diego make that trade? This Hayes guy is so full of s***.

Ya that trade looks incredibly unrealistic. All the Padres get are Gavin Floyd and the Astros #12 prospect?? Not happening.

I can see the 3 way deal Hahn was talking about being for Headley though just not that deal.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 11:49 AM)
Ya that trade looks incredibly unrealistic. All the Padres get are Gavin Floyd and the Astros #12 prospect?? Not happening.

I can see the 3 way deal Hahn was talking about being for Headley though just not that deal.

Yeah the Padres don't get anywhere near enough in this deal. I have been one of Viciedo's biggest supporters on this board but if you can use him to get Headley, I would do it in a second. I just think they can get another OF. We have all mentioned that there are just not many guys like Chase Headley floating around out there.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Nov 10, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)
Headley will be 29 next season and is going to cash in within the next few years, what makes anyone think San Diego is going to hang on to him? Hes exactly the type of player they inevitably trade for an underwhelming package..

and they have that Gyorko kid in the wings

After looking more into it, Padre fans seem to think they'll play Gyorko at 2B and move Forsythe to SS. But anything can happen, if they get a good enough deal I think they'd trade him.

If push comes to shove, Everth Cabrera may not be a bad option at 2B while moving Gordo to 3B. Once again thats push come to shove.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Nov 9, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Seriously? He's average to below average in CF. He's 28. That's not young. I'm not sure what's wrong with any of those statements. I was responding to a post stating, "I don't know why you'd move De Aza." I like De Aza, but I'd move him in a second if we had an impact player to replace him.

He's injury prone. He doesn't suck. There's differences. You make it sound like he plays a bad CF which he doesn't do anything close to. For that, see Rob Mackowiak.

Chase Headley solves the third base dilemma and provides the Left Hand power that could be lost when Dunn gets moved.

I would offer to trade Peavey back to SD and package Thornton and Beckham with him.

On another front I would try to trade Dunn to some National league ball club with the goal of dumping most of his salary.

Thorton must be traded on principle alone. Too many blown saves and his refusal to adjust his pitching style,

And one shocker I would offer up for trade - Addison Reed. I think Nate Jones has better stuff and Reed may bring the trade value that other pitchers we have won't.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 05:32 AM)
Chase Headley solves the third base dilemma and provides the Left Hand power that could be lost when Dunn gets moved.

I would offer to trade Peavey back to SD and package Thornton and Beckham with him.

On another front I would try to trade Dunn to some National league ball club with the goal of dumping most of his salary.

Thorton must be traded on principle alone. Too many blown saves and his refusal to adjust his pitching style,

And one shocker I would offer up for trade - Addison Reed. I think Nate Jones has better stuff and Reed may bring the trade value that other pitchers we have won't.

Peavy isnt going anywhere after just signing a contract

Even if that deal were realistic in terms of what the Padres would want for Headley, I don't think the Padres would be looking to add $20+ million a year in salary.

Welcome to the board!

I actually somewhat agree with you on Reed. I'd trade him for the right price, and I could see Jones being just as good as Reed if not better.

Welcome to the board!

I actually somewhat agree with you on Reed. I'd trade him for the right price, and I could see Jones being just as good as Reed if not better.

Thanks. I love the discussion here.

Regarding what some have said about Headley for Peavy et. al....

1.) Peavy did not burn any bridges when he left SD.

2.) Peavy put down roots in SD and may well want to go back there after experiencing Chicago weather.

In short, he probably not be adverse to such a trade.

3.) The relatively short and reasonable Contract Peavy did with the Sox is not beyond what SD could handle,

especially if they are losing Headley.

4.) SD want to move Headley because they have Jedd Gyorko Visit My Website a top 3rd base prospect in their system that they want to bring up next season.

5.) Chicago Sox fans and sports reporters in Chicago are growing sick of the loud Country music played in the clubhouse.

Re- Adam Dunn, his 200+ strikeouts and lack of clutch hitting with a BA on the Mendoza line are very frustrating for a lot of us. Beyond that, the question presented at this time of year is which players have some trade value and how is that balanced against their value to our team? In Dunn's case, there very well might be a team that is looking for a big LH stick and for NL teams, even a first baseman AND they may be willing to trade for him given the size and remaining time on his Contract. It seems like the PERFECT time to unload Dunn. Last year it was impossible and who after a few months this season, he may once again become virtually un-tradeable and not worth signing here.

By that time, we will have Frank Thomas clone Keon Barnum ready to take over at first anyway.

Viciedo is a player I personally would keep because of his young age and his upside as a hitter. He made a lot of progress with plate discipline this season and is learning to adjust to baseball and to the US, so why uproot the guy now?

DeAza sparked the Sox for most of the 2012 season with clutch hits and lead-off hits, providing us with early leads.

His value to our team is far greater than what he would bring in trade.

Beckham is probably not worth trading because his trade value is probably Mark DeRosa country...a back-up for any of the top teams like Boston , NY , etc.

I agree that Thornton should be traded. I also would not be opposed to trading Reed in the right package. What i don't understand is why you think dumping Dunn, Peavy, Thornton, and Beckham and getting back Headley equates to a better baseball team. Kind of puzzling to me. Dunn isn't getting moved. God I suspect I will be seeing blanket statements such as "dump Dunn on someone for salary relief blahhhhhhhh" all offseason and next year as well. Joy