Things been quiet

chisox0587

I know things have been quiet and winter minter meetings are no for another week or two.. What do you think will possibly go down at the winter meetings? Alot of names have been thrown around in discussion, i do think it will be quite interesting with a key player or two getting traded. It seems the winter meetings have taking too long to get here and ready for the process to begin.

Edited by onedog#1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 03:02 PM)
He's right. It usually stays pretty slow except for the Marlins dumping payroll, until the free agents find their spots. The Winter Meetings usually are a dissappointment trades-wise. They always say "this year will be different", and hopefully it will, but usually it's not.

Where is Bill Veeck when we need him for splashy moves and news?

How much money, realistically, do the White Sox have to play with? Aren't they at about 90 million already with around 8 guys? If they keep their payroll in the low 100's, that doesn't leave much room for resigning Youk/AJ without cutting elsewhere, not to mention, trying to improve the team.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)
How much money, realistically, do the White Sox have to play with? Aren't they at about 90 million already with around 8 guys? If they keep their payroll in the low 100's, that doesn't leave much room for resigning Youk/AJ without cutting elsewhere, not to mention, trying to improve the team.

They have about zero extra room right now.

I obviously have nothing to base this one, but I believe the Sox will re-sign one of AJ or Youk. I'm not sure who I'd rather see, though. I would imagine it would cost about the same for each, although AJ might get more. I suppose if it came down to it, the Sox's in house solution for catcher is better than 3B. I don't know about Flowers as the starting catcher, but there just doesn't seem to be any option for 3B. So, I guess spending the money on Youk would make more sense...provided it's a 1 or 2 year deal.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
I obviously have nothing to base this one, but I believe the Sox will re-sign one of AJ or Youk. I'm not sure who I'd rather see, though. I would imagine it would cost about the same for each, although AJ might get more. I suppose if it came down to it, the Sox's in house solution for catcher is better than 3B. I don't know about Flowers as the starting catcher, but there just doesn't seem to be any option for 3B. So, I guess spending the money on Youk would make more sense...provided it's a 1 or 2 year deal.

I really feel that as each day goes by, there is a better and better chance AJ is gone. Add to that adding catching depth to the roster, to me it looks like the writing is on the wall.

Given the alternatives at each position, I'd much rather have Youk back than AJ. There is at least a chance that Flowers matches AJ's production. Even if Youk is only healthy half the year he'll produce better than any of the other 3B alternatives.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
Given the alternatives at each position, I'd much rather have Youk back than AJ. There is at least a chance that Flowers matches AJ's production. Even if Youk is only healthy half the year he'll produce better than any of the other 3B alternatives.

I hope that if Flowers gets consistent starts we see some decent production out of him. I'm not sure he'll hit for a high average, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to be a .250/20+ HR guy. His defense behind the plate is good, and it seems as if the pitching staff likes him.

I agree with Youk, too. He plays his ass off, and maybe that's why he's starting to break down. But, I'll take him for a year or two while another option is explored. And it seems as if he's a good clubhouse guy. I've heard both sides of that story, but I'm more inclined to believe his presence is a positive.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
I hope that if Flowers gets consistent starts we see some decent production out of him. I'm not sure he'll hit for a high average, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to be a .250/20+ HR guy. His defense behind the plate is good, and it seems as if the pitching staff likes him.

I agree with Youk, too. He plays his ass off, and maybe that's why he's starting to break down. But, I'll take him for a year or two while another option is explored. And it seems as if he's a good clubhouse guy. I've heard both sides of that story, but I'm more inclined to believe his presence is a positive.

I have my issues giving more than one year to either guy, given their age, but that's probably not a reality if they hope to keep either. They clearly have a much larger hole at 3B without Youkalis, but I'm not sure Flowers has proven to be much more than a backup catcher either.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
I have my issues giving more than one year to either guy, given their age, but that's probably not a reality if they hope to keep either. They clearly have a much larger hole at 3B without Youkalis, but I'm not sure Flowers has proven to be much more than a backup catcher either.

How can a guy get the opportunity to prove he can be more than a backup when he's had an ironman catcher in front him since he's been on the club?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
How can a guy get the opportunity to prove he can be more than a backup when he's had an ironman catcher in front him since he's been on the club?

He could always have dominated the minors....in a way that Flowers never really did.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
He could always have dominated the minors....in a way that Flowers never really did.

From 1996 through 1999 - ages 19-22 for AJ - he never OPS'd better than .718. He did have OPS's better than .800 - during his 2nd time in rookie ball and his 3rd time in AAA. That just proves that you don't have to dominate to be good or effective.

However, you act as if Flowers was mediocre in the minors. He had 1 season below an .838 OPS, and 4 of his 6 seasons were .866 or better, leaving him with a career split in the minors of .275/.391/.484/.876.

Mike Napoli showed better home run potential, but I honestly don't think that comparison is too far off. Flowers needs to play regularly, and I do think he can be a really, really good hitter for the Sox.

Catchers also seem to take longer to develop with the bat, probably because they spend so much time working on their game calling and defensive responsibilities in the minors. Look at how much progress Flowers has made in those areas.

I think given regular playing time, he will at least become an average offensive catcher and I think he has the potential to become much more. The real concern with him has always been and will always be contact, but as a catcher he can get away with a lower average if he can draw just enough walks and hit enough homers.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
From 1996 through 1999 - ages 19-22 for AJ - he never OPS'd better than .718. He did have OPS's better than .800 - during his 2nd time in rookie ball and his 3rd time in AAA. That just proves that you don't have to dominate to be good or effective.

However, you act as if Flowers was mediocre in the minors. He had 1 season below an .838 OPS, and 4 of his 6 seasons were .866 or better, leaving him with a career split in the minors of .275/.391/.484/.876.

Mike Napoli showed better home run potential, but I honestly don't think that comparison is too far off. Flowers needs to play regularly, and I do think he can be a really, really good hitter for the Sox.

Napoli can't catch for s***. Flowers is actually a good defensive catcher and he can throw.

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 28, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
Seems like Hahn is doing what KW never seemed to do. Dealing at the Winter Meetings and not before...

Unless the team is done already haha

I hope not. It would be nice to see some type of improvement, even if it's just to the farm. There's no way Hahn is fine with Morel at 3B. I refuse to believe it, lol.