White Sox winter meetings thread...

southsider2k5

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
What was wrong with Trumbo in the 2nd half of last season? To give you an idea of how bad he struggled, Alexei Ramirez had six more extra base hits than Trumbo did in that timespan.

He was playing with what ultimately was diagnosed as a stress fracture in his foot. His first half numbers were impressive and he hit a ton of homers on the road. The ball doesn't carry well in California at night. He would be a good bet at 35-40 playing half the time in USCF.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
Sanchez to Cubs for 5 years and $75 million. The Tigers will be looking for pitching now I assume.

Pretty solid deal for the Cubs. Sanchez is a good #3 starter and they can easily to afford to pay him $15 million a year to fill that role. Obviously five years is fairly risky, but at least they're getting him for his prime years.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)
Pretty solid deal for the Cubs. Sanchez is a good #3 starter and they can easily to afford to pay him $15 million a year to fill that role. Obviously five years is fairly risky, but at least they're getting him for his prime years.

Why pay a #3 starter 15 million a year though if you're not trying to contend for another few seasons?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)

No it's not a solid deal for the Cubs. #3 starters are regularly available on the free agent market and can be had easily for that kind of money. He'll be 29 this year and unless someone is seeing something I'm not, the Cubs will be shooting for another high draft pick this year even if Sanchez turns into Verlander.

The earliest the Cubs could possibly compete, IMO, is 2014; if they think this is their last rebuilding year, then this is $15 million blown, and $15 million less they'll have to spend next year when they are more certain what their actual needs are.

If they aren't going to be ready for a post-2013 spending spree and competing in 2014, then this deal is even worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 12:00 AM)
No it's not a solid deal for the Cubs. #3 starters are regularly available on the free agent market and can be had easily for that kind of money. He'll be 29 this year and unless someone is seeing something I'm not, the Cubs will be shooting for another high draft pick this year even if Sanchez turns into Verlander.

The earliest the Cubs could possibly compete, IMO, is 2014; if they think this is their last rebuilding year, then this is $15 million blown, and $15 million less they'll have to spend next year when they are more certain what their actual needs are.

If they aren't going to be ready for a post-2013 spending spree and competing in 2014, then this deal is even worse.

And it's not like they signed him to a below-market deal which will make him easier to trade. I don't get this at all, and it goes against everything Theo and company have done the last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 06:01 PM)
And it's not like they signed him to a below-market deal which will make him easier to trade. I don't get this at all, and it goes against everything Theo and company have done the last year.

The only thing I've got is marketing. A "We did something" move. But hell, if you wanted to do that, Hamilton wasn't that much more pricey and would have worked better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
The only thing I've got is marketing. A "We did something" move. But hell, if you wanted to do that, Hamilton wasn't that much more pricey and would have worked better.

Or heck, sign Dempster to shorter years/lower yearly money

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)
It makes me wonder why the Royals didn't just sign Anibal Sanchez or Ryan Dempster instead of trading for Shields. It would have cost them no internal talent and the annual money is more or less the same as Shields.

That's a good point. Sheilds has been a slightly better pitcher than Sanchez the last couple years, but not enormously.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 05:20 PM)
It makes me wonder why the Royals didn't just sign Anibal Sanchez or Ryan Dempster instead of trading for Shields. It would have cost them no internal talent and the annual money is more or less the same as Shields.

That's why they are the Royals, did you really expect them to think of that?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)

I just remembered that Sanchez was originally a Red Sox prospect, then left in the Beckett/Hanley deal. Theo probably still has a hard on for him from those days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 05:00 PM)

I think it's pretty clear by this deal that they are targeting 2014 to be competitive. And your comment about having less to spend in 2014 when they finally know their needs is ridiculous. They need starting pitching and lots of it. That won't change between now and next year, so there is no reason to wait until then. Do you really expect them to acquire 2-3 quality starters in one off-season in addition to other needs they might have to fill? The Cubs had to give Sanchez 5 years to make this deal happen, but the cost per year itself isn't that outrageous, at least not in this free agent market.

Also, who are all these starters on the market that are as good as Sanchez?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
I think it's pretty clear by this deal that they are targeting 2014 to be competitive. And your comment about having less to spend in 2014 when they finally know their needs is ridiculous. They need starting pitching and lots of it. That won't change between now and next year, so there is no reason to wait until then. Do you really expect them to acquire 2-3 quality starters in one off-season in addition to other needs they might have to fill? The Cubs had to give Sanchez 5 years to make this deal happen, but the cost per year itself isn't that outrageous, at least not in this free agent market.

Also, who are all these starters on the market that are as good as Sanchez?

As of right now, some of the pitchers available on the free agent market next season who are or have been close to that level (High 3's ERA in the NL, low 4's ERA in the AL). Depending on how this year goes, some of these guys might well get paid near that level, maybe even for fewer years.

Gavin Floyd

RA Dickey

Dan Haren

Tim Hudson

Phil Hughes

Ubaldo Jiminez

Josh Johnson

Tim Lincecum

Edinson Volquez

And...Matt Garza.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 05:41 PM)
As of right now, some of the pitchers available on the free agent market next season who are or have been close to that level (High 3's ERA in the NL, low 4's ERA in the AL). Depending on how this year goes, some of these guys might well get paid near that level, maybe even for fewer years.

Gavin Floyd

RA Dickey

Dan Haren

Tim Hudson

Phil Hughes

Ubaldo Jiminez

Josh Johnson

Tim Lincecum

Edinson Volquez

And...Matt Garza.

I'm talking about this year. God only knows how much free agents will be getting next year when the new TV money kicks in, plus who knows if any of those guys would sign with the Cubs, let alone two or three of them. All the Cubs know is that Sanchez was willing to sign this year and fill one of the several holes in their rotation. Sometimes you have to overpay, whether it be money or years, to fill your needs.

I'm not saying this is a great move and it definitely has risk, but given the Cubs' lack of pitching and their inability to throw unlimited money at the draft and amateur international free agents, I do think it's a solid move.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
I'm talking about this year. God only knows how much free agents will be getting next year when the new TV money kicks in, plus who knows if any of those guys would sign with the Cubs, let alone two or three of them. All the Cubs know is that Sanchez was willing to sign this year and fill one of the several holes in their rotation. Sometimes you have to overpay, whether it be money or years, to fill your needs.

I'm not saying this is a great move and it definitely has risk, but given the Cubs' lack of pitching and their inability to throw unlimited money at the draft and amateur international free agents, I do think it's a solid move.

I have an idea for how they could have an extra $15 million next offseason...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 06:20 PM)

Nobody wants to play in KC. What FA would go play there unless they were grossly overpaid?