2013 TV Thread

knightni

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a day thinking about it, I think slightly less of the Breaking Bad finale. At the time I thought it was perfect. But the more I think about it and read some of the reviews, the more I agree that it was a little too perfect, and the fact that Walt "wins" and redeems himself seems a bit cheap given the prior 2-4 episodes. It was 10000 times better than the Sopranos finale, and I'm not sure what ending would have been more satisfying (hence why I think it's still very good), but I dunno. Going out with more of a WTF? bang would have been cool.

Also, does anyone know how Jesse didn't pass the cops on the way out of the compound? I mean, I assume there is only one road leading to/from it. Wouldn't one of the cops have stopped him?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 11:42 AM)
After a day thinking about it, I think slightly less of the Breaking Bad finale. At the time I thought it was perfect. But the more I think about it and read some of the reviews, the more I agree that it was a little too perfect, and the fact that Walt "wins" and redeems himself seems a bit cheap given the prior 2-4 episodes. It was 10000 times better than the Sopranos finale, and I'm not sure what ending would have been more satisfying (hence why I think it's still very good), but I dunno. Going out with more of a WTF? bang would have been cool.

Also, does anyone know how Jesse didn't pass the cops on the way out of the compound? I mean, I assume there is only one road leading to/from it. Wouldn't one of the cops have stopped him?

I don't really see it as a "Walt wins" situation, at all. He lost his family, had to say goodbye to the daughter that cannot even understand him/will never know him, and he wasn't even able to say goodbye to his son, or explain anything to him. He also admitted that as Heisenberg, he was 'alive', and liked life, while in contrast to his former self, who he didn't even like being.

I don't think it was as clean as people are saying. It tied up loose ends, but the ending was tragic, and what happened to everyone in his life along the way was also tragic.

From the beginning, Walt was dead, either way, either from cancer or from this. This took his family from him, and his image to his family. It killed numerous people, etc...

How anyone claims this was a win, or clean, I don't think is really thinking about it.

This story was classically a retelling that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
I don't really see it as a "Walt wins" situation, at all. He lost his family, had to say goodbye to the daughter that cannot even understand him/will never know him, and he wasn't even able to say goodbye to his son, or explain anything to him. He also admitted that as Heisenberg, he was 'alive', and liked life, while in contrast to his former self, who he didn't even like being.

I don't think it was as clean as people are saying. It tied up loose ends, but the ending was tragic, and what happened to everyone in his life along the way was also tragic.

From the beginning, Walt was dead, either way, either from cancer or from this. This took his family from him, and his image to his family. It killed numerous people, etc...

How anyone claims this was a win, or clean, I don't think is really thinking about it.

This story was classically a retelling that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Ya, I'm with you on this. I've read a few places that Walt "won" and I don't see that at all.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)

In the grand scheme he got a nice send off, not that it was all clean or hunky-dory at the end. Had the show ended an episode earlier, THAT would have been the great tragic ending. He gets a member of his family killed, most of his money he earned through this illegal enterprise is stolen and what he has left is basically worthless since he can't give it to his family, his family hates him and his wife took a knife to him, his baby doesn't know who he is, and he's shipped off to a remote cabin to spend out the rest of his days in isolation, slowly dying from his cancer.

Instead he gets to scheme yet another perfect plan that allows him to (1) provide for his family with the drug money that is no longer worthless, (2) exact revenge on his enemies and let his baby (his product) die with him, (3) patch things up at least a little with his wife, (4) be the "good guy" in saving Jesse, and (5) die on his terms. I'd call that a pretty good way to go in comparison to how it could have ended in NH.

Already missing BB, Badly, need therapy. The little details throughout the series, in the writing, cinematography etc., were just amazing, AND they make subsequent re-viewings more enjoyable.

One thing I noticed in rewatching the finale last night: The last words out of Todd's mouth, as all the other Nazi's lay dead/dying, and right before Jesse begins to strangle him are "Jesus! Mr. White". It's pretty clear that the sick bastard was about to compliment WW on his brilliant scheme in taking them all out, and while the words were not literally calling WW "Jesus", they juxtapose Jesse's line during the video confession to Hank and Gomie when he says "Mr. White, he's the Devil", and also the casual poolside banter as Hank walks back from his fateful trip to the toilet and hears someone say "you Devil" in a playful description of Walt.

IOW, to the sick and evil Todd, Mr. White was like Jesus, to everyone else he was the Devil.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
In the grand scheme he got a nice send off, not that it was all clean or hunky-dory at the end. Had the show ended an episode earlier, THAT would have been the great tragic ending. He gets a member of his family killed, most of his money he earned through this illegal enterprise is stolen and what he has left is basically worthless since he can't give it to his family, his family hates him and his wife took a knife to him, his baby doesn't know who he is, and he's shipped off to a remote cabin to spend out the rest of his days in isolation, slowly dying from his cancer.

Instead he gets to scheme yet another perfect plan that allows him to (1) provide for his family with the drug money that is no longer worthless, (2) exact revenge on his enemies and let his baby (his product) die with him, (3) patch things up at least a little with his wife, (4) be the "good guy" in saving Jesse, and (5) die on his terms. I'd call that a pretty good way to go in comparison to how it could have ended in NH.

He didn't die on his terms.

His terms was for Jesse to kill him.

Jesse refused.

Instead, Walt died slowly of a gut shot gun wound delivered by himself...alone in a lab.

I'd like to highlight the word alone.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:57 PM)
He didn't die on his terms.

His terms was for Jesse to kill him.

Jesse refused.

Instead, Walt died slowly of a gut shot gun wound delivered by himself...alone in a lab.

I'd like to highlight the word alone.

OK, so he got everything else but the death he wanted. That was easily the least important on the list since he was going to die anyway.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
OK, so he got everything else but the death he wanted. That was easily the least important on the list since he was going to die anyway.

I don't know if dying alone was ever in his plan.

Also, it was VERY important to him that HE be the one to provided for his family. If you recall early on, Walt outright refused help from those rich ex-friends of his, whether they screwed him over at some point or not, he didn't want their help financially, in ANY regard, even for himself. And now, it's those same rich ex-friends that will get credited with helping his family in the future, the LAST people he ever wanted help from. While he died knowing HE provided for them, his family will think otherwise. So, it didn't happen quite the way he imagined, or wanted.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)

He could have moved out to the northwest and became a lumberjack.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
I don't know if dying alone was ever in his plan.

Also, it was VERY important to him that HE be the one to provided for his family. If you recall early on, Walt outright refused help from those rich ex-friends of his, whether they screwed him over at some point or not, he didn't want their help financially, in ANY regard, even for himself. And now, it's those same rich ex-friends that will get credited with helping his family in the future, the LAST people he ever wanted help from. While he died knowing HE provided for them, his family will think otherwise. So, it didn't happen quite the way he imagined, or wanted.

I think it was pretty obvious that he knew that was a suicide mission. He wasn't coming back.

And the money was still as a result of his work, both in cooking the meth and coming up with a plan to get that money to his family, so it's still a win for him. I don't think he was concerned with getting credit for it. That ship had sailed a while ago and he knew that.