2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
Has anyone picked up NCAA 14 yet and is it worth it?

If you like playing against other users I wouldn't buy it until an update is out. The defense is broken this year. Almost impossible to play.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
I like the looks of NHL 14. NHL 13 is the worst of the franchise since I started playing in NHL 10. Theyve actually more or less have gotten progressively worse. I just dont think they can do worse than 13 though.

NHL 13 is incredible. The variance of goals and the way you score is top notch. It actually plays like a real game and not like an arcade game. I guess that's why I like it, though. It's realistic.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 15, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
NHL 13 is incredible. The variance of goals and the way you score is top notch. It actually plays like a real game and not like an arcade game. I guess that's why I like it, though. It's realistic.

It depends what game mode you play. Playing Vs on 13 is quite fun. I pretty exclusively play 6 on 6 online and there are a lot of flaws in the game that the 6 vs 6 community has gripes about. Things like how easy it is to play goalie, all goalies have to do to dominate online is sit in the middle of the crease in butterfly and make their player 6'9" and its nearly impossible to score. Also, if you spam the Y button (triangle on ps3) while skating behind someone with the puck you can "ghost poke" it away from them, its just a very glitchy game online. A large part of the community has stopped playing NHL 13 because of the goalie issue.

If youre bored here is a video of someone playing goalie like that in the league I play in, its Minnesotas goalie on the bottom of the screen. Its become an epidemic in the game.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
It depends what game mode you play. Playing Vs on 13 is quite fun. I pretty exclusively play 6 on 6 online and there are a lot of flaws in the game that the 6 vs 6 community has gripes about. Things like how easy it is to play goalie, all goalies have to do to dominate online is sit in the middle of the crease in butterfly and make their player 6'9" and its nearly impossible to score. Also, if you spam the Y button (triangle on ps3) while skating behind someone with the puck you can "ghost poke" it away from them, its just a very glitchy game online. A large part of the community has stopped playing NHL 13 because of the goalie issue.

If youre bored here is a video of someone playing goalie like that in the league I play in, its Minnesotas goalie on the bottom of the screen. Its become an epidemic in the game.

There's been a similar problem in FIFA since they introduced the goalie in 11. There are way too many GKs that you just can't score on unless it's a header in a perfect set up or a 2 on 0 breakaway. I love that mode in FIFA, but the game didn't run very well after a while. I'd have lag almost every game that was unplayable and the game would freeze in the lobby screens for everyone. I just got fed up. Hopefully next gen will allow for better online play.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)

That's quite a gripe. It doesn't apply to me since I'm just a "franchise" guy. I'm in the middle of a season with the champs roster and then I'll have a fun offseason.

Ya Fifa can be tricky because it can be up to 22 people connected to one game and there are also lots of people that play it all over the world so the connection can be rough. On NHL the servers are pretty good, its mainly played by north americans though.

So I'm definitely buying a ps4 when it releases and thinking of getting the new NHL/Fifa and undecided on a third game. Has anyone here played the GranTurismo/NeedforSpeed series of games and which one would you recommend and assuming there is online mode people actually play on for both? Obviously assumptions would be the online community for ps4 would be similar to that of ps3.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 16, 2013 -> 05:52 PM)
Has anyone here played the GranTurismo/NeedforSpeed series of games and which one would you recommend and assuming there is online mode people actually play on for both?

Yep, Gran Turismo is perfect for someone looking for a true racing sim, the cars are supposed to handle and feel like their real life counterparts, you can customize everything on the car, i mean real gearhead stuff (gear ratios, suspension height, downforce, power distribution on a limited slip differential, and tons more), the race tracks are detailed to the very exact specs as their real life counterparts as well in terms of track width and every bump and turn you go through. Need for speed is an arcadey racing sim that is still very fun and has a fairly nice amount of depth. i had a blast playing need for speed most wanted, for those times when you just want to hop in a cool expensive car and unrealistically rip through a make believe city. The online modes for both titles are very active, even to this day.

Edited by flippedoutpunk

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jul 14, 2013 -> 08:58 PM)
If you like playing against other users I wouldn't buy it until an update is out. The defense is broken this year. Almost impossible to play.

Could you elaborate on what is wrong?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public...sports+contract

NCAA will not renew EA Sports contract

The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 02:17 AM)
Could you elaborate on what is wrong?

Zone is pretty much unplayable because the defenders have terrible awareness. Man gets beat very often by man beater type plays and sometimes the QB can just challenge a defender by throwing it to a covered guy and the defender won't react to it and the pass will be caught.

The read option is very strong in the game, as is running in general.

Overall scores won't be too high because running is much more prevalent in this years game (which eats clock), but getting actual stops is very, very hard. I'm good at football games generally (was something like 35-10 online last year and was much better online two years ago), but this year's game is almost unplayable.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
When will the NFL do this is the better question.

The NCAA is in enough hot water right now with accusations of fraudulent activity by profiting off of amateur athletes. That has everything to do with why they are getting out of this.

The NFL? They don't give a s***. They get a cut and all they have to do is say "yeah you can use our name and logos."

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 04:08 PM)
When will the NFL do this is the better question.

I don't think you understand - this means there will be NO NCAA video game (at least that's how it reads). The NCAA would need to license to a whole bunch of companies to open up competition which I believe is what you seek. The way this statement is written, there will be no game in 2015 that has your favorite college team in it.

Steve is the smarts.

The NCAA is worried about lawsuits by players saying that the NCAA is making money off of them. It has nothing to do with exclusive license.

In comparison the NFL/NFLPA have agreements with the players where they can license their image. Which is why back in the day a few players were not named, because they did not individually agree to it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 09:12 PM)
I don't think you understand - this means there will be NO NCAA video game (at least that's how it reads). The NCAA would need to license to a whole bunch of companies to open up competition which I believe is what you seek. The way this statement is written, there will be no game in 2015 that has your favorite college team in it.

It doesn't mean that at all. The game has always negotiated separately with schools. The ncaa does not own the school's licensing rights. The only thing that changes is the name on the cover. College Football '15 it is.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)
It doesn't mean that at all. The game has always negotiated separately with schools. The ncaa does not own the school's licensing rights. The only thing that changes is the name on the cover. College Football '15 it is.

Oh, ok. It read differently to me, but if that's just referring to "NCAA" then nice.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 04:18 PM)

Yes but if you read between the lines the NCAA is trying to distance itself from any potential lawsuit by saying "It wasnt us, it was the school"

So now schools will have to license without the cloak of authority from the NCAA. Id guess that a few schools play it safe and dont renew their licenses due to concerns of potential future lawsuit.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 17, 2013 -> 10:28 PM)
Yes but if you read between the lines the NCAA is trying to distance itself from any potential lawsuit by saying "It wasnt us, it was thdidn'tchool"

So now schools will have to license without the cloak of authority from the NCAAexclusive guess that a few schools play it safe and dont rehappened.their licenses due to concerns of potential future lawsuit.

Yeah this was the ncaa trying to say they were never really in bed with EA and IMG, they were putting their own name forward the whole time.

All of the schools aside from Notre Dame are under one roof and until that changes I dont think we will see a major change. The CLC and to a lesser extent EA were the big targets of O'Bannons suit so if they didn't back out awhile ago I dont see them backing out now. I could see the CLC giving up the exclusive deal with EA and in fact I think may have already happened as a result of the lawsuit. Also I could see them doing away with exact player numbers and approximate attributes but not until the suit is resolved since that would be admitting defeat in court.

EA just put out a statement:

Statement from EA:

By now, most fans will have heard that EA's licensing agreement with the NCAA is set to expire and that we have agreed to part ways. I'm sure gamers are wondering what this means.

This is simple: EA SPORTS will continue to develop and publish college football games, but we will no longer include the NCAA names and marks. Our relationship with the Collegiate Licensing Company is strong and we are already working on a new game for next generation consoles which will launch next year and feature the college teams, leagues and all the innovation fans expect from EA SPORTS.

We took big creative strides with this year's college game and you’ll see much more in the future. We love college football and look forward to making more games for our fans.