Sox Sign Matt Lindstrom

Heads22

Also shouldn't dismiss the possibility that Lindstrom is our closer. As much as I like Reed, he didn't prove last year he was a sure-fire closer. That 9th inning spot is most definitely up for grabs this year. While it's probably in the team's best interest for the future that Reed takes the next step this year and become a great closer, it is by no means a sure thing.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 20, 2013 -> 07:40 AM)
Also shouldn't dismiss the possibility that Lindstrom is our closer. As much as I like Reed, he didn't prove last year he was a sure-fire closer. That 9th inning spot is most definitely up for grabs this year. While it's probably in the team's best interest for the future that Reed takes the next step this year and become a great closer, it is by no means a sure thing.

I don't think he is our closer, but there is a real chance that he could become the closer. Nate Jones is also a real possibility.

Some of you guys are too hung up on what the Sox might be paying him...Who the f cares?!?

The Sox (obviously) wouldn't have signed him if he was "cost prohibitive". The "bottom line" will always be the bottom line.

I think it was a solid baseball move...congrats Mr. Hahn.

Now go out and get us a back up catcher (George Kottaras?) and a left handed hitting infielder (Matt Carpenter?), and lets declaw the f--king Tigers!

:headbang

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Some of you guys atoo hung up on what the Sox might be paying him...Who the f cares?!?

re The Sox (obviously) wouldn't have signed him if he was "cost prohibitive". The "bottom line" will always be the bottom line.

Now go out and get us a back up catcher (George Kottaras?) and a left handed hitting infielder (Matt Carpenter?), and lets declaw the f--king Tigers!

The people who understand how to construct a roster with financial restraints, they care.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:21 AM)
Some of you guys are too hung up on what the Sox might be paying him...Who the f cares?!?

The Sox (obviously) wouldn't have signed him if he was "cost prohibitive". The "bottom line" will always be the bottom line.

Because it might give us insight some into how much more salary we can add to payroll?

Although considering the Diamondbacks passed on his $4 million option, I'm thinking $3 million is probably a pretty decent guess for his salary.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
That would be THOSE in the Sox' front office!

No, that would be THOSE people on this site who constantly argue with you when you complain about what other teams are doing and what the Sox arent doing.

No, that would be THOSE people on this site who constantly argue with you when you complain about what other teams are doing and what the Sox arent doing.

Dude...I just gave "props" to the Sox for making a positive move to improve the team...quit your damn b****ing and moaning already.

Just for the record, if there was a player "out there" who's acquisition could guarantee the Sox another WS Championship, I wouldn't care if they paid him $50 million/season. I just want the Sox to win; they can suck for the next 5 seasons, but I want to see another championship.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Dude...I just gave "props" to the Sox for making a positive move to improve the team...quit your damn b****ing and moaning already.

Just for the record, if there was a player "out there" who's acquisition could guarantee the Sox another WS Championship, I wouldn't care if they paid him $50 million/season. I just want the Sox to win; they can suck for the next 5 seasons, but I want to see another championship.

And you had to take a shot at everyone else while doing it. Don't act surprised when people call you on it.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)

You would complain every day for the next 5 seasons that they suck, of this i have no doubt.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 07:10 PM)
His name is the loser of the 5th starter audition. It will almost assuredly be Quintana or Santiago.

I actually agree with Marty here...

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 19, 2013 -> 07:27 PM)
I'd prefer the loser take his regular turn at Charlotte rather than be long man.

Santiago being a long reliever is a terrible idea. Let him start in Charlotte. Make Axelrod the long guy.

You would complain every day for the next 5 seasons that they suck, of this i have no doubt.

Here's what you don't seem to understand...the Sox' "window" for playoff success is rapidly closing. We have several players who won't be around (or effective) much longer and we don't really have viable replacements for them in the minors. The time to "go for it" is now, before Konerko is gone, before Peavy is gone, before Dunn is gone, etc. If they go around picking up a "Keppinger" here, a "Lindstrom" there...those are nice pieces to have but, without something "major", the Sox won't catch Detroit.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 21, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Lindstrom's 50ish innings make Crain look like an innings eater. Ventura is going to have to handle the pen better than he did last year for this move to be a good one.

This is REALLY digging to find something to complain about. You say that like we don't have any depth in our bullpen.