Trade Idea: Rios & Rangers

Marty34

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Rangers could use an OF bat with Cruz situation up in the air. A Rios-for-Olt deal might make sense with Keppinger moving to a corner OF spot for the time being.

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. With Rios being so inconsistent and expensive though, I just have a hard time thinking he'd command a premium prospect. Maybe if he starts hot and we're willing to send along some cash...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
I like the idea, but I am not sure if Rios is worth nearly that much.

I hear ya. Olt's 24 which is getting old for a prospect and the Rangers might be in a tough spot for a middle-of-the-order OF bat soon. That said, the Sox would have to eat some of Rios' contract to make a deal.

I'm down and of course Rios's value would be higher to the Rangers than in general. It's worth asking if they'd rather snatch up a Michael Bourn instead...but they don't get any of the lost power of Cruz back in that case.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)
No to trading Rios or Viciedo. But, Scot Rolen might be an option at 3B and use Keppinger as the super utilityman

Scott Rolen is terrible.

Over his last 599 PAs, he's put up .244/.301/.397/.698.

Rios for Olt is kind of a cool idea.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 12:54 AM)
No to trading Rios or Viciedo. But, Scot Rolen might be an option at 3B and use Keppinger as the super utilityman

Rolen may be done; honestly.

Ben Zobrist would ideally fit their need the most, but who knows what he'd cost.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jan 31, 2013 -> 08:59 PM)
I hear ya. Olt's 24 which is getting old for a prospect and the Rangers might be in a tough spot for a middle-of-the-order OF bat soon. That said, the Sox would have to eat some of Rios' contract to make a deal.

Harper and Trout have f***ed up reality for baseball fans.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 06:39 AM)
If Courtney Hawkins doesnt show something this season in the majors, we should probably look into trading him

This in meant as a joke but in actuality it is not necessarily a bad idea to trade a prospect the world is high on 2-3 years before he would be expected to do anything. Hawkins is actually the type of prospect other teams will want IMO.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 06:32 AM)
Harper and Trout have f***ed up reality for baseball fans.

I'd say it's the entire TB Rays organization. I say, as a fan, don't even think about trying to emulate their success. It doesn't happen, and it is probably even more of a pipedream than trying to be the Yankees/Dodgers/etc. and run out a $200M payroll every season. Most minor league talent just doesn't pan out like that.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 08:26 AM)
This in meant as a joke but in actuality it is not necessarily a bad idea to trade a prospect the world is high on 2-3 years before he would be expected to do anything. Hawkins is actually the type of prospect other teams will want IMO.

Less than a year after he is drafted, when your minor league system is considered 28th best?

Yes, that is a terrible idea. Of course other teams are going to want him, he is a highly regarded prospect

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 08:52 AM)
I trust (hope) you're joking! If the Sox made that trade, Olt would be the best 3B in the organization BY FAR!

What are you basing that on.........his AA stats? He could be but he has a less than .500 OPS in the major leagues and he's older than Viciedo. According to your previous posts, acquiring him would not be the best option.

I would trade Rios for Olt for sure. I would trade Rios for a bag of balls if the other team took his contract. But this is another case of posters loving other teams' prospects while hating on White Sox prospects who put up similar if not better numbers.

Mike Olt pre-2012...ranked 42nd best prospect

Brian Anderson pre-2005...ranked 37th best prospect

Olt's success is far from guaranteed.

Edited by Dick Allen