2013 MLB Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 12:37 PM)
It's a ball, but that call barely gets attention if Pierzynski receives it correctly. Pierzynski absolutely turned that into a ball and made it look awful. Perception is reality, and catchers can help or hurt themselves when receiving pitches. Pierzynski gave up on it, which is enough to make it a ball. Even had that caught the zone, you still should ball it. It's shocking that Pierzynski would give up on a curve ball that could possibly end the game and didn't miss by THAT much.

This is what I saw too. It was clearly a pitch out of the zone, but this isn't Robbie Alomar or Fred McGriff bad. It was a wide strike and just so happened to come at an inopportune time.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
It's a ball, but that call barely gets attention if Pierzynski receives it correctly. Pierzynski absolutely turned that into a ball and made it look awful. Perception is reality, and catchers can help or hurt themselves when receiving pitches. Pierzynski gave up on it, which is enough to make it a ball. Even had that caught the zone, you still should ball it. It's shocking that Pierzynski would give up on a curve ball that could possibly end the game and didn't miss by THAT much.

I don't know how much he gave up on it as he just received it poorly...he had a tendency to do the same when he was behind the plate for us...for whatever reason he seems to backhand that ball for whatever reason and I felt that we lost some calls last year because of that...

Also, watch Nathan...he gave up on it too...his reaction is the best part of the entire video, IMO...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
I don't know how much he gave up on it as he just received it poorly...he had a tendency to do the same when he was behind the plate for us...for whatever reason he seems to backhand that ball for whatever reason and I felt that we lost some calls last year because of that...

Also, watch Nathan...he gave up on it too...his reaction is the best part of the entire video, IMO...

Receiving it poorly is giving up on it. Backhanding it is fine, just stick it. Taking it to the ground was the issue.

Nathan gave up because of how Pierzynski received it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
Receiving it poorly is giving up on it. Backhanding it is fine, just stick it. Taking it to the ground was the issue.

Nathan gave up because of how Pierzynski received it.

Agreed the pitch was not that bad. Mlbn made a huge issue about it as well. God I hope they do not turn into ESPN.

I went to an Indianapolis Indians (Pirates AAA team) game on Tuesday, and Brandon Inge was playing for them on a rehab assignment. That was kind of cool. And Felix Pie was playing for them, too...wow he still sucks at baseball. Struck out three times, twice looking, and argued with the umpire.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Speaking of crowds, the Red Sox sell out streak is over at 820.

By most accounts, the sell out sreak ended in the last year or two. The Red Sox just kept the "streak" going with various ticket giveaways and other manipulations.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 11:14 PM)
Still cant get the players off the field.

Both benches cleared TWICE haha. Bull pens ran out....ran back....then ran back out.

i guess CQ finally got tired of being hit lol heres the video

fight

Kemp is such a thug. Why is he getting so involved? Stick up for your pitcher, sure, but looking to right Quentin in the parking lot? Grow the f*** up dude. Your pitcher, who has a history with this hitter, hits the guy. Then, as he stares him down, Grienke says something to Quentin and he reacts by charging him. Then, in an attempt to fight back, Grienke breaks his own collarbone when he lowers his shoulder and smashes in to Quentin.

I'm with Q on this one.

What a b**** move by Quentin, they should suspend him for a month to match the time Greinke will miss. In that game situation, Greinke was not purposely throwing at him. If you are that sick of getting hit by pitches, then stop crowding the plate.

I know why Kemp was pissed, but he was also out of line. Two meatheads don't make a right.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
What a b**** move by Quentin, they should suspend him for a month to match the time Greinke will miss. In that game situation, Greinke was not purposely throwing at him. If you are that sick of getting hit by pitches, then stop crowding the plate.

I know why Kemp was pissed, but he was also out of line. Two meatheads don't make a right.

Eh, there is previous stuff involved, he shouldn't be suspended for a month. Q has been hit so many times in the past and I'm not sure he has ever charged the mound before. I think Greinke had it coming with Q.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 01:08 AM)
Yep, Greinke broke his left collarbone. Should be crazy next week with Padres in LA to face Dodgers

I wouldn't put it past LA fans to act like idiots next week.

Of course, they'll all be wearing 42 on Monday for the occasion. Just to, you know, class it up.