2013 AL Central Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 09:16 AM)
Honestly it is too bad the Sox and Royals can't trade with each other because they are in the same division. There could be some interesting potential matches.

There's no way they would trade Moustakas or Hosmer. They'll run them into Luke Hochevar status before that happens.

The only players left who are interesting are Salvador Perez, Escobar (to replace Ramirez, but why would they trade a younger/cheaper version of Alexei to us?) and Cain.

Alex Gordon is their franchise player right now, along with Billy Butler.

I can't think of anyone they would want from our organization...other than Sale and some of our relievers. You can add Quintana, Santiago and Reed, but they need offense just as badly as the Sox do.

They're not going to trade Moustakas OR Hosmer for Viciedo/Rios, for example. (Although that would be an interesting move since they're in "win now" mode).

I don't even know if White Sox fans would be for acquiring Hosmer for Viciedo/Rios, actually.

Edited by caulfield12

MLB Transactionist ‏@MLBTransactions 6m

KANSAS CITY ROYALS: Claimed outfielder Quintin Berry off waivers from the Detroit Tigers and optioned Berry to Omaha (PCL).

CLEVELAND INDIANS: Placed shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera on the 15-day disabled list; recalled infielder Juan Diaz from Columbus (IL).

OYALS

Royals pull surprise by choosing shortstop Hunter Dozier in first round

June 6

BY BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star

To hear the Royals tell it, their decision Thursday to take shortstop Hunter Dozier with the eighth overall pick in baseball’s annual first-year player draft shouldn’t be viewed as a surprise.

“He is who we are,” scouting director Lonnie Goldberg said. "He fits who we are. He’s a ballplayer. He loves to play. You will not go to the ballpark and see him not working on something.

"It’s what we’re taught in scouting -- go out and find the big bodies with the big tools and plus makeup. Then let them reach their ceiling, whatever that is.

"We think he’s on the rise. He might not have been known publicly or nationally as much as some of the other players, but in our draft room he very much was."

Dozier, 21, is a 6-foot-4, 220-pound shortstop from Stephen F. Austin State in Nacogdoches, Texas. He offers the promise of power, with 17 homers in 55 games.

That power was important.

"Big-time power to all fields," Goldberg said. "He’s not just a pull hitter. He’s got power the opposite way. And he’s athletic. He’s played the middle of the diamond. So we know he’s got flexibility to move around."

But Dozier was also ranked by Baseball America as the No. 38 prospect in the draft, which fueled immediate speculation the Royals had an agreement in place for a signing bonus below the slotted amount of $3,137,800.

If so, the club would have additional money in their bonus pool to overspend on subsequent picks. They will likely spend some of that money on Sean Manaea, a left-handed pitcher from Indiana State who was their 34th overall selection and first pick in the first competitive-balance round. Manaea, 6-5 and 235 pounds, was ranked as high as No. 10 by Baseball America in recent weeks. But he rolled his ankle in March, which has led to subsequent hip problems.

According to Baseball America, Manaea hasn't been able to hold his velocity deep into games this spring, mostly pitching between 88-93 mph. His numbers were still good (1.61 ERA, .192 opponent batting average), but nothing compared to what he did last summer in the Cape Cod League. He was its pitcher of the year, striking out 85 in 52 innings and holding opponents to a .119 average.

The Royals also had their regular pick in the second round (No. 46 overall) on Thursday and selected left-handed pitcher Cody Reed out of Northwest Mississippi Junior College, who was ranked No. 104 by Baseball America.

"Obviously, we have 41 selections," general manager Dayton Moore said, "and we’re going to try to maximize the allotted dollar amount that we received based on our slot...the best we can."

While Moore and Dozier said no agreement is yet in place, Moore noted: "We have a pretty good feel for what the dollars are going to be."

Dozier’s size makes him a logical candidate to switch positions, most likely to third base, and he expressed a willingness to embrace any change.

"Wherever they need me to play," he said, "I will give 100 percent. If they want me to play third, if they want me to play outfield or stay at short...I am down for whatever."

Assistant general manager J.J. Picollo, who oversees the scouting and player-development departments, said Dozier is likely to start his pro career in a short-season league -- either Idaho Falls or Burlington (N.C.).

"Our goal this first summer," Picollo said, "is to get his feet on the ground and get acclimated with playing every day. And get to know our system.

"We all know we’ve got depth at our shortstop position, but we believe in his ability to play (shortstop)...I would anticipate he’ll get time at shortstop."

Baseball America characterized Dozier as a "Jeff Kent-style player in a Drew Stubbs body," but he likened himself to Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and Tampa Bay third baseman Evan Longoria.

"I’m a big guy who can move a little bit," he said. "I have some power when I hit, and I feel like my fielding is getting better each and every year. Hopefully, I can grow into a complete five-tool player."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/06/42778...l#storylink=cpy

no idea where the MLB draft thread went to...

Jimenez is still afraid to challenge hitters with his missing fastball.

He walked Cabrera (RBI 67) for the third run, Swisher made a big error but Jimenez threw about 40 pitches and added 3 walks.

Weird year for Ubaldo....7 quality starts with an ERA in the mid 1's, then 4 really bad starts with a 12+ ERA.

Verlander let them back into the game. Righties and lefties are both hitting in the .260's against him this year.

11 earned runs already in about 15 innings pitched against the Tribe. Interestingly, he's only 15-14 career-wise against them.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
Just getting a big ol' box of weed delivered to his doorstep, eh?

Addressed to Brody Baum. His dogs name and his wife's maiden name

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013...leyand_not.html

Verlander/Leyland feud (mostly on Leyland's part)....Indians' announcers were saying that you NEVER EVER do anything to disrespect Jim Leyland and how upset he actually was with Verlander. Compared it to when Bonds was on the Pirates in the early 90's and his head was getting too big (figuratively, at that time) and cut him down to size to teach him a lesson.

Ah, those "old school" baseball guys...don't make 'em like Leyland anymore.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 30, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/30/42640...brett-onto.html

Essentially, there's STILL going to be two of them. Big step to give that other role to someone who has been with the Mariners for the last decade, not exactly a hotbed of hitting...maybe they needed someone who was a better communicator with their young Latin players like Escobar and Perez, just a guess, though.

George Brett doesn't "believe in" watching a lot of tape, so that's the main reason they have Pedro Grifol. I hope this leads to Yost being replaced by Brett on a full-time basis.

After losing a franchise-record 11 straight at home, the Royals have now won 4 straight, all at home. Ervin Santana got career win #100 tonight. Although those wins were against the Twins and Astros, they are actually starting to hit.

Currently in 4th place, 6.5 games out of 1st, 2 out of 2nd, 0.5 out of 3rd.

New father Nick Swisher 0 for his last 26. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Indians have lost 6 straight, 4-14 in their last 18 (were 9 games over .500), and about to play the Rangers for 3.

Today, they're getting shut out through 4 by a AAAA call-up in LHP Jose Alvarez (going for Sanchez), who's not considered a top prospect. Leyland claims that Drew Smyly has been his best pitcher the last month but not stretched out enough to take a spot start.

AL Central might be over for all intents and purposes the 2nd week of June. We'll see.

Victor Martinez hitting .328 over the last 3 weeks...much more dangerous. With Peralta, Cabrera/Fielder, then Hunter and Austin Jackson when the get him back from the DL...it doesn't matter how bad Alex Avila and Valverde are, at least until the playoffs. Dirks and Kelly have been serviceable, and a lot of scouts still expect Avisail Garcia to become an All-Star someday based on his physical tools and size.

Edited by caulfield12

Twins uber prospect Byron Buxton had one hell of a game including that catch. Twins promoted Miguel Sano and Eddie Rosario to AA New Britain over the weekend and Buxton will probably go to High-A Fort Myers next week.

The Twins have been pretty stinky the last couple of seasons, but there is hope for the future, but still at least a year away.

Royals now 29-32, winners of 6 straight and tied with Cleveland for 2nd place, at 5.5 games back. A week ago the Royals were in dead last and 6.5 games back.

I think June will be make or break for KC, they are 7-2 so far, with this schedule coming up...

2 v. Detroit (Wade Davis v. Scherzer, Shields v. Verlander)

4 @ Tampa

3 @ Cleveland

3 v. White Sox

2 v. Atlanta

4 @ Minnesota

Edited by High Mileage

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jun 11, 2013 -> 01:33 PM)
Royals now winners of 6 straight and tied with Cleveland for 2nd place, at 5.5 games back. A week ago the Royals were in dead last and 6.5 games back.

I think June will be make or break for KC, they are 7-2 so far, with this schedule coming up...

2 v. Detroit (Davis v. Scherzer, Mendoza v. Verlander)

4 @ Tampa

3 @ Cleveland

3 v. White Sox

2 v. Atlanta

4 @ Minnesota

June and July are going to be make or break months for the Royals, Indians, and White Sox, and I think you could legitimately see all 3 teams pretty much fall out of the race.