White Sox v Indians 4/12/13

bjm676

"Our problem is we're not getting a big hit to drive a run in," Dunn said. "It seems like it's been like that from the get-go. I know personally I've been terrible. I've had a lot of opportunities to open some games up but haven't been able to do it."

yes, yes you have.

...the White Sox, who are 9-for-62 hitting this season with runners in scoring position...

That's a .145 avg. Raise your hand if you think that'll last.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:21 PM)
Rios has the skillset to be a part of the long-term (next 3-4 years) plan. His contract would need to be re-worked, but if Alex can go 2+ seasons in a row without taking a month off mentally, then you can think about that. It's too early though, Alex's head has been in the game for 1 year plus half a month.

The team OBP isn't a concern when you are factoring in Dunn, who is a prime candidate for a Linebrink-style exit after the season, and other players like Flowers & Viciedo who won't be on the next great Sox team without picking their games up.

The Sox are seeing what they have. You are craaay caulfield, I mean really, what are you looking for out of Robin? He's not a game manager, he's a player's manager. We aren't good enough yet where we need both. Last year's Robin could do what exactly? His team didn't hit the baseball and eventually some of his starters ran out of gas. Robin took that dogs*** 2011 squad, subtracted a bunch of talent, and came up with a much better team. And this year at least we've been in the games. s*** pickles, tonight I thought was a good performance: Rios keeping the hit streak alive, Gillaspie with another hit, excellent start by Quintana. If Veal had made an appearance and found a way to throw the damn ball over the plate I'd have been thrilled. You craaay.

Veal was incredible last year.

Right now, he's at a point after less than 2 weeks where Ventura's hesitant to use him.

As far as Ozzie Guillen (vs. Robin) goes, he had the PERFECT feel for using the bullpen and strategy MOST of the time from 2004-2008...you can't just have "a player's manager" and get away with that unless you have top-tier talent across the roster. Ventura hasn't shown many indicators of progress if you made a checklist and compared his April/May/June 2012 with where he should have been following a normal learning curve.

Look at the A's roster. Other than Cespedes and Reddick, there aren't very many "scary" players, and yet they play together so well as a team and complement each other extremely well. It has taken Bob Melvin three different managing gigs now to get to that point, though.

If things keep on going like they are with the Angels, every team in baseball will have the choice of the best strategist in the game (Scioscia) who's definitely the antithesis of the modern day "player's manager."

Can you honestly say you'd prefer Robin?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
Most boring team since 2007, and it's not even close. This is what happens when you can't make up your mind whether or not to rebuild or go for it.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 08:45 PM)
I already want to give up my tickets for Friday. I'm sorry but there is nothing fun about this team. So frustrated right now.

This team has the personality of a gym shoe. There are no interesting/exciting players on this team. They have no characters, no spark plugs on the team.

In 2005 they had guys like Carl, AJ, Mark, Aaron, etc. Now that they are all gone this is just a dull boring team. The losses don't seem to even bother me much anymore. I'm mostly bored watching them and I'm losing interest. I hope it's just the weather that's making me feel this way, but I think it's more the personality of the team, the makeup of the roster.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:36 PM)
This team has the personality of a gym shoe. There are no interesting/exciting players on this team. They have no characters, no spark plugs on the team.

In 2005 they had guys like Carl, AJ, Mark, Aaron, etc. Now that they are all gone this is just a dull boring team. The losses don't seem to even bother me much anymore. I'm mostly bored watching them and I'm losing interest. I hope it's just the weather that's making me feel this way, but I think it's more the personality of the team, the makeup of the roster.

1) There's no superstar.

2) The best player on the team is Rios, and most fans felt, at best, ambivalent about him until last season...if not more negatively.

3) No identity. Konerko is soon to be gone, and that follows the losses of fans favorites AJ, Buehrle, Crede, Rowand, Thome, Dye, etc., over the last five or so years.

4) Dunn is an all-or-nothing player who had one of the worst seasons in baseball history in his first season after signing a new contract.

5) Disappointment in Beckham, who was the last bright light among homegrown position player prospects.

6) The White Sox need to do a better job marketing Chris Sale.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 12, 2013 -> 10:44 PM)
Anthony Rizzo's marketing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chris Sale's

Heck, Castro >>> Sale

Jackson, Baez, Almora, Soler, etc. >>> Sale

You came blame SOME of that on media bias, some of that on the history of the White Sox minor league system...the fact that Chris wasn't developed and nurtured in our minor league and just went into the bullpen right away and then was a reliever for two years.

Great atmosphere in Oakland tonight.

Oakland is absolutely on fire. As for the Tigers, looks like they are leaning towards Benoit for now as closer, but they just re-signed Papa Grande again. 3-0 Tigers' lead off a Fielder oppo homer whittled away finally to a tie game, very similar to the Nats/Braves game in Washington.

Houston wiping out the Angels in So Cal. 5-0 Houston. Norris pitching a great game...perhaps one of the first starting pitchers to be put on the trade block as Luhnow continues to rebuild that system. LAA would fall to 2-8.

Jason Frasor spotting for the Rangers. Came in for Darvish.

Jose Reyes return timetable...1-3 months

Edited by caulfield12

1) There's no superstar.

2) The best player on the team is Rios, and most fans felt, at best, ambivalent about him until last season...if not more negatively.

3) No identity. Konerko is soon to be gone, and that follows the losses of fans favorites AJ, Buehrle, Crede, Rowand, Thome, Dye, etc., over the last five or so years.

4) Dunn is an all-or-nothing player who had one of the worst seasons in baseball history in his first season after signing a new contract.

5) Disappointment in Beckham, who was the last bright light among homegrown position player prospects.

6) The White Sox need to do a better job marketing Chris Sale.

^ This except #6.

All Chris has to do is pitch.

In the meantime, big $ guys like Paulie, Dunn, Rios, Peavy, etc. just have to play close to their worth....

Tall order, huh?

They all suck.

Completely overpaid.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 04:36 AM)

It is a dull offense, but I still maintain if we could get excellent starting pitching and combine it with top notch defense, we could have something here.

I think we are going to be supporting one of the worst offensive teams in Sox history, or one of the worst offensive teams in road games in team history.People could support a team strong on defense and exceptional on the mound, though.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 02:40 AM)
It is a dull offense, but I still maintain if we could get excellent starting pitching and combine it with top notch defense, we could have something here.

I think we are going to be supporting one of the worst offensive teams in Sox history, or one of the worst offensive teams in road games in team history.People could support a team strong on defense and exceptional on the mound, though.

Oh man, 2007 wasn't that long ago, where were you? 3rd worst in Runs per game, last in AVG, last in OBP. That team had Jerry Owens, Danny Richar, Josh Fields, Rob Mackowiac, Alex Cintron, Daren Erstad, Andy Gonzalez, Toby Hall, oh my god. Jim Thome led our team in average, batting .275, just a god awful team.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 01:35 AM)
Oh man, 2007 wasn't that long ago, where were you? 3rd worst in Runs per game, last in AVG, last in OBP. That team had Jerry Owens, Danny Richar, Josh Fields, Rob Mackowiac, Alex Cintron, Daren Erstad, Andy Gonzalez, Toby Hall, oh my god. Jim Thome led our team in average, batting .275, just a god awful team.

But even that team was more exciting because of Fields' homers, Owens had some success the last couple of months, Ehren Wasserman was a revelation (for a brief time) out of the bullpen....

There was the excitement of some rookie position players, at least.

That team also had Konerko, Dye, AJ, Thome, Buehrle, Crede, Garcia, Contreras, Javy, Garland, Jenks, it's not like they were ALL stiffs.

It was also a team only two seasons removed from a World Series title with most of the same components intact.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Sale, Quintana, and Santiago have been solid If that continues with Santiago in the rotation, I will consider the season a success. Deal Rios and Peavy at the deadline.

Marty you always test the bounds of reality :lol: Why trade these guys? This isn't Miami

QUOTE (jhonnydanks @ Apr 13, 2013 -> 02:50 AM)
Step away. Drink a beer. Get 'em tomorrow. The sky is not falling. Quite the collection of fatalists we have here.

This is a good short and accurate post. Q did great and even absolutely fantastic. I watched the game and was really impressed. We had some chances. Alexei totally screwed up that bunt. He knew it and it hurt to see the disappointment on his face. Crain just had to get that pitch in a little more. It made no difference whether it was a righty or lefty pitcher against switch hitting Swisher. Better average from the right side and more power from the left. I think I would take Crain there too. I think what hurt the most was losing the game to SWISHER. It is a long season and things will even out

Here is a question for the trade everyone and rebuild crowd, after 4 consecutive losses, something I am sure no playoff team will do in 2013. What if the Sox had drafted Mike Trout instead of Mitchell, he was available. Would there then had been chances of this sustained success you are searching for that you claim can only be accomplished by being really bad for a long time have been possible? I am sure someonw would reply Trout would probably suck if he were a White Sox, but if that is your answer, and you want to totally rebuild, you will be outing yourself as someone who just likes to complain, and would rather complain about the Sox than watch them win.

Edited by Dick Allen