NBA Thread 2013-2014

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
They'd be the favorites again next year. Duncan still plays like he's 30. Why not go for it again?

edit: looks like everyone but Diaw is signed for next year. 2015-2016 is the more logical breaking point. Everyone would have to re-up and Kawhi will get near max deal I would think.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/SAS.html

Here's another question, if the Spurs close it out Sunday, who gets the MVP? Has to be Leonard at this point right?

Easily. And I think Timmy s done if they win.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
So where are the people that complain about not watching the NBA because it's "an iso game" now? Are they the biggest spurs fans in the world or can we just call that b.s. at this point.

Whenever people make that complaint it is laughable and it has been for a long time.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 09:33 AM)
Yes. IMO it is. When you're comparing two supposed GOAT time players, what you do on the biggest stage matters more. I think for the most part people (myself included) give Lebron a pass with Cleveland. One loss isn't a huge deal. His loss to an inferior Mavericks team, in which he failed to show up in two or three games, was inexcusable. There's an asterisk attached to last years (for Lebron's legacy), and if he loses this year it's just another hit against him.

You seem to think players showing up in big games should be equal to players showing up in regular season/opening round games. Why? If you're the best of the best, you need to show up and play your best against the best.

If you lose, you lose. LeBron shouldn't be getting knocked down a peg for losing in finals yet others get a pass for losing in conference finals. That's just silly.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
If you lose, you lose. LeBron shouldn't be getting knocked down a peg for losing in finals yet others get a pass for losing in conference finals. That's just silly.

There's only one comparison being made obviously. Jordan elevated his game on the biggest stage. His Finals MVPs are used as evidence of that. LeBron just hasn't. Simple as that.

Can't have it both ways. Fair or unfair, that's who he is compared to. And so far, he's been coming up kinda short.

I also find it laughable that now the claims are that the Spurs are just the more talented team when that was NEVER really said before. They're just very clearly getting outplayed.

The Spurs aren't necessarily the more talented team but I'd say their overall talent level is generally underrated. MIA has the two best players though and you don't often see teams with two players better than all the other team's players lose.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 13, 2014 -> 08:46 PM)
The Spurs aren't necessarily the more talented team but I'd say their overall talent level is generally underrated. MIA has the two best players though and you don't often see teams with two players better than all the other team's players lose.

The Spurs roster is fantastic. You have a great all around center in Duncan, athletic wings who can knock down shots, 8 guys in your rotation who shoot 35% from 3 or better (I'm rounding up Ginobili's %), every one they play is a threat on offense, and nearly all the guys in their rotation are multi dimensional offensive players.

And we literally just saw the Spurs beat a team with the two best players in the series when they beat the Thunder. And I'm not convinced Wade is really a better player than Duncan or Parker right now.

So regarding the draft is the order Embiid, Wiggins, Parker; Wiggins, Embiid, Parker; or Embiid, Parker Wiggins?

Personally I would take Wiggins No. 1, Parker 2 and Embiid 3. First of all, Embiid is too big a risk. Everybody says he's the next Olajuwon. I say he simply hasn't played much basketball yet and easily could regress now that he's playing against the BIG men of the NBA. Wiggins should be No. 1 because he was ordained the next great thing so he might as well fulfill his draft destiny to be No. 1. Parker should be No. 2 cause he's better than Embiid.

Comments?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 12:02 AM)
So regarding the draft is the order Embiid, Wiggins, Parker; Wiggins, Embiid, Parker; or Embiid, Parker Wiggins?

Personally I would take Wiggins No. 1, Parker 2 and Embiid 3. First of all, Embiid is too big a risk. Everybody says he's the next Olajuwon. I say he simply hasn't played much basketball yet and easily could regress now that he's playing against the BIG men of the NBA. Wiggins should be No. 1 because he was ordained the next great thing so he might as well fulfill his draft destiny to be No. 1. Parker should be No. 2 cause he's better than Embiid.

Comments?

I agree. I think that Embiid is destined to have an injury riddled career with Cleveland while Wiggins goes on to be a superstar in Philadelphia.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
Trading up to get Nik Stauskas is such a Bulls thing to do.

It is? I thought the Bulls never made moves to better their team? Bulls need a shooter, Staukas is that from what I've read. I know our resident Wolverine fans really like him.

Bulls make moves to better their team all the time. Dont know what you're talking about there. Incrementally so, but they do.

Don't trade 2 first round draft picks to take a completely one dimensional player. For the love of god dont. I'm all for trading up though.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 01:26 PM)
Bulls make moves to better their team all the time. Dont know what you're talking about there. Incrementally so, but they do.

Don't trade 2 first round draft picks to take a completely one dimensional player. For the love of god dont. I'm all for trading up though.

I agree they do, I'm just kinda mocking this board who claims such things.

I wouldn't say Nik is one dimensional, at least not from what I've read. At the very least his "one dimension", shooting, is the one dimension this team really needs a lot more of.

Don't count out Gary Harris as the guy either....You say you're all for trading up, so who would you like to trade up for? SG is the teams biggest need ATM and those 2 guys are the best SGs you're gonna get unless you somehow think they can trade up to get Parker/Wiggins/Exum.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
I'd rather keep both picks (if they don't trade them for Love or Melo) than move up unless it's for a stud. You could snag LaVine and another piece with 16 and 19.

Pretty much my thoughts (aside from I believe Lavine has himself into the lottery).

You're obviously not getting Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, or Exum. Luckily the draft is crowded. If one of those second tier players begins to fall (Randle, Vonleh, Gordon, Smart, Hood) to an area where you can trade up, I'm all for it. Hood especially, though we might get him at 16.

Harris doesn't excite me. I'd rather take a chance on two first rounders.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 15, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)
Pretty much my thoughts (aside from I believe Lavine has himself into the lottery).

You're obviously not getting Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, or Exum. Luckily the draft is crowded. If one of those second tier players begins to fall (Randle, Vonleh, Gordon, Smart, Hood) to an area where you can trade up, I'm all for it. Hood especially, though we might get him at 16.

Harris doesn't excite me. I'd rather take a chance on two first rounders.

I don't know the numbers but i thought I

read part of the reason they want to trade up is cap space.