2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
I would be quite surprised if Aiken and Kolek go 1 and 2. It would be the first time ever a HS pitcher went 1-1 correct? Say Aiken/Rondon go 1-2, it will be fascinating seeing Sox decide between Kolek/Hoffman/Beede.

There have been two prep LHP's to go #1 overall, Brien Taylor in 1991 by the Yankees and David Clyde by the Texas Rangers in 1973. A prep RHP has never gone #1 overall.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 05:26 PM)
Mentions of Trea Turner being liked by the Sox scares me. Is that scenario, Rodon, Kolek, and Beede left @ #3?

Most mentions of the Sox and Turner is that they like him more than most teams do, but no one really thinks that they will take him at #3.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 14, 2014 -> 11:43 PM)
Nope. Nothing against Burdi, but he makes more sense to a contending team that can fast-track him to the big league bullpen. He's a safe bet to provide value for his drafting team, but he is and will only be a reliever.

I have heard that some teams are thinking about trying to convert him into a SP. You can bet that if the Sox took him, he would start off in the rotation until he proved he couldn't handle it. I really think the second pick will be a prep bat that falls into their laps, but anything is possible.

Looking at second round possibilities, I think the focus will be a HS bat after getting a pitcher in the first round. I think the Sox look at Braxton Davidson, Alex Verdugo, Jackson Reetz, Michael Chavis, and Greg Deichman to see which of them slip out of the first round.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 09:29 AM)
Looking at second round possibilities, I think the focus will be a HS bat after getting a pitcher in the first round. I think the Sox look at Braxton Davidson, Alex Verdugo, Jackson Reetz, Michael Chavis, and Greg Deichman to see which of them slip out of the first round.

I would love Braxton Davidson

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Apr 15, 2014 -> 10:07 AM)
I know most people are expecting the Sox to take a pitcher at #3 but if both Kolek and Aiken are off the board at that point I'd like them to take a hard look at Alex Jackson. High school position players are always a boom or bust proposition but this kid looks like a monster in waiting.

and
. The main thing I notice is how quiet his stance and swing is, he takes a shallow stride but is still able to generate huge power. He reminds me a lot of a right-handed Joey Votto.

Jackson looks really good, put him in RF and let his bat carry him to the majors.

I'd rank the draft for the Sox this way:

1. Hoffman

2. Aiken

3. Rodon

4. Jackson

5. Kolek

6. Beede

If the Sox don't deal with Boras for Rodon (can't blame them) Jackson becomes a more viable option I think. I could see them reaching for Beede though.

I still have a strong feeling that Kolek goes 1-1. Just speculation on my part, but a local kid with a big fastball, the first prep rhp to go 1-1, and the likelihood of a hometown discount so that Lunhow can spread more money through the draft, make me think he will be the pick. What the Marlins would do, I have no idea, Rodon may seem like a strong piece for the rotation with Fernandez, Heaney, and Alvarez, and would be ready to help in the same window as the others that are already there.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Good write up. I just want Rodon off the board when the Sox pick. Don't want to deal with that Boras factor along with his uneven performance this year.

I really do agree. Not that I would be upset if they took him, but there's a lot going on with him that could cause potential headaches. I'm guessing the Sox top 3 right now is Hoffman, Kolek, and Rodon, though that's mere speculation on my part, so if Hoffman and Kolek go 1-2, they'll really have no choice but to go with Rodon, get him signed, and deal with any other potential headaches later on.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 08:31 AM)
I really do agree. Not that I would be upset if they took him, but there's a lot going on with him that could cause potential headaches. I'm guessing the Sox top 3 right now is Hoffman, Kolek, and Rodon, though that's mere speculation on my part, so if Hoffman and Kolek go 1-2, they'll really have no choice but to go with Rodon, get him signed, and deal with any other potential headaches later on.

I think Aiken has to be in there. I think he's a lock to be drafted in the first two picks. If he falls to three, I hope the Sox jump all over him.

Ideally to me, Rodon goes 1-1 like he was suppose to, Miami takes one of the high schoolers, then the Sox have a choice between Hoffman or Aiken/Kolek. I am veryyyy interested to see them make that decision.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 09:07 AM)
I think Aiken has to be in there. I think he's a lock to be drafted in the first two picks. If he falls to three, I hope the Sox jump all over him.

Ideally to me, Rodon goes 1-1 like he was suppose to, Miami takes one of the high schoolers, then the Sox have a choice between Hoffman or Aiken/Kolek. I am veryyyy interested to see them make that decision.

There is always a possibility that there is a wildcard that jumps into the mix ahead of the Sox as well. Just throwing this out there, but Aaron Nola is putting together a pretty impressive season and his older brother is in the Marlins organization. The baseball draft is so hard to predict because so many scouts see different things in different players and are looking for different attributes to fit their system or ballpark. There are going to be some really good options on the board when the Sox pick.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 16, 2014 -> 10:02 AM)
Jackson looks really good, put him in RF and let his bat carry him to the majors.

I'd rank the draft for the Sox this way:

1. Hoffman

2. Aiken

3. Rodon

4. Jackson

5. Kolek

6. Beede

If the Sox don't deal with Boras for Rodon (can't blame them) Jackson becomes a more viable option I think. I could see them reaching for Beede though.

You can bet the house that the Sox will not take a HS bat with this pick.

New ESPN Draft blog up on finding talent in unlikely places.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1516

Hawaii - Talks about Kodi Medeiros, wicked slider, probably destined for bullpen with arm slot and lack of a third pitch.

Nebraska - Jackson Reetz - “I think [Reetz] has a chance to be a very quality backstop,” an NL Central scout said. “I see two 55 [on the 20-80 scouting sale] tools in his hit and power, and he’s got one of the stronger arms of any prep catcher I’ve seen this summer or spring.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
Rodon seems to be pretty developed. I wonder if him and Boras will agree to sign for slot money if the sox promise a fast route to the majors ala chris sale.

I would hope Hahn can get creative if Rodon makes it to 3. I would do backflips if the Sox can draft Rodon. I still find it hard to believe he will make it to #3. He is the best talent in the draft.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 01:25 PM)
New ESPN Draft blog up on finding talent in unlikely places.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/post?id=1516

Hawaii - Talks about Kodi Medeiros, wicked slider, probably destined for bullpen with arm slot and lack of a third pitch.

Nebraska - Jackson Reetz - “I think [Reetz] has a chance to be a very quality backstop,” an NL Central scout said. “I see two 55 [on the 20-80 scouting sale] tools in his hit and power, and he’s got one of the stronger arms of any prep catcher I’ve seen this summer or spring.

Provided we don't get Rodon or Aiken at 1.3, this is the guy I want in Rd 2, hoping he falls to us, or that maybe we can trade up into Comp Balance round to get him. It would mirror what happened with Sale, and Danish, to a lesser extent. The rest of MLB's enslavement to conventional pitching mechanics is the market inefficiency we can exploit. But I don't know what the FO thinks of him.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:00 PM)
Provided we don't get Rodon or Aiken at 1.3, this is the guy I want in Rd 2, hoping he falls to us, or that maybe we can trade up into Comp Balance round to get him. It would mirror what happened with Sale, and Danish, to a lesser extent. The rest of MLB's enslavement to conventional pitching mechanics is the market inefficiency we can exploit. But I don't know what the FO thinks of him.

Yep. I've been all over Medeiros since December. Would love for him to be around at 44.

QUOTE (shakes @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
I would hope Hahn can get creative if Rodon makes it to 3. I would do backflips if the Sox can draft Rodon. I still find it hard to believe he will make it to #3. He is the best talent in the draft.

The idea of a quick trip to the majors is a good one, especially since the Sox did it with Sale. Maybe a 10% below slot deal to get into the majors this year? I wonder if you could get Borass to bite.

I hope the Sox stay away from Hoffman, Beede, Nola, and the other college pitchers. Outside of Rondon I don't any projection from them. I hope they draft either Aiken, Jackson or Kolek because all three players have high ceilings and can be difference makers at the highest level. This year's crop of college pitchers just screams average to me and you don't draft average in the first round.

Hopefully Reetz will be there in the second round, I have a feeling that Gatewood will be there and I think that the Sox will be able to lock him up.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Yep. I've been all over Medeiros since December. Would love for him to be around at 44.

I was wondering if this was the guy I remembered watching, and it was. Really hides the ball well. He was only around 87-90, maybe topping out at 92, but it was really deceptive and seemed to catch the hitters off guard. If I remember right, a nice slider that really had good horizontal movement, and a good change too. I'd endorse him in the 2nd.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17, 2014 -> 04:27 PM)
Steve Bernhardt ‏@Steve_Bernhardt 20h

Reports of @tylerkolek58 up to 103 mph in last few starts. Could be first HS RHP to go 1-1. #UAAllAmerica

Am I the only one who views this as kind of a bad thing?