2014 Draft class

caulfield12

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:10 AM)
So who's 1,2,4,5?

Laws Rankings are: 1. Aiken 2. Kolek 3. Rodon 4. Beede 5. Holmes 6. Hoffman. 7. Alex Jackson 8. RHP Luis Ortiz 9. SS Nick Gordon 10. HS RHP Dylan Cease.

So 8/10 are pitchers for Keith Law.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Finnegan should be closing in on the Top 10.

No idea what Law thinks of him, but I'll bet Law will say: Short, two plus pitches, destined for relief. Not that it is actually true (see Chris Sale), but I'll bet he is not high on him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:07 PM)
As of now, I'd go for his top 2 HS pitchers or the Vandy pitcher.

I'm never going to have a strong opinion on who they should take, but it would be pretty bold if they took a HS pitcher. If they think a HS kid has the best arm, and they think they can mold him into a big league pitcher over the next 3-4 years, go for it.

Or Beede. :D

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:21 AM)
Laws Rankings are: 1. Aiken 2. Kolek 3. Rodon 4. Beede 5. Holmes 6. Hoffman. 7. Alex Jackson 8. RHP Luis Ortiz 9. SS Nick Gordon 10. HS RHP Dylan Cease.

So 8/10 are pitchers for Keith Law.

Cool, thank you much.

Despite Rodon falling a bit I would be more than happy to draft him #3 as long as he would sign for #3 money. I think its possible Houston grabs the local guy in Kolek and Miami drafting Rodon which still leaves Aiken, Beede and Hoffman open for the Sox at #3. But with two months to go its likely that things could change a bit more. s***, things have changed a bit already as it is.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:27 AM)
Finnegan should be closing in on the Top 10.

Agreed, he's been good so far.

The concern with him isn't whether or not the Sox could clean up his mechanics and make him a great pitcher though, he is still going to want 1-1 money and if he doesn't get it he can still go back to school. I don't want to see them end up not signing a first rounder at all.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)
The concern with him isn't whether or not the Sox could clean up his mechanics and make him a great pitcher though, he is still going to want 1-1 money and if he doesn't get it he can still go back to school. I don't want to see them end up not signing a first rounder at all.

This can only be speculated though. Rodon hasn't been quoted as saying he insists on 1-1 money or going back to school. Ultimately only Rodon knows what he will do since it is his decision. Also, seeing as how he has had difficulties ( happens to all players at some point), if he goes back to school and doesn't sort out his pitching issues his draft position could end up being worse next year than it is this year. Choosing to go back to school would be a pretty big gamble on his part.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 03:25 PM)
Money aside, I've heard Hahn and Laumann talk about Rodon more than once and in person for both of them. They both believed, at least earlier this year, that Rodon was far and away the number one prospect for the draft class. All things considered, I don't think they'd allow him to get by if they were given the chance to draft him. That being said, he's not getting past Houston in my opinion.

The reason they are talking him up could be because they don't want the decision on whether to take him at 3 or not. I don't believe there's any way they take a Boras "client" at three. I'd be surprised if it were even an option.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)
The reason they are talking him up could be because they don't want the decision on whether to take him at 3 or not. I don't believe there's any way they take a Boras "client" at three. I'd be surprised if it were even an option.

Pre-2012 CBA, yes. But now with the post-2012 CBA bonus caps, I think it is much more likely.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)

I'm fairly certain I've never before agreed with a thing the venerable Marty has said. Until now.

In my opinion, talking up Rodon (as the unquestioned class of the draft) is all about maximizing the possibility that Houston or Miami snag him at #1 or #2. It's always appeared that the Sox will do business with a certain Mr. Boras if absolutely necessary, but greatly prefer to stay away from all of that gamesmanship whenever it can be avoided.

It's pretty obvious by this time that Rodon has just as many question marks about his "future ace" potential as 4-5 others. That being the case, it's a White Sox winner if he's off the board by #3, therefore leaving them everybody else but one (Miami's history leads me to believe that Kolek would be their likely choice at #2) when their turn arrives at #3.

If Rodon should drop to #3, the ONLY scenario where they'd draft him would be if they had a deal agreed to on-the-spot.

The Sox NEED to hit it big with this year's selection. It's crap shoot enough with projecting talent, but why would they risk a catastrophic result of a non-sign at #3 when Scott Boras is sitting at the other side of the table? Boras is the acknowledged master of applying leverage. You don't think he'd be in-their-grill about "we know you need to sign our guy?" He's had guys go back into the draft numerous times before. No thanks! With other options available at #3 who have more-or-less similar ceilings and floors as Rodon, it would be lunacy for the White Sox with the rare #3 spot in the draft to willingly sign-up for a cage match with Boras.

None of us know who they actually like the best (my own suspicion is that it's likely Hoffman, Beede, and Aiken), but I can't imagine the likelihood that Rodon ends up being drafted is any greater than 1%. Even with the new CBA bonus caps.

P.S. Outside chance they go Jackson in the first round, then go pitching prospects with the next 6-7 picks. Jackson is going to be a stud. Strike that, Jackson IS a stud.

Edited by CyAcosta41

I know Boras represents Rodon, but anyone out there know (suspect) which other likely Top Ten candidates are represented by The Evil Prince?

I suspect that Rick Hahn and company is more likely to engage with Boras than the Sox were in the KW regime, but, all things being equal, I believe that Jerry and Company will forever avoid Boras and his machinations whenever possible.

Sox need a collegiate pitcher or hitter who can contribute as early as 2016 for the rebuilding timeline to come into fruition.

High school hitters are going to be off the table...especially after what has happened with Hawkins.

Hahn's not going to spend Scherzer/Shields/Masterson money for a top of the rotation veteran, so that means draft or trade, and we don't have the pieces right now in our minor league system for that type of move.

Edited by caulfield12

You don't draft a guy because he can make it to the bigs quickly, you always draft the best player available. I agree with everyone saying that the team needs to draft a stud with this pick, but in the unlikely scenario that the team can not sign its pick the blow is not that bad because the team is guaranteed the fourth overall selection in next years draft (To go along with what I am hoping is another top ten pick).

If Rodon is there at 3 I think the team will draft him but all the college pitchers who were supposed to leading this draft class are putting up average numbers. Keith Law (Who is warming up to the Rick Han Regime) has Rodon ranked as the number 3 overall prospect in the draft behind Brady Aiken and Tyler Kolek.

I am hoping that the Sox draft Alex Jackson or Tyler Kolek, who I believe are the two best players in the draft class. Jackson is a STUD, he has finally made the move from catcher to the outfield which will allow him the opportunity to advance more quickly through the minors, plus his hit and power tools grade out to be at least a 6 to go along with his elite bat speed. Alex Jackson could be the most elite offensive prospect in the Sox farm system since Frank Thomas and that excites me. On the other hand you could be looking at the next great power pitcher to hit the scene in Tyler Kolek, who can hit triple digits with regularity and longevity thanks to his 6'6 and 250lbs frame but he also has a plus changeup and slider. If I were Rick Hahn I would be watching those guys very closely.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 10:06 PM)
You don't draft a guy because he can make it to the bigs quickly, you always draft the best player available. I agree with everyone saying that the team needs to draft a stud with this pick, but in the unlikely scenario that the team can not sign its pick the blow is not that bad because the team is guaranteed the fourth overall selection in next years draft (To go along with what I am hoping is another top ten pick).

If Rodon is there at 3 I think the team will draft him but all the college pitchers who were supposed to leading this draft class are putting up average numbers. Keith Law (Who is warming up to the Rick Han Regime) has Rodon ranked as the number 3 overall prospect in the draft behind Brady Aiken and Tyler Kolek.

I am hoping that the Sox draft Alex Jackson or Tyler Kolek, who I believe are the two best players in the draft class. Jackson is a STUD, he has finally made the move from catcher to the outfield which will allow him the opportunity to advance more quickly through the minors, plus his hit and power tools grade out to be at least a 6 to go along with his elite bat speed. Alex Jackson could be the most elite offensive prospect in the Sox farm system since Frank Thomas and that excites me. On the other hand you could be looking at the next great power pitcher to hit the scene in Tyler Kolek, who can hit triple digits with regularity and longevity thanks to his 6'6 and 250lbs frame but he also has a plus changeup and slider. If I were Rick Hahn I would be watching those guys very closely.

For the same reasons the White Sox drafted Ventura, Thomas, McDowell and Alex Fernandez.

If this Jackson kid was/is a legit catching prospect, then I would seriously consider drafting him, because that hit tool would get him to the big leagues faster at that position than any other.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
I agree with everyone saying that the team needs to draft a stud with this pick, but in the unlikely scenario that the team can not sign its pick the blow is not that bad because the team is guaranteed the fourth overall selection in next years draft (To go along with what I am hoping is another top ten pick).

Well, in my opinion, it's a horrible blow if we forego signing our top pick this year. The overall talent level of our system is definitely on the rise, but true high-ceiling talent is sorely missing. We need it and we need it as soon as possible. There isn't just one top talent available this year. There are perhaps 5-6 pitchers and maybe, MAYBE, 2-3 position players. To waste time by foregoing a true talent this year because we've got protection by the #4 pick next year makes no sense.

My point was unless we have a very firm commitment otherwise from Boras/Rodon (accepting #3 money, perhaps in return for the Sale "quick to the bigs" path), we're playing a very dangerous game potentially wasting a valuable #3 pick asset on Rodon.

As for hoping we get another top ten pick next year -- I don't. Unless we're in the top 5-6 picks, there is often very little difference in picking 8-10 and picking 18-20. I hope we have enough Big League success in 2014 to avoid a top 5-6 pick.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 03:02 PM)

Seeing how Hahn is running this ship now, I think we'll be fine with regards to Boras. Hahn has dealt with him extensivley and they're not going to "cheap out" If Rodon falls to us at three I'm sure RH will do everything to make sure we land our top 3 pick.

A future of

Sale

Johnson

Quintana

Danish

Rodon

looks like a recipe for a 6 year window to compete at the top of the league.

QUOTE (beautox @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 02:15 AM)
Seeing how Hahn is running this ship now, I think we'll be fine with regards to Boras. Hahn has dealt with him extensivley and they're not going to "cheap out" If Rodon falls to us at three I'm sure RH will do everything to make sure we land our top 3 pick.

A future of

Sale

Johnson

Quintana

Danish

Rodon

It's way too early to project Erik Johnson as a 2. Most would be pretty happy with a 3/4 guy. And no idea if Danish can stick as a starter quite yet.

And, of course, there's always the issue of John Danks to consider going forward.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)
Well, in my opinion, it's a horrible blow if we forego signing our top pick this year. The overall talent level of our system is definitely on the rise, but true high-ceiling talent is sorely missing. We need it and we need it as soon as possible. There isn't just one top talent available this year. There are perhaps 5-6 pitchers and maybe, MAYBE, 2-3 position players. To waste time by foregoing a true talent this year because we've got protection by the #4 pick next year makes no sense.

My point was unless we have a very firm commitment otherwise from Boras/Rodon (accepting #3 money, perhaps in return for the Sale "quick to the bigs" path), we're playing a very dangerous game potentially wasting a valuable #3 pick asset on Rodon.

As for hoping we get another top ten pick next year -- I don't. Unless we're in the top 5-6 picks, there is often very little difference in picking 8-10 and picking 18-20. I hope we have enough Big League success in 2014 to avoid a top 5-6 pick.

I never said that I hope that the Sox don't sign their pick, what I said was that blow isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 04:15 AM)
I never said that I hope that the Sox don't sign their pick, what I said was that blow isn't as bad as you're making it out to be.

Joshua ...

And, in return, I didn't suggest you actually hoped that they didn't sign their pick.

Rather, I thought I carefully avoided arguing with you, but concentrated on my personal opinion. Namely, the Sox have an improving, but still barely adequate farm. ... one that is sorely lacking in legit high-ceiling guys. For any team with a system like that -- e.g., the White Sox system -- I personally believe it would indeed be truly horrible to let a draft pass you by without bringing into the system, A.S.A.P. (meaning, NOW) the kind of high-ceiling talent that the #3 pick in the entire draft should bring in.

Understood that current rules provide something of a consolation prize in next year's #4 if we aren't able to sign this year's #3. Sure, that is something. And it's possible that next year's #4 could net a better player than this year's #3. But not a single person on Earth knows that answer.

What we do know, is that not signing this year's #3 means we had a chance to bring in one of the top 3 players available in the entire draft this year (and who knows, it could be the VERY TOP player based on the team's subjective analysis) and we let it get away. Not as improved overall this year as we could be. (And yes ... someone could make an argument that foregoing a high first round pick this year opens the budget for going with multiple overslot picks in later rounds ... but the viability of a strategy like that is way outside of our discussion here).

A team with a currently or perennially strong farm might consider this a glancing blow, but for a team like the White Sox, I'd be hard-pressed to consider it as anything other than a "horrible" result (even though MLB protects us against ourselves, somewhat, in the following draft).

And full-circle back to my original point: such a scenario turns from "horrible" to "inexcusable" if this happens because we decided to play ball with The Evil Prince himself, Scott Boras.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
Sox need a collegiate pitcher or hitter who can contribute as early as 2016 for the rebuilding timeline to come into fruition.

High school hitters are going to be off the table...especially after what has happened with Hawkins.

Hahn's not going to spend Scherzer/Shields/Masterson money for a top of the rotation veteran, so that means draft or trade, and we don't have the pieces right now in our minor league system for that type of move.

The Sox need to grab talent in the draft first and foremost. Projecting even a college guy into the lineup in two seasons is a means for disaster. But if you keep acquiring talent, you can go out and deal some of that talent for holes on the ML roster. Lance Broadway was drafted as a collegiate guy that had a high floor and could move through the system quickly, that did not work out.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)
For the same reasons the White Sox drafted Ventura, Thomas, McDowell and Alex Fernandez.

If this Jackson kid was/is a legit catching prospect, then I would seriously consider drafting him, because that hit tool would get him to the big leagues faster at that position than any other.

HS catchers, legit or not, do not stick at catcher with a bat like Jacksons. Their bat can not move them up as fast because of all the defensive adjustments they have to make in pro ball. Bryce Harper and Wil Myers were hs catchers that had a shot to stick but were moved so that they could advance their bats. I like Jackson as an option as a 3B, but he is probably #7 or 8 on the list.

QUOTE (beautox @ Mar 31, 2014 -> 03:15 AM)

A future of

Sale

Johnson

Quintana

Danish

Rodon

I think the Boras issues are between JR and Boras, not between KW and Boras.

This weeks stat update:

Carlos Rodon - 6 IP 4H 1R 1ER 3BB 5K

Season - 7 GS 2.09 ERA 47.1 IP 37H 24R 11ER 18BB 55K

Tyler Beede - 5 IP 5H 3R 3ER 3BB 4K

Season - 7 GS 2.47 ERA 40 IP 25H 20R 11ER 14BB 46K

Jeff Hoffman - 7 IP 6H 2R 2ER 1BB 6K

Season - 7 GS 3.80 ERA 45IP 35H 22R 19ER 18BB 45K

Sean Newcomb - 7 IP 0H 0R 0ER 4BB 8K

Season - 6 GS 0.00 ERA 39.2IP 14H 1R 0ER 19BB 46K

Brady Aiken struck out 10 in 5IP in his start last week.