2014 Draft class

caulfield12

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 28, 2014 -> 09:56 PM)
Who is Seth Lasko?

His twitter says that he lives in Charlotte and works for both the Knights and the Checkers (Hockey). Looks like he used to work for NESN and the Boston Globe. So I guess it wouldn't be completely unheard of for him to have some industry connections.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 29, 2014 -> 06:46 AM)
His twitter says that he lives in Charlotte and works for both the Knights and the Checkers (Hockey). Looks like he used to work for NESN and the Boston Globe. So I guess it wouldn't be completely unheard of for him to have some industry connections.

No, he doesn't work for the Knights, he is a reporter with the Charlotte paper and he reports on the Knights and other Charlotte beats.

Much as I like his list, I doubt his "industry source" (note phrasing) is any more reliable than any of the other pundits we've seen.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:05 AM)
No, he doesn't work for the Knights, he is a reporter with the Charlotte paper and he reports on the Knights and other Charlotte beats.

Much as I like his list, I doubt his "industry source" (note phrasing) is any more reliable than any of the other pundits we've seen.

The Sox have literally 0 incentive to give out their list to anybody.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 28, 2014 -> 10:56 PM)
Who is Seth Lasko?

Up until a couple days ago, I read his name like that too. It's actually Lakso.

Well, we'll know the number 3 pick in about....mmmm....178 hours.

On a podcast last week, Jason Parks said that as of that day, he'd prefer Nola over Kolek, citing two primary reasons:

1. People assume too much that it's a given that someone as raw as Kolek can develop the "pitchability" to become a frontline starter

2. People are underrating the quality of Nola's stuff -- touches 96, sits 93/94 and has three good pitches

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:10 AM)
The Sox have literally 0 incentive to give out their list to anybody.

It doesn't mean he didn't run across a scout who has some inside knowledge. So far the guy has been perfect with anything to do with the minors, which makes sense. My feeling is that we aren't going to get this info from anyone in Chicago. They are too busy protecting sources to actually report something. A guy like this who has nothing to lose, is a perfect place for info like this to come from.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:38 AM)
On a podcast last week, Jason Parks said that as of that day, he'd prefer Nola over Kolek, citing two primary reasons:

1. People assume too much that it's a given that someone as raw as Kolek can develop the "pitchability" to become a frontline starter

2. People are underrating the quality of Nola's stuff -- touches 96, sits 93/94 and has three good pitches

I wouldn't be opposed to Nola at #3 if Aiken and Rodon are gone and he signs underslot. Nola appears to be a safe bet on at least being a mid-rotation starter in a couple years, which would coincide nicely with our current core of players.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southside hitman @ May 29, 2014 -> 08:17 AM)
I wouldn't be opposed to Nola at #3 if Aiken and Rodon are gone and he signs underslot. Nola appears to be a safe bet on at least being a mid-rotation starter in a couple years, which would coincide nicely with our current core of player.

I agree. I'm cooling on Kolek and the more I read, the more I think that both Aiken and Rodon will be gone by 3. Unfortunately, I think Kolek is TJ surgery waiting to happen. If Nola were available underslot, I would rather take him and still end up with a pitcher that has stellar command and 3 good offerings and then spend more on the next several picks.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but after this season, where "obvious TJ candidate" Chris Sale is still healthy and 60 pitchers whom were not tagged with that label are under the knife, that part seems kind of meaningless to me.

I'm more cool on Kolek because I just worry he won't really develop anything and end up in the pen.

It's worthwhile to remember we were willing to commit around $150 million or so to Tanaka, at least $125-135 million.

Young and potential ace >>> Solid #3 starter.

At least out of that position in the draft.

That said, if you can project him as "undervalued" and having many similarities with Wacha, that's one thing. The problem is that if you pick him THAT high, you better be able to save a ton of money to use later in the draft or you're not exploiting any advantage at all. It's when you get a Wacha at 19 that you're really "stealing" someone out from underneath everyone.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
I hate to beat a dead horse, but after this season, where "obvious TJ candidate" Chris Sale is still healthy and 60 pitchers whom were not tagged with that label are under the knife, that part seems kind of meaningless to me.

I'm more cool on Kolek because I just worry he won't really develop anything and end up in the pen.

Sale also isn't an 18 year old that throws 103.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:16 AM)
It doesn't mean he didn't run across a scout who has some inside knowledge. So far the guy has been perfect with anything to do with the minors, which makes sense. My feeling is that we aren't going to get this info from anyone in Chicago. They are too busy protecting sources to actually report something. A guy like this who has nothing to lose, is a perfect place for info like this to come from.

But then that's assuming that scout had given him accurate knowledge as well. The Sox could well be telling different scouts different things to throw people off. It matters less in baseball than in the NFL or, to lesser extents, the NHL and NBA, but that still doesn't mean you want people to have intimate knowledge of your draft plans.

Basically, I don't doubt nor believe his list either way.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 29, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
Sale also isn't an 18 year old that throws 103.

Yeah he was a really young pitcher that relied on sliders and horrible mechanics.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:53 AM)
I was starting to warm to the idea of Kolek until I saw the Brad Penny comp. If Aikens gone, I say Jackson or Hoffman at #11 slot money.

I like the idea of being able to go way over slot for pretty much every pick for the rest of the draft, but Hoffman is a scary idea. I suppose Giolito worked out for the Nats though.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:27 AM)
I agree. I'm cooling on Kolek and the more I read, the more I think that both Aiken and Rodon will be gone by 3. Unfortunately, I think Kolek is TJ surgery waiting to happen. If Nola were available underslot, I would rather take him and still end up with a pitcher that has stellar command and 3 good offerings and then spend more on the next several picks.

There is nothing in his history to suggest this.

QUOTE (oneofthemikes @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
I like the idea of being able to go way over slot for pretty much every pick for the rest of the draft, but Hoffman is a scary idea. I suppose Giolito worked out for the Nats though.

Giolito was the 16th pick though. You can take risks in that range of the draft. At 3, you really want to make sure you hit on someone.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
Yeah he was a really young pitcher that relied on sliders and horrible mechanics.

To me every pitcher is TJ waiting to happen. I really try not to use "he's more likely to get hurt" as an argument to why I wouldn't draft a pitcher, you just never know.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
But then that's assuming that scout had given him accurate knowledge as well. The Sox could well be telling different scouts different things to throw people off. It matters less in baseball than in the NFL or, to lesser extents, the NHL and NBA, but that still doesn't mean you want people to have intimate knowledge of your draft plans.

Basically, I don't doubt nor believe his list either way.

A scout in Charlotte is more likely to have two things... Knowledge of the White Sox organization, and first hand accounts of scouting these players. Lakso didn't have to have a question asked or answered to hear someone talking about who the Sox are looking at, while in the pressbox thinking that no one is listening.

It could also be a complete misdirection. There is no way of knowing for sure, but I like this source better than many.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 29, 2014 -> 09:15 AM)
A scout in Charlotte is more likely to have two things... Knowledge of the White Sox organization, and first hand accounts of scouting these players. Lakso didn't have to have a question asked or answered to hear someone talking about who the Sox are looking at, while in the pressbox thinking that no one is listening.

It could also be a complete misdirection. There is no way of knowing for sure, but I like this source better than many.

Or, he simply knows a lot of scouts and was spitballing to see if any of them would go "off the record" with what they've heard the White Sox were going to do...OR, they deliberately are putting bad information out there to throw other teams off, although having Nola in the Top 4-5 corresponds to a lot of independent reports out there recently.

In the beginning, we always heard they weren't as high on Kolek, but then a lot of contrary accounts have been introduced.

What was Bowden's draft (ESPN Insider)?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 29, 2014 -> 10:04 AM)
Giolito was the 16th pick though. You can take risks in that range of the draft. At 3, you really want to make sure you hit on someone.

Thats true, but I am not sure there is a sure thing out there. But there are some pretty big red flags on all the pitchers the Sox will likely have available at 3. Rodon is said to have reliever level control and struggles to pitch off his fastball, Kolek's frame is a concern as well as his lack of a plus secondary offering, Nola has concerns about his arm slot and ceiling, Hoffman obviously has the injury concern now, Holmes is thought to be physically maxed out. Jackson seems to be the consensus best bat in the draft, so I would roll the dice on him at a full slot rate especially since he has a pretty highly thought of hit tool, which is something that the OF's in the system seriously lack. I would be more inclined to take Hoffman than any of the rest IF he would sign for what he is projected to get from the BJ's at the 11th pick. That would allow the Sox to have an additional $3M dollars to go over slot throughout the draft, which would essentially allow then to go over slot in rounds 2 and three to sign guys that slip and sign guys like Octavio Rodriguez that they drafted late last season.