Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
Actually making the playoffs one of these years could really help them in that effort.

Hopefully that urgency to make the playoffs leads them to overpay for one of Ramirez, De Aza, Rios, or Lindstrom really soon!

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 03:16 PM)
I dont think Stanton is getting dealt. I am not sure that MLB wouldn't stop such a move given the condition of that franchise.

I don't think he's getting dealt this season, but there's little chance he doesn't get traded eventually. The Marlins can try to extend him, but he's been so publicly against staying with them long term that he would likely refuse any reasonable deal -- and there's no way the MLB would force the Marlins to hold him until he walks.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 03:43 PM)
I don't think he's getting dealt this season, but there's little chance he doesn't get traded eventually. The Marlins can try to extend him, but he's been so publicly against staying with them long term that he would likely refuse any reasonable deal -- and there's no way the MLB would force the Marlins to hold him until he walks.

No they wont force them to give him up for no return, but the roster turnstile they have had down there is affecting the value of the franchise. Hes not a free agent for 4 more years though, and from what I have read, the Marlins feel they can be competitive really soon with the current roster. They need upgrades at 2B and 3B (depending how long Moran takes), other than that their roster is pretty stacked with young talent. It will probably take them a couple seasons before they are clicking on all cylinders, but they will be a competitve before Stanton hits FA.

If they do move him, it will probably be for an elite LHSP to anchor their rotation (Baumgarner or Sale type) with Fernandez, not a package of prospects.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)
Joel Sherman ‏@Joelsherman1 2h

B4 traded for Soriano #Yankees checked in with #chisox on Rios were told on his no-trade and would not waive it so moved to #Cubs Soriano

https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1

That's fine. Trade him somewhere else that he doesn't have a say in it. Rangers & Pirates seem most logical fit.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
Only a matter of time before Texas concedes and trades for Rios. Terrible offense and Cruz had some issues in the OF today(not to mention suspension).

Agreed. Hahn is just waiting for them to overpay and possibly take Dunn.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 01:51 AM)
Nice to see Pirates struggling again offensively

Fathom, you know your baseball ... am I out of line in thinking Rios will attract nothing of value? Why would Texas want a guy who can't catch a deep drive in right field and is hitting .276. with 12 homers and 49 RBIs? Also 21 stolen bases which I guess is above average to give him credit there. What is so good about Rios that Texas would NEED him? His numbers do not scream, 'all-star.'

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:12 PM)
Fathom, you know your baseball ... am I out of line in thinking Rios will attract nothing of value? Why would Texas want a guy who can't catch a deep drive in right field and is hitting .276. with 12 homers and 49 RBIs? Also 21 stolen bases which I guess is above average to give him credit there. What is so good about Rios that Texas would NEED him? His numbers do not scream, 'all-star.'

I think you're a little off base, but it may very well be that Rios doesn't attract the kind of talent we're hoping for.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:12 PM)

Bringing up his fantasy rank is a little weak but it'll give you a better idea of how he stacks up to other outfielders...Rios is the 19th ranked outfielder in the whole league. 16th over the last 14 days, and 2nd for over the last 7....He can do a lot of things for a team like Texas who is in a pennant race and will have lost 1 or maybe 2 hitters for the rest of the season.....They aren't gonna get the Stantons or the Bautistas or the Encarnacions like they want so Rios is the next best thing...If they don't acquire another bat they are basically waiving a white flag for this season. Rios very well could be the best bat available. You're just to hung up on this TWTW and money BS to realize it.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 26, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)
.279 with 49 RBI 21SB 12 HR and 20+ doubles is nothing to scoff at.

If we don't get something good, keep him.

Personally, I hope he gets traded.

Those are good numbers. Put him 5th in that Rangers line up and its scary. Plus, the trade rumors are really getting to him. If you read Dan Hayes article, Rios mentions that he just wants August 1st to come.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
Jon Heyman tweeted, "Rios atop of Rangers OF list for today, Texas may wait on Pence and Stanton."

I think Pence would like to stay in SF, but if they keep losing, I could see SF trading him.

I posted the article. He also mentions that Sox and Rangers aren't close. We kind of knew that though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 27, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
I posted the article. He also mentions that Sox and Rangers aren't close. We kind of knew that though.

Yeah I could see that, still got 4 days left. I think the only player out of the Rangers list that is far fetched is Pence that could be available. Rangers keep losing, those players don't become available, Rangers will overpay for Rios.