Rios, $1M traded to Rangers

PolishPrince34

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:33 PM)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1384997...-this-offseason

Garcia was listed as top 5 prospects to be traded last offseason.

I note how they say he should reach the majors before the end of the 2014 season and he's already there. He's been very aggressively pushed upwards and his numbers have improved as it's happened (although, needs to cut down on the strikeouts to really take advantage of his speed).

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:41 PM)
Do we know for sure that we are getting this Leury Garcia dude as the ptbnl ??

No, we don't know for sure, but MLB writers have said he is the likely guy and he was initially reported as the actual return in the trade.

It's possible the Sox could decide they don't want him later and take cash or another player perhaps, i.e. if he gets hurt at some point.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:41 PM)
Do we know for sure that we are getting this Leury Garcia dude as the ptbnl ??

Yes unless you want to wait for the official release.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
Interesting. For all we know, Texas will try to trade him this winter or at next year's trade deadline just as the Sox would have tried to do. If he's ever going to have a career year it'd be next year cause he'll be playing for a contract. I won't second guess Hahn on this one. He's gone. Sox got a decent prospect and got rid of all that money.

There is that 2015 club option in his deal, so if he does have a great or very good season, Texas simply extends him at basically the same money he's been making over the last 2-3 seasons.

QUOTE (Mr. Showtime @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
What does Keith Law say about this deal? Then we can all decide whether this was good for the team or not.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 6m Utility infielder. "@Kaufmak: @keithlaw Leury Garcia?"

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2854992:date=Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:40 PM:name=Mr. Showtime)-->
<!--quotec-->What does Keith Law say about this deal? Then we can all decide whether this was good for the team or not.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8">

What does Law say about Iglesias?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)
Exactly where A. Garcia was before today.

In my ideal world, I send him to the AFL, I keep him in big league camp until the last guy, and I spend the winter taking offers on Alexei. If no offers are satisfactory, I send him to Charlotte to start the year (there is zero harm in sending a 23 year old wtih less than 700 PA's above A ball to Charlotte for 2 months).

L. Garcia immediately pencils in as the backup for every position in the IF and CF and hopefully can hold those down.

If Alexei isn't moved for a good deal in the offseason, semien's job for next year then becomes "hit so well that you force us to take a crappy return on Alexei in order to bring you up".

So basically Garcia is a more dynamic/athletic version of Pablo Ozuna with the ability to play SS at the big league level but a less well-defined hit tool??

Well, ALMOST anything's better than watching Angel Sanchez or Tyler Greene or random 30+ journeyman/fill-in-the-blank, right?

Anything that injects a little energy and enthusiasm into the clubhouse and onto the field...it's exactly what we need to get away from our plodding, station to station mentality of the last 10-15 years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
What does Law say about Iglesias?

No. 45: Shortstop Jose Iglesias: Law calls the 21-year-old Iglesias the best defensive shortstop prospect he has ever seen. “He's not the fastest or most athletic,” writes Law, “but he's the one most able to make plays and to take difficult plays and make them look routine.” More from Law, on Iglesas’ offensive potential: “Iglesias' swing is direct with good bat speed, and he has a little pop when he gets his arms extended, although in Fenway that probably will mean lots of doubles off the Monster but few home runs. He needs to avoid barring his lead arm, and so far he hasn't shown much patience although he has shown he can make a lot of contact. If he can draw 50 walks a year or hit .300 regularly, he's an All-Star, and if not, he's still an above-average regular because of the potential value of his defense.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/pos...p-100-prospects

***from 2011, BTW

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:46 PM)
So basically Garcia is a more dynamic/athletic version of Pablo Ozuna with the ability to play SS at the big league level but a less well-defined hit tool??

Well, anything's better than watching Angel Sanchez or Tyler Greene or random 30+ journeyman/fill-in-the-blank, right?

Anything that injects a little energy and enthusiasm into the clubhouse and onto the field...it's exactly what we need to get away from our plodding, station to station mentality of the last 10-15 years.

If you're looking at comps who have played for the White sox, yeah non-steroid-06-Ozuna might work also, except with better defense and a much better arm.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
No. 45: Shortstop Jose Iglesias: Law calls the 21-year-old Iglesias the best defensive shortstop prospect he has ever seen. “He's not the fastest or most athletic,” writes Law, “but he's the one most able to make plays and to take difficult plays and make them look routine.” More from Law, on Iglesas’ offensive potential: “Iglesias' swing is direct with good bat speed, and he has a little pop when he gets his arms extended, although in Fenway that probably will mean lots of doubles off the Monster but few home runs. He needs to avoid barring his lead arm, and so far he hasn't shown much patience although he has shown he can make a lot of contact. If he can draw 50 walks a year or hit .300 regularly, he's an All-Star, and if not, he's still an above-average regular because of the potential value of his defense.”

yeah, that's about what I thought.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:48 PM)

***from 2011, BTW

Yeah he sure as hell cant hit .300 regularly

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:51 PM)
I would say at this point it is a lock.

Well... we get a minimum utility infielder and at best a guy who can eventually earn his way as a starting infielder. Not to mention we dump 13 million in salary? Yea... i'm okay with this move. Time to start preparing for the future.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2854992:date=Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:40 PM:name=Mr. Showtime)-->
<!--quotec-->What does Keith Law say about this deal? Then we can all decide whether this was good for the team or not.

keithlaw ‏@keithlaw 6m Utility infielder. "@Kaufmak: @keithlaw Leury Garcia?"

I was hoping for something funnier.

L. Garcia played in the bigs this year already. Should Sox dump Lexi now and have both Garcia's in the lineup the rest of the way? That'd be quite a switch already. Two of the eight position players replaced in the same season with young guys. That's 2/8 of the rebuild already done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:48 PM)
If you're looking at comps who have played for the White sox, yeah non-steroid-06-Ozuna might work also, except with better defense and a much better arm.

A tiny, defense-first switch-hitter with plus speed, Dominican Leury Garcia is a young shortstop prospect buried a bit too deep in a Ranger system that has no shortage of such players. While his adeptness with the bat remains in question, scouts all agree that his defense is top-notch in glovework, range and arm strength. Unfortunately, even if his bat does come along, he's still destined to be no more than trade bait or bench depth in a Ranger system that really doesn't need him.

found this via a quick search at scoutingbook.com

So....

1) The writing might very well be on the wall with the Alexei Ramirez Era

2) Beckham more than likely WON'T be shifted as an experiment to SS

3) Avisail Garcia goes to his more natural position of RF

4) Semien ends up being the top minor league candidate at either 2B/3B but not probably not SS

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 03:55 PM)
L. Garcia played in the bigs this year already. Should Sox dump Lexi now and have both Garcia's in the lineup the rest of the way? That'd be quite a switch already. Two of the eight position players replaced in the same season with young guys. That's 2/8 of the rebuild already done.

The Sox may not have Garcia on their roster the rest of the way. He's likely a PTBNL because he's already on Texas's major league roster. He'll have to pass through waivers to the Sox to be traded. It's possible the Astros could be nice and just let him through, we don't know yet.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
Man, I can't get excited about this.

We have Rios's replacement sitting in Charlotte (actually they had his plane ticket purchased this morning) and we save money and get a decent SS prospect. Pretty damn good

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:49 PM)
yeah, that's about what I thought.

You have to take this in context - he was a 20 year old who started his career at High-A going 14 for 40 with 2 triples, 2 doubles, and 7 walks. He got promoted to AA and proceeded to hit .285. Again, prior to the 2011 season. His true hit tool began to surface the following year when he put up a .554 OPS over the course of the full AAA season.

I think he has a fascination with him, but I don't think that shows bias.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 01:55 PM)

Greg, don't get TOO excited yet.

This particular Garcia's much more likely to end up a super utility, jack of all trades, Ozuna/Grebeck type of player for us than a legit starter.

Of course, they said the same things about Alexei when he was signed...or even that he might factor in as a CFer, as you remember.

The main thing this does is pave the way for the Avisail Garcia Era to begin in RF and it makes it MUCH more unlikely that Gordon Beckham is going to be shifted to SS as a late season experiment (assuming Alexei is the next domino to fall...)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 9, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
1) The writing might very well be on the wall with the Alexei Ramirez Era

I doubt this leads to any grand conclusions about anything, but we're more just in search of fortifying the wilting flower that has been our system. We're basically getting guys that can pass for real guys who belong somewhere in the top 15 of a real team's farm system.

I mean, as much as I love having an Andy Wilkins be a top 15 prospect and all............

Edited by Jose Paniagua