2014 Cubs Catch-All Thread

cabiness42

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 06:53 AM)
Interesting how Lester signed for less money from the cubs and passed on more money from the world series champion Giants.

I suppose Theo and Lester are pretty tight after all.

Higher annual amount per year with the Cubs, as well as the non-California income tax factor.

Buster OlneyVerified account

‏@Buster_ESPN

CHC intention is to continue to build the team with more around Lester. If they didn't sign him, would take a more conservative route.

Interesting that both Chicago teams are going for it so quickly after what we just saw in 2014.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:09 AM)
Max will get way more

With Lester off the market, I can see how that would be to Scherzer's advantage, but if you're a team looking to sign a big name starter, is Scherzer that much of a better option than Lester?

Lester was actually better last year and if you ask me, his mechanics are a lot cleaner, meaning he should be able to actually maintain his form for the majority of his contract. I'm not sure if I can say the same for Scherzer.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:08 AM)
I wonder what kind of contract Shields will get.

We all know Scherzer will get similar, if not more, money than Lester.

The most recent rumors say Scherzer is looking for a 200M deal. I think Scherzer comes in at 30M annually, Lester at 25-26M annually, Shields should get around 20M annually. I'd guess Samardzija comes in around 18-22M annully

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 10, 2014 -> 01:39 AM)
Soler, Coghlan....to be announced

I think we'll start hearing that they're interested in Zobrist or CarGo pretty soon

Can't believe I forgot about Soler. Maybe I just assumed he'd be injured or they would be treating him with kid gloves, but he was as impressive as Baez was a disappointment last year.

Alcantara's kind of in the same boat as Semien. Is he a CFer? A 2B? SS? 3B? Trade bait? Insurance for moving Bryant to LF or RF so he could play 3rd, or Baez there (with Russell/Castro up the middle)?