With Abreu Signing; Konerko Not Out

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 02:14 AM)
He still hit lefties well. He's still a great fielder. There are arguments to keep going (if healthy).

This has been debated over and over. I think everyone (at least most everyone) can agree that Konerko is not a great fielder. He does not have good range, and that has only gotten worse as he's aged and has been hurt. His greatest asset as a first baseman is his ability to pick badly thrown baseballs. Granted, that's a needed skill, but that's far from what would make him a great fielder. Adam Dunn played a lot more first base than he had in the past because he was better at that position than Konerko was in 2013. Think about that.

I love Paulie, but unless he signs a very minor deal to come back as a bench player and (very) occasional spot starter, he will not be back.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Matt Spiegel ‏@MattSpiegel670 3m

When asked if Sox roster could handle three 1B/DH types, Hahn told us not to project based on today. Dunn gone somehow? Or Konerko retiring?

Yeah, didn't take it this way at all. More like, he's not coming back, but we don't feel like creating a media s*** storm today.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
Beckham gets married today, so I would assume Konerko, Ventura, and Hahn are in the same place to talk. I would bet a Konerko decision is coming soon. GM meetings this week as well.

I think a Konerko decision was made the day we signed Abreu. Dunn is the better player right now (plus left-handed) and there is simply no room for Paulie on a 4 man bench. And you know Robin would give Konerko a decent amount of playing time at the expense of Abreu. In all honestly, bringing him back doesn't make any sense and I'm sure Hahn agrees.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)
I think a Konerko decision was made the day we signed Abreu. Dunn is the better player right now (plus left-handed) and there is simply no room for Paulie on a 4 man bench. And you know Robin would give Konerko a decent amount of playing time at the expense of Abreu. In all honestly, bringing him back doesn't make any sense and I'm sure Hahn agrees.

This is spot on. I will actually be pretty upset if the Sox bring Konerko back. It's pointless. Sometimes it's just over and that time is now.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
This is spot on. I will actually be pretty upset if the Sox bring Konerko back. It's pointless. Sometimes it's just over and that time is now.

Why would you be upset? Everybody admits he can still hit lefties. It's not like Dunn is some magical bat. Let Paulie and Dunn DH if you can't trade Dunn and let Abreu DH once in a while and let Paulie play first. I'd cut Dunn's at bats in half until his contract runs out. Adam Dunn hit five homers in August and four in September. It's not like he's still raking.

I hope Abreu is a good fielder, because we've been spoiled by Paulie's digs.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)
Why would you be upset? Everybody admits he can still hit lefties. It's not like Dunn is some magical bat. Let Paulie and Dunn DH if you can't trade Dunn and let Abreu DH once in a while and let Paulie play first. I'd cut Dunn's at bats in half until his contract runs out. Adam Dunn hit five homers in August and four in September. It's not like he's still raking.

Do I need to put this in all caps for you? Konerko is done. There is no scenario in which it is a good idea to have Abreu, Dunn, and Konerko on the roster. Dunn/Konerko cannot be one of the spots on a 4 man bench. It's just stupid. Even if they traded Dunn, keeping Konerko would be dumb because they are way too RH then. Let it go, man. I enjoyed watching Paulie's career too but those days are over.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 02:22 PM)

I hope Abreu is a good fielder, because we've been spoiled by Paulie's digs.

Versus left handed starters last year Dunn had a .976 OPS. Konerko had a .807. Do you really want to keep Konerko on the roster for those thirty or so at bats Dunn has against LH reliever? Its time to move on.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 07:41 AM)

Rongey and Garfien were talking about this on WSW a little while ago. Maybe they hold off announcing anything until the winter meetings are over in December when they can see if there is any trade market for Dunn.

If they got rid of Dunn, but still had Konerko as a part-time player, I would like that because it means Dunn is gone.

But more realistically, Konerko should hang them up and Dunn should give it one last season in Chicago.

Interesting article on Gammons website here regarding the drastic decrease in power hitting. To me it adds up to Konerko getting an incentive based deal somewhere if he decides he wants to play next year.

http://www.gammonsdaily.com/mlb-power-at-t...ly-meet-demand/

Some interesting numbers from the article:

"In 2004, nine players hit 40 or more homers, led by Adrian Beltre’s 48, and including Jim Edmonds (42) and Paul Konerko (41). In all, 37 players hit 30 or more homers."

"In 2013, two players hit 40 or more homers, Chris Davis (53) and Miguel Cabrera (44). Davis and Cabrera are included in the grand total of 13 players who hit 30 or more."

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
Interesting article on Gammons website here regarding the drastic increase in power hitting. To me it adds up to Konerko getting an incentive based deal somewhere if he decides he wants to play next year.

"In 2004, nine players hit 40 or more homers, led by Adrian Beltre’s 48, and including Jim Edmonds (42) and Paul Konerko (41). In all, 37 players hit 30 or more homers."

"In 2013, two players hit 40 or more homers, Chris Davis (53) and Miguel Cabrera (44). Davis and Cabrera are included in the grand total of 13 players who hit 30 or more."

And this is why you don't give up on a guy like Viciedo yet. He has 30+ HR potential and in today's game that is rare.

Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

#WhiteSox have spoken to Paul Konerko. Sounds as if there's a spot open for him if he wants it. But he hasnt indicated his plans.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 41m

I always believed if Konerko wanted to return for '14, there would be a spot for him with the White Sox--as there should be.

I have made my thoughts on this clear. Really stupid decision in my opinion. I hope Reinsdorf is behind this move because it would make me question Rick Hahn's judgment.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:44 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@DanHayesCSN 1h

#WhiteSox have spoken to Paul Konerko. Sounds as if there's a spot open for him if he wants it. But he hasnt indicated his plans.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 41m

I always believed if Konerko wanted to return for '14, there would be a spot for him with the White Sox--as there should be.

I have made my thoughts on this clear. Really stupid decision in my opinion. I hope Reinsdorf is behind this move because it would make me question Rick Hahn's judgment.

Would definitely be a major roster crunch to have Abreu/Dunn/Konerko all at once. Maybe they feel like we have so many versatile bench guys that they can pull it off. This could be a big year for Jordan Danks, but it means there's really no room for both Semien and L. Garcia, and I'g guess Semien is the odd man out there since Garcia can play OF -- unless we dump Keppinger.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 9, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
Interesting article on Gammons website here regarding the drastic increase in power hitting. To me it adds up to Konerko getting an incentive based deal somewhere if he decides he wants to play next year.

Drastic decrease.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 06:48 PM)
Would definitely be a major roster crunch to have Abreu/Dunn/Konerko all at once. Maybe they feel like we have so many versatile bench guys that they can pull it off. This could be a big year for Jordan Danks, but it means there's really no room for both Semien and L. Garcia, and I'g guess Semien is the odd man out there since Garcia can play OF -- unless we dump Keppinger.

Semien was never going to be on the bench. He'll either start in AAA or start for the Sox if Gillaspie or Ramirez or Beckham were dealt.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 04:57 PM)
Semien was never going to be on the bench. He'll either start in AAA or start for the Sox if Gillaspie or Ramirez or Beckham were dealt.

So 2014 bench pending a Konerko return is probably:

CA Phegley

OF Danks

IF/OF Garcia

1B Konerko

IF Keppinger

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 12, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
So 2014 bench pending a Konerko return is probably:

CA Phegley

OF Danks

IF/OF Garcia

1B Konerko

IF Keppinger

I think that's one too many, right? If they were to bring Konerko back, either Kepp is dealt or Danks is AAA unless I'm counting wrong.