Brett Gardner

GreatScott82

With about 6 outfielders in the mix for 2014, the Yankees are looking to deal Brett Gardner in exchange for starting pitching. IMO this would be a great opportunity to improve CF both defensively and offensively. One area of strength the Sox do possess is starting pitching. My question for you is what type of package would you put together for New York?

http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=10096712

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 05:10 AM)
With about 6 outfielders in the mix for 2014, the Yankees are looking to deal Brett Gardner in exchange for starting pitching. IMO this would be a great opportunity to improve CF both defensively and offensively. One area of strength the Sox do possess is starting pitching. My question for you is what type of package would you put together for New York?

Send them Keppinger and John Danks for Gardner and one of their catchers

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 08:10 AM)

I literally have no interest in picking up a 30 year old bunter, much rather play the youth

Yankees' starters

Beltran RF, Ellsbury CF, Gardner LF

Soriano DH

Ichiro and Vernon Wells as bench. Ichiro can rotate in OF as well as so you can rest Beltran, Ellsbury and Gardner. They can also rest Soriano or give McCann, Jeter and Tex time off the field occasionally as DH (McCann at 1B and Tex as DH, for example). He (Ichiro) should end up with 200-300 AB's against predominantly RH pitching and subbing in the OF/defensive replacement for Beltran in RF, etc.

There's no need for them to trade Gardner, and he's not going to get Quintana/Santiago quality starters back just for one year of contract time before free agency.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:10 AM)

Isn't he a 1 year rent?

How about no package for him.

We need those cost-controlled guys, or sign a cheap FA to play CF.

I wouldn't call our starting pitching a strength anyway. It's a strength just if you compare it to the rest of the team. If we trade any of it, for young talent, please.

Edited by GreenSox

Gardner is too expensive as a rental.

I doubt they'd take it but I'd offer them Dunn + DeAza for Ichiro + Soriano ($11.5M Yankees owe there) + prospect

Dunn could be platoon DH and DeAza is more of the 4th OF

Ichiro takes DeAza's spot in CF until we trade him, Soriano takes Dunn's spot until we trade him, Leury/Danks is the backup CF... Dayan can play at DH when a backup is in CF with Ichiro in LF, and we save money by switching to Ichiro

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 02:36 PM)
The best move for the Yankees is to move Ichiro. Their best starting option is Gardner-Ellsbury-Beltran. Lefty, lefty, switch. I was reading Philadelphia, if memory serves, was interested in bring him in. That way they can rotate DH and spelling outfielders between Wells and Soriano.

No one wants Ichiro at this point. Philly already signed Byrd anyway, they have no interest in Ichiro.

I can easily see them keeping Gardner and patch working a rotation with 1 year deals. Bedard, Colon, Oswalt, Halladay, ect....

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)

"Open to trading" and in trade talks are 2 different things. He has no power and can't even get on base at this point. He's a $6 million dollar defensive replacement and pinch runner at this point in his career. Unless the Yankees pretty much for him to go who would want him?

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
There is probably not a snowballs chance in hell that they take that deal.

Beckham + Beck + Petricka maybe.

That's way too much, Petricka + Beck I wouldn't even do for a guy we wouldn't be re-signing.

Maybe you offer Danks + Beckham for Gardner and that Sanchez guy everyone wants, then look to spin Gardner off before the season starts, otherwise you keep him if you can't find your deal & let him reject the QO. Sox could then go 3 lefty with Santiago over Danks, Johnson at the #5, Rienzo in the pen as a LR, take the $$$ savings and add a short-term veteran RH starter to hold a place for Beck & eat innings should Erik struggle too much in his first full season.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 07:59 PM)
For one season of Gardner? No thanks.

I wonder if the Yankees would be interested in John Danks? We can drop our highest paid pitcher, get an every day CF for at least one season, with a hope he would sign an extension, if not the team can flip him mid season OR claim a supplemental draft pick next year.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:48 PM)
I wonder if the Yankees would be interested in John Danks? We can drop our highest paid pitcher, get an every day CF for at least one season, with a hope he would sign an extension, if not the team can flip him mid season OR claim a supplemental draft pick next year.

I agree that Danks could be a potential fit for the Yankees, but forget the 30 year old soon to be free agent. Mason Williams and Garry Sanchez are the names Hahn should be looking at. Both could be in the majors next year (2015) and are potential impact bats. I doubt either are in the Yankees plans for the next 2 or 3 years so they could be viewed as expendable.

I could also see them liking Kepp. Plays both 2B and 3B and has a better track record than the likes of Brendan Ryan and Kelly Johnson. Danks + Kepp + Jones would be a nice package to offer the Yankees, although I'm not sure it would get us both Sanchez and Williams.

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 10:29 PM)
I agree that Danks could be a potential fit for the Yankees, but forget the 30 year old soon to be free agent. Mason Williams and Garry Sanchez are the names Hahn should be looking at. Both could be in the majors next year (2015) and are potential impact bats. I doubt either are in the Yankees plans for the next 2 or 3 years so they could be viewed as expendable.

I could also see them liking Kepp. Plays both 2B and 3B and has a better track record than the likes of Brendan Ryan and Kelly Johnson. Danks + Kepp + Jones would be a nice package to offer the Yankees, although I'm not sure it would get us both Sanchez and Williams.

Keppinger has basically negative value right now and Danks is pretty much valueless until he proves he's back to normal. The Yankees aren't giving up anything of value for those two guys, especially not a guy like Sanchez, even if we throw in Jones.

This board sure loves trading young players for rents.

I think it may be more of a misconception that it's very easy to get guys to sign extensions. I wouldn't trade for Gardner or Headley without a long term deal in place, and I can't think of a really good reason why either one would sign such a deal rather than test free agency.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Dec 8, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
He's 30 years old, and speed usually doesn't age well.

This is is said all the time but really is not true. If anything, speedy, athletic players age better than your big, 1 dimensional sluggers, but really, it's a case by case basis.