Baseball winter meetings thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
You could also say after getting time in the bigs last year and being brought back to AAA could hurt his confidence especially after thinking he has a shot of making it.. Or we could just start him at 3B but I don't think that would be the right thing to do for him

I don't view this as the case at all. He was a September call up and wasn't one of the top 25 players on the roster. They wanted to get a look at him in September to gauge where he was compared to major league pitching. He was then sent back to the AFL to compete against other minor leaguers.

I honestly think the only way he should really make the opening day roster is if he absolutely tears it up this Spring. If you send him down to start the year, it's not as big of a deal. If you start him in the majors and he struggles, you begin with question whether he was really ready or if you stick with him through the struggles, which can sometimes complicate matters.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:32 PM)
You could also say after getting time in the bigs last year and being brought back to AAA could hurt his confidence especially after thinking he has a shot of making it.. Or we could just start him at 3B but I don't think that would be the right thing to do for him

I really don't think so. The guy moved up three levels in a year, he played in the AFL, and touched the majors. He's young, this isn't a 26 year old who has played 2 years of AAA and is itching to get his only shot.

Also, just for reference here, I interviewed a couple dozen different minor leaguers this year, half in person and half over the phone. Some of them stuck out for various things. Semien came off, to me, as somewhat shy, confident but not cocky, high baseball IQ, very flexible about where the team might play him (2B, 3B, SS), and a simple, focused approach to the game. I don't see that personality type getting easily butt-hurt because he isn't in the majors permanently now. I could be wrong of course - I just don't think this is a Courtney Hawkins type personality we are talking about.

Not only was Beckham rushed to the bigs, he was also moved from one position to another early in his career. I do not like to hear someone call me an apologist. All I am doing is reviewing the facts. There are MANY major league stars who went 2,000 PA's before figuring it out. Let's see what Gordo does this year, instead of acting out the typical Chicago Bear fan backup QB scenario ...

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 02:43 PM)
I think we should block Semien with someone & make him earn a starting job. No bench, no multiple roles, no "here's the job, go ahead and lose it."

I also have no issue dealing Beckham for value & starting Keppinger at 2B since we're probably going to suck anyway. Make Semien earn the promotion, and if you have Sanchez at Charlotte too then maybe you get a nice little post-ST position battle going on to see who is going to come in & save the day at 2B.

If they are able to deal Beckham at some point this off-season and end up bring in a legit 3B (not necessarily same trade), then that guy would be Keppinger. However, I would love to move Beckham and sign Mark Ellis as that emergency guy who would give Semien competition in Spring Training if say, Keppinger and Beckham are moved.

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 09:23 PM)
A few facts about Gordon Beckham last year:

1. Beckham hit .287 vs RH pitchers, but only .195 vs LH. That is the exact opposite of what you would think.

2. Beckham broke the hamate bone in his wrist after the first 7 games of the season. He missed six weeks, came back and through July 22nd had his average well over .300. On that date he re injured the wrist, tearing the ligament away from the bone. He continued to play the rest of the year, but hit .240 in August and a lowly .210 in September.

When RV says he was hurt, he is not kidding. I think we need to give this kid a break. If his wrist has healed, there is no reason why he cannot be an above average 2B offensively - better than Semien - and certainly he is already an "A" defensively. There is little doubt in my mind that the Sox are going to commit to him unless somebody knocks them off their feet with an offer.

Agree with you 100%. I want to see Gordo with this team

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 12, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
A few facts about Gordon Beckham last year:

1. Beckham hit .287 vs RH pitchers, but only .195 vs LH. That is the exact opposite of what you would think.

2. Beckham broke the hamate bone in his wrist after the first 7 games of the season. He missed six weeks, came back and through July 22nd had his average well over .300. On that date he re injured the wrist, tearing the ligament away from the bone. He continued to play the rest of the year, but hit .240 in August and a lowly .210 in September.

When RV says he was hurt, he is not kidding. I think we need to give this kid a break. If his wrist has healed, there is no reason why he cannot be an above average 2B offensively - better than Semien - and certainly he is already an "A" defensively. There is little doubt in my mind that the Sox are going to commit to him unless somebody knocks them off their feet with an offer.

I don't see where anyone else has said it...but I strongly disagree with the notion that Beckham is an "A" defensively. He's a C right now after being a B the year before hand.

Semien hasn't done enough to suggest he's MLB ready. He did good in AAA, but not nearly similar enough to his AA numbers and was basically s***ty in the MLB in terms of his ability to work a count. AA - almost 1:1 BB:K AAA - 1:2 BB:K MLB 1:30 BB:K

That just screams to me that he needs more time in AAA.

Beckham had a pretty respectable season last year despite missing a bunch of time when he was injured. You trade him if you get a package that improves the club today, by not to clear out the position. I agree that this season is probably his last chance to put it all together here and I think it helps you keep Semien, Garcia, and Sanchez in AAA for at least half the season to get them at bats, develop them, and hold down their service time. If Beckham breaks out this season, as some think he may, you can move it at the deadline for a pretty good haul and bring up whoever from AAA is most ready to fill that spot on an everyday basis.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)
Beckham is a below-average Major League player. He is not worthless, but he is absolutely NOT someone that should block anyone promising. He's had plenty of time to show us what he is, and the result is a guy that should be discarded when something better comes along.

Agreed 100%. I don't know if it's the hair or looks that have people mesmerized, but it certainly can't be the play.

I have absolutely no problem giving Beckham one more year. I wanna see if the injury was a legit excuse for him tailing off at the end of the year or not. Make no mistake, he was good to start the year, if they can get what they got out of him in June and July we're talking about an above average 2nd baseman. If the power comes back with the average and obp he was putting up he very well could be a top 10 2B.

The 2014 season is gonna be a year full of ifs anyway so why not throw out a guy who was hitting .335/.357/.443 before the all star break.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 02:25 AM)
I don't see where anyone else has said it...but I strongly disagree with the notion that Beckham is an "A" defensively. He's a C right now after being a B the year before hand.

Balta, Gordon is rated as one of the better 2B defenders in the league

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 11:56 AM)
Balta, Gordon is rated as one of the better 2B defenders in the league

Not to steal baltas argument here, but I'm on fangraphs now anyway and have the stats handy so I'll jump in. You are inncorrect, at least from an analytical stand point, of 21 2B who play 850+ innings, Gordon ranked 13th. Last year, using the same innings limit he ranked 12th of 22, year before that he ranked 11th, year before 14th.....So once again, at least from an analytical stand point, he's always be a "C" type defender.

If the ifs I spoke of in my previous post come to fruition, I have no problem with a "C" defender out there.