Sox acquire Adam Eaton from ARZ, deal Santiago, Jacobs

Baron

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 05:41 PM)
So I haven't listened to the interview, why is he cocky?

In the interview he matter-of-factly states how he has been doubted every step in his career and he proves everyone wrong. How in rookie ball he told everyone he would hit .350, they laughed at him, and then he hit .380. He doesn't come off as a jerk about it, he just seems very very confident in himself, which may or may not be a bad thing. Obviously it was not a great thing for Beckham.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I don't know if Eaton can sustain Lofton's numbers through a 17 year career but that is a good comparison for Eaton if all goes well.

Expecting Abreu to become the best hitter on earth is a stretch. I think a better comparison, while not perfect, would be a Billy Butler with more power and a little less AVG/OBP.

I give Avisail Garcia the wait-and-see approach. The Magglio the Sox had from '99-'04 would be a perennial MVP candidate today. I've always liked the Juan Encarnacion comparisons as the most likely. If Garcia went .275/.320/.440 with 19 HRs and 70 RBIs I would be very happy.

This would not be good. I'm not sure who to compare him to, but he has to be better than Encarnacion.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
I don't know if Eaton can sustain Lofton's numbers through a 17 year career but that is a good comparison for Eaton if all goes well.

Expecting Abreu to become the best hitter on earth is a stretch. I think a better comparison, while not perfect, would be a Billy Butler with more power and a little less AVG/OBP.

I give Avisail Garcia the wait-and-see approach. The Magglio the Sox had from '99-'04 would be a perennial MVP candidate today. I've always liked the Juan Encarnacion comparisons as the most likely. If Garcia went .275/.320/.440 with 19 HRs and 70 RBIs I would be very happy.

You aren't going to see guys putting up Magglio type numbers like you did during the steroid era. If Garcia does that now, he will be battling Cabrera for the triple crown.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
Don't think my earlier post will truly come to fruition, I'm just merely having some fun with what ifs.

I'm hoping for something in the realm of...

Eaton- .275/.360 30-40 SBs

Abreu- .290/.360 30 HRs

Garcia- .270/.320 25 HRs

if that happens we could very well see ourselves close to the playoffs.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
Don't think my earlier post will truly come to fruition, I'm just merely having some fun with what ifs.

Abreu- .290/.360 30 HRs

Garcia- .270/.320 25 HRs

That is very much a realistic possibility.

Maybe Garcia 20 HRs and Abreu 35 - but who knows.

Garcia at 15 and Abreu at 20 is also possible. I'm of the mindset that success is far more likely than mediocrity.

Dunn is also a wild card to me this year.

Think he may have his best year with us thus far. That's my bold prediction for 2014. :)

QUOTE (staxx @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 01:47 PM)
if that happens we could very well see ourselves close to the playoffs.

Not with the current pitching staff. They need another starter and they could use the money saved by the cost-controlled core they are putting together to sign a top-of-the-rotation type.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
Not with the current pitching staff. They need another starter and they could use the money saved by the cost-controlled core they are putting together to sign a top-of-the-rotation type.

If all is going well at the break - I could see them looking at adding a top of the rotation RHP.

That's a huge if though. :P

The more I think about our upcoming number 3 pick - the more Hoffman sounds good :)

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 03:57 PM)

I agree to an extent. There's a bit riding on Danks returning to form, which I think is possible, he did have a sub 4 ERA in August, so there's that. I really like what I saw out of EJ too, gotta like that he gave up 3 earned runs or less in all 5 of his starts. If those guys can become "passable" 3-4 options then I think the rotation will be "good enough".

Paulino could be a surprise as well....He did have a sub 2 era in 7 starts before getting hurt.....It's crazy to expect that but an ear in the low 4s is suitable #5

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
That is very much a realistic possibility.

Maybe Garcia 20 HRs and Abreu 35 - but who knows.

Garcia at 15 and Abreu at 20 is also possible. I'm of the mindset that success is far more likely than mediocrity.

Dunn is also a wild card to me this year.

Think he may have his best year with us thus far. That's my bold prediction for 2014. :)

It's realistic looking at it on a 1 on 1 basis, the odds of all 3 of them putting up those numbers is unlikely.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)

Abreu- .290/.360 30 HRs

Garcia- .270/.320 25 HRs

If this happens book your playoff tickets now with any decent pitching. But yeah it's not happening.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
Hooefully Hawkins has a snapback season. Coming into 2013, BA considered him a better prospect than Garcia or Eaton, and he was only slightly behind Puig.

if hawkins can snap back into the prospect he was thought to be, along with our #3 selection and our new additions, the future of this team would be looking very bright.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
Ye have little faith.

Just saying it's all threes first full seasons of facing MLB pitching. Last year's rookie of the year put up .293/.354/.478 and about 23 HRs over a full season. I think it's unfair to expect all 3 essentially put up rookie of the year caliber numbers. I know Eaton and Garcia aren't eligible and Abreu isn't your typical rookie, but my point it is really tough to just come in and put up those type of numbers

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 07:06 PM)
Just saying it's all threes first full seasons of facing MLB pitching. Last year's rookie of the year put up .293/.354/.478 and about 23 HRs over a full season. I think it's unfair to expect all 3 essentially put up rookie of the year caliber numbers. I know Eaton and Garcia aren't eligible and Abreu isn't your typical rookie, but my point it is really tough to just come in and put up those type of numbers

I agree that it's highly unlikely but....

That man I highlighted was Yoenis Cespedes, a guy who Abreu is supposed to be better than.

Eaton was already supposed to be a Roy candidate last year.

And Garcia has shown flashes of what he can do.

Again it's probably not gonna happen, but I think it's plausible.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 06:08 PM)
The pitching situation is fine and could realistically be better than last year

And yet nobody would argue we're in better shape now than coming into last year.

Sale/Peavy/Quintana/Danks/Santiago/Axelrod/Rienzo/E.Johnson.

Obviously, Axelrod isn't a huge loss, but you're really banking on a repeat from Quintana and Danks pitching more like he did in 2008 and then you're making a lot of assumptions about the back of the rotation based on September performances.