Rosenthal: Tanaka to Yankees

bear_brian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 17, 2014 -> 03:08 AM)
Legitimate question:

If the Sox did a Bobby Bonilla type thing that paid Tanaka $2M for 10 years after his contract was over, would that be a smart or dumb move?

Why would he take 10/100 like you mentioned, when he could get more money for less years...and then sign another huge contract if he does well?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:09 PM)
Why would he take 10/100 like you mentioned, when he could get more money for less years...and then sign another huge contract if he does well?

Oh, the 10/100 was a joke. I expect he'll get around $18M/year

I'm saying if the number is around that (18M), would it be smart for the Sox to add deferred payment to the end of the deal?

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 07:46 PM)
I think that is the only way the Cubs will sign him.

I'm actually more worried about the Cubs signing him than the Yankees & Dodgers. The Cubs have enough money to make a ridiculous offer without luxury tax consequences, desperately need to add quality starting pitching, and could use a major PR win with the fans. The Cubs are the one team IMO with the motives to do something really stupid here.

Somebody should send Tanaka and his people one of those racist Fukadome T-shirts that were being sold outside Wrigley during Fukadome's first year in Cubbie land. That would give Masahiro some food for thought regarding the Northside.

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Somebody should send Tanaka and his people one of those racist Fukadome T-shirts that were being sold outside Wrigley during Fukadome's first year in Cubbie land. That would give Masahiro some food for thought regarding the Northside.

What did those shirts say?

I'd always be interested to see what people think justifies a contract of a certain amount. Say we signed him for 20 a year.....what numbers does he need to put up for that? What does Kershaw need to put up to justify 30? Can he?

Just playing devil's advocate, ya know. Will Tanaka need to win the Cy Young to more or less justify the contract that he's going to get?

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:36 PM)
I'd always be interested to see what people think justifies a contract of a certain amount. Say we signed him for 20 a year.....what numbers does he need to put up for that? What does Kershaw need to put up to justify 30? Can he?

Just playing devil's advocate, ya know. Will Tanaka need to win the Cy Young to more or less justify the contract that he's going to get?

Well, 1 WAR = $5M, right?

So he'd have to average 4 WAR per year.

Pitchers who had a 4 to 5 fWAR last year:

Derek Holland 4.8

Doug Fister 4.6

James Shields 4.5

Mat Latos 4.4

David Price 4.4

Jon Lester 4.3

Jhoulys Chacin 4.3

Hisashi Iwakuma 4.2

Jose Fernandez 4.2

Cole Hamels 4.2

A.J. Burnett 4.0

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Williams: White Sox 'not giving up' on Tanaka

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/willia...masahiro-tanaka

I think it's very telling that KW went and made this public. I think this makes it clear this race is far from over, and the Sox are still very much in it. Few interesting things I gathered, that he's not chasing the almighty dollar and the fact he is going where he is most comfortable. Both with the future of the team and where he will live 7 months of the year. With that being said, the whole Cubs think I take as two ways. 1) that the cubs really are the highest bidders and are blowing other offers out (which seems to contradict KWs thought that's not what he's doing. And 2) that Chicago may be a place he feels comfortable playing

If the interest is there to be in Chicago, I think if we are competitive in negotiations we can end up with him. I'm sorry I just see us 10x as likely to sign him than the Cubs. There is nothin there to persuade him. Ya they have a good future some say better than ours, I would agree. They have some interesting talent, just like us. Difference is with the trades we have made our talent for the most part is MlB ready. The Cubs talent for the most part is Double A ready.

I don't see a guy who is said to be as fiery as a competitor as The Greg Maddox signing somewhere where he will be an afterthought to a horrible team the next three years. I just don't think that interests him, unless the Cubs are head and shoulders above the rest $ wise. I do however see this guy coming here being paired up with one of the best young pitchers in the game, a solid core of young players, and the chance to worry about pitching every 5 days and winning instead of the bright lights and hoopla comes with NYY or LAD.

I was becomin Less and less optimisticd this afternoon, but after seeing KW come out and say this. I like our chances. Let's just hope Hahn get creative and this guy is in the fold come Sox Fest.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 11:15 PM)
If I may ask real quick: is there any legit chance we end up signing him?

I don't have time to read through 67 pages :-/

If $ is not the end all be all, yes. If he decides he truly wants to be in CHICAGO, yes

If $ is his motivating force in negotiations, no. He will be a NyY, LAD, or CHC.

I think the Sox have a legit shot if the contract is between, $100-$125 million. But again other teams will pay it, he will want to be here for us to sign him. Not outbidding anyone IMO.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
If $ is not the end all be all, yes. If he decides he truly wants to be in CHICAGO, yes

If $ is his motivating force in negotiations, no. He will be a NyY, LAD, or CHC.

I think the Sox have a legit shot if the contract is between, $100-$125 million. But again other teams will pay it, he will want to be here for us to sign him. Not outbidding anyone IMO.

I take it he has said something about wanting to be in Chicago? I have some Cubs fans who are totally convinced he's going to be a Cub as of tomorrow.

Is there any particular reason to think he may WANT to play for the Sox?

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 11:42 PM)
I feel like even if the Sox don't get him, they are planning a fairly big move for shortly after Tanaka-thon ends.

I hope so, but I think we're pretty well set. Maybe a catcher but I think we're done if we don't get Tanaka. I think the only reason we are even "in" on him as hard as we are is because he really does fit exactly what Hahn is doing.

There is no doubt the have done their scouting and homework on this guy, and I think it makes them giddy thinking about him and Sale as our 1-2 for the next 5-7 years. Not to mention the 3rd pick in the draft this year and the acquisition of some high upside young players, that also filled our needs. I mean really if he wasn't so desired by everyone else you couldn't ask for a better piece and bookend to our offseason.

I really think the want this guy, BAD. And at the end of the day, it's up to him if he takes a few Million less to play for somewhere he may ultimately want to pitch for the next 5-7 years. They've done their part, they no doubt did their best to sell them on the South Side. Well see if he's all about the Benjamin's or not in a week, Hopefuly sooner.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 11:56 PM)
I take it he has said something about wanting to be in Chicago? I have some Cubs fans who are totally convinced he's going to be a Cub as of tomorrow.

Is there any particular reason to think he may WANT to play for the Sox?

The whole Cub signing is said to be because their offer is way above everyone else's. At least said to be a HUGe offer and Rosenthal tweeted that most owners at the Owners meeting today expect the Cubs to sign him.

It's not knowN where he prefers to pitch, however it's been said his wife prefers the West coast. But if he's willing to pitch for the Cubs he obviously wouldn't mind Chicago.

KW came out today saying we were not giving up on signing Tanaka and he came away with the impression after meeting Tanaka it won't be all about the money and more about where he is comfortable.

Really man it's all BS, so it's all hypotheticals and bluster. Who knows, I just think now that we ate hearing Cubs Cubs Cubs. He may have warmed to pitching in Chicago. And when he analyzes it he may see the CWS offer a better chance of winning in the next few years. So he could take a few million less still make $100 + not pitch in a s*** hole and avoid the spotlight of NY and LA. (which he is also rumored to be a low key quiet guy, opposite of Darvish coming out)

Edited by Frank_Thomas35