It's cold outside

Rowand44

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 04:55 PM)
Weatherman this morning "1-9 inches of snow tonight".

Really? thats really putting your neck out.

NBC had 2 forecast models going. Biggest difference was Rockford. One said .8 inches, the other said 8.8. Little bit of a difference.

Has the horrific winter in Chicago made any of you make any life decisions?

By that I mean ... a.) you have now decided that "someday" in the future you will retire somewhere outside of frigid/snowy Chicago or b.) you've decided to immediately, at this stage of your life, look for work in a warm weather climate (Cali, Texas, Nevada)?

It just seems you've gotten snow after snow; arctic blast after arctic blast.

Our winter sucked here as well. I do hate the cold and ice.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 11, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)

By that I mean ... a.) you have now decided that "someday" in the future you will retire somewhere outside of frigid/snowy Chicago or b.) you've decided to immediately, at this stage of your life, look for work in a warm weather climate (Cali, Texas, Nevada)?

I don't ever see myself leaving Chicago as being my home, but I could easily see a situation where I have a retirement home somewhere warm, and spend December, January, February, etc. there. Who would continually put up with this stuff when they're old and retired?

I've always said that I'm moving to Arizona when I retire, but of course that is dependent on my financial situation and if I have grandchildren where they are located.

I never thought it would cross my mind, but I definitely have thought about it more this winter. My wife is from the desert in SoCal and she has family there, so we would have an easy place to move to. Problem is my business leaves me zero chance of moving right now, so it's all a dream today. Plus, the summers there would be worse than Chicago winters for me, 110+ degrees every day.

Today's snow doesn't bother me much knowing that it will be 52 degrees on Friday.

This is literally the worst winter of my lifetime and it's almost over.

No big deal. Chicago is the greatest.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 8, 2014 -> 08:00 PM)
Should have specified, the first snow big enough to cover the tree (with the snow plow throwing it into the yard).

My Christmas tree made an appaerence for two days. Now buried again under the new 6 inches of snow we got last night.

My wife and I talked about moving to Hawaii after our honeymoon. It's always been dream talk, like "yeah that'd be nice." This winter and the extended commutes have accelerated the talking to actually looking for jobs online. It'd be tough to leave, but I'd go in a heartbeat.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 08:55 AM)
My wife and I talked about moving to Hawaii after our honeymoon. It's always been dream talk, like "yeah that'd be nice." This winter and the extended commutes have accelerated the talking to actually looking for jobs online. It'd be tough to leave, but I'd go in a heartbeat.

$$$$$

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
Each shovel was supposed to be upwards of 15-20lbs. If do your driveway you can lift over 3,000 lbs. Pretty good cardio this morning.

I'm contemplating myself whether I should since it should be high 30's tomorrow and 40's the following day. We'll see.

It did before, but now moreso than ever. My SO and I have dreamed about relocating to Southern Cali for the longest and actually planned to do so when our son graduates from middle school which is in 3 more years. We want to make sure we set ourselves up properly financially(move with no debt other than student loans and have cash and reserves saved up) since we have no family there. This winter, however, has made me think, I'd rather even deal with living in Miami or Houston as well even though it gets really hot.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 12, 2014 -> 11:14 AM)
Remember when the meteorologist would say in February, if this rain was snow we would have 8 inches.

Well this is the winter when all of those moments are snow.

If this was a normal winter, we could have had 2-3 feet of snow on the south lake front. With the lake frozen over there was no lake effect like there would have been otherwise.