Can You Win With This Core?

Marty34

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody knows. It's certainly possible especially if Abreu is who we all hope he is. If you have a legit star bat and Chris Sale with the extra young starters we have around him, you can find a way to plug in some holes even if some of the other guys are busts.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
I think Santiago was part of the core. Plus stuff, cheap left-hander.

He was. Then he was dealt for another valuable piece.

Right now, I would consider Marcus Semien and Dayan Viciedo part of the core. That doesn't mean they can't be turned around and traded for other valuable pieces at some point in the future.

We've got 2 guys in that core who have been compared to Miguel Cabrera in Abreu and A. Garcia , even if Garcia's was based more on looks than ability . But still if either one or both of them come close to duplicating Cabrera's numbers then we've really got something.

Also might as well add Phegley and Beckham to the core since it's not impossible that they have good enough years and are young enough that they can be considered part of the future. Or if Carlos Sanchez and Micah Johnson both hit .333 this year and pitchers have an Erik Johnson type year you can add them too since you'll be subtracting whichever ones you listed in the current core bust.

So many unexpected things could happen. Conor Gillaspie could hit .280 and 20HR's . You never know.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
Abreu Age 27

Semien Age 24

Davidson Age 23

Viciedo Age 25

Eaton Age 25

Garcia Age 23

Sale Age 25

Quintana Age 24

Johnson Age 24

Add the #3 pick to it, but is this core good enough that they won't have to deal anyone from it to get better? The only reinforcements otherwise will have to come via free agency because there isn't much in the minors

We'll know when we see them in action this season.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 02:32 PM)
I think Santiago was part of the core. Plus stuff, cheap left-hander.

He wasn't considered part of the core until he suddenly, and surprisingly, was a viable major-league player. So the point is, some of those people in the farm you think are worthless might be Santiago and you can add to your core using them.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 06:01 PM)
And we don't have a roided up Miguel Tejada in his prime. Why does this argument keep going???

I'm not sure precisely what the argument is. My comment on the original post is that there is plenty of good young talent on the team. That list of players alone may not be enough to compete for a World Series, and it doesn't have to. It's dirt cheap and we'll have a ton of money to buy more players where the need exists.

Abreu - Lives up to hype as "Best Hitter on the Planet"

Semien - Sticks at 2B, has a .375 OBP

Davidson - Defense improves a bit, becomes a .280 hitter with about 25 HRs

Viciedo - Develops some paitence, hits 30+ bombs a year

Eaton - Hits .300 with a .400 OBP with good CF defense.

Garcia - High average and lots of homers

Sale - Cy Young caliber player

Quintana - #2 pitcher

Johnson - Can be a #2

Webb - Lights out closer

Jones - Closer, flipped for something else

Danish - Can become an ace

Zapata - Monstrous tools

Hawkins - 30 HR+ potential

Anderson - Speedster with good upside

M. Johnson - Super speedster

Beck - #3 starter

I understand we're not the Cubs fan base and that the likelihood of even half of those happening is small but there's a chance that if things do click for the young guns that the Sox would be legitimate WS contenders.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)
The stars aligned for us for that to happen and he's no star at this point. The best positional players next offseason in FA are Headley and Hanley Ramirez. My point, FA isn't what it was in the past.

Let's just keep churning out the pitchers. Ideally Sale/Quintana give repeat performances, Johnson becomes Floyd with a head and a heart, Danks rebounds and Paulino stays healthy. All of a sudden we have an outstanding rotation for ~25 mil. That may be a lot to ask but I like the rotation's composition all things considered. Beck and Danish taking steps forward with the addition of our #3 pick and all of a sudden we have a pitching pipeline for years to come.

he's no star at this point, but the Sox did everything you asked for...broke out of their conservative mold and went after a guy who could be a star.