Kenny never wanted to rebuild, he's always hated young players &am

The Ultimate Champion

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/cws/white-...p;vkey=news_cws

"We were able to execute our long-term plan in a very short time," Williams said. "Each year that we put together our Plan A, B and C, we've talked about, 'Is now the year that we should turn it over and get younger and target guys who could help us and help us very quickly?'

"Well, we were always competing so it was hard to do. So we have a bad year and it gives us the opportunity to do what we had tried to position ourselves to do every year. I got to tell you, when we are talking about our target list and some of the guys we've been able to bring in since last July, I'm as excited as I've been in years to see this team take the field."

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)

"We were able to execute our long-term plan in a very short time," Williams said. "Each year that we put together our Plan A, B and C, we've talked about, 'Is now the year that we should turn it over and get younger and target guys who could help us and help us very quickly?'

"Well, we were always competing so it was hard to do. So we have a bad year and it gives us the opportunity to do what we had tried to position ourselves to do every year. I got to tell you, when we are talking about our target list and some of the guys we've been able to bring in since last July, I'm as excited as I've been in years to see this team take the field."

I know you're trying to be funny but yeah " no s***" he hates rebuilds.

If he was gm in 2013, I think we still have peavy and rios.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 10:53 AM)
I know you're trying to be funny but yeah " no s***" he hates rebuilds.

If he was gm in 2013, I think we still have peavy and rios.

I disagree. Ithink the writing wason the wall that the 2013 team was at the end of a pretty good run. I think KW would have done the same thing. You cannot winwith a bunch of rookies. If you are trying to win you need mostly vets with only one or two rookies. This is what the Sox did for years until the time ran out. Now is the time to take losses and build the core again for a run of success. KW was in charge of the minors beforehe was GM. I don't think he has a problem with them he just knows you can't win with all rookies.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)

What an odd quote.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 12:51 PM)
Not really. He's saying that he wanted to tear it down but the team was too competitive to do it. Think about it. This is the same franchise that has a fan base that still cries about the White Flag Trade.

Why did he want to tear it down if it was competitive?

Nowhere did he say anything like "I never wanted to rebuild." All he said was that the reason we didn't rebuild is because we had competitive teams. We've already seen elsewhere where it has been strongly suggested that Reinsdorf has been the one commanding against rebuilds against KW's suggestions otherwise.

I don't think he hates young players; but nor do I buy he couldn't rebuild because we were always in it. We were off of a dreadful season when he traded 3 of our top 7 prospects, incl #1, for Nick Swisher. Same year he trades Carter, who wasn't ready, for more ML ready Quentin.

Then one day when we are kind of playing mediocre, he trades our 2 top pitching prospects for Edwin Jackson.

Then he gives both Jackson and Quentin away in salary dumps.

Too much zigging and zagging.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 09:16 PM)
Because fans like you hold grudges for decades.

I disagree.

It's hilarious the spin Kenny and this organization gets away with since they won in '05. The quote in the first post in this thread is one example, another is Kenny could have built a top notch farm system if he wanted to!! ha.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
I disagree.

It's hilarious the spin Kenny and this organization gets away with since they won in '05. The quote in the first post in this thread is one example, another is Kenny could have built a top notch farm system if he wanted to!! ha.

Oh come on. Is everything a conspiracy to you? Or are you just that desperate for attention?

Kenny made some bad draft choices no doubt and hind sight is always 20/20 but to insinuate that kenny didn't want to build a to notch farm is just plain dumb. There's just no other way to put it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)
I disagree.

Spin? Because people twenty years later STILL don't bring up White Flag at the trade deadline? Because we haven't turned vets into prospects over the last six months?

No part of what you just said is actually true, no matter how many times you say it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2014 -> 11:04 AM)
Spin? Because people twenty years later STILL don't bring up White Flag at the trade deadline? Because we haven't turned vets into prospects over the last six months?

No part of what you just said is actually true, no matter how many times you say it.

Who brings it up? So they are sensitive to fans opinions when it comes the white flag trade and ignore them when it comes to Dunn? BS.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 8, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
Because being competitive and being ready to win another World Series are two different things. This team has 1 playoff win and appearance since 2005.

100% correct and with the 8th highest payroll in baseball, "competitive" is not acceptable to begin with. Two words Kenny, Adam Dunn. Enjoy the pasture.....

This thread also shows the need for having a top flight farm system. Every GM makes bad trades or at least no-help/ho-help trade (which is a loss). If you have prospects, the opportunity cost for making a trade is much, much less. I beat on Kenny about some of his trades, but, honestly, he hasn't had a lot of ammo.

Red Sox make a lot of bad trades; they trade a lot of prospects. Just rarely notice that they're gone, because they have an unending flow coming in.

Hopefully we'll continue to draft better and to be more active internationally.

Edited by GreenSox

Well, it gets said every year, but if guys like Hawkins, Thompson, Mitchell, Barnum and maybe a few others were to make serious strides this season, the evaluation of the Sox farm system changes considerably and is no longer a "punchline" as the article suggests, and many who argue that it's been an organizational weakness would have to re-evaluate their assumptions. In other words, it wouldn't take much.