The Official 2014 Opening Day thread

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 29, 2014 -> 11:49 AM)
Abreu/Garcia is enough to keep me interested even if the team sucks. Both those guys should be studs.

I'm excited for Semien and Davidson to be up here and starting for good as well. I expect them to be a little better than people think(like around the wild card races until the last month of the season) but even if they aren't, there's a lot of young talent to watch and follow this year.

63 and cloudy for first pitch. Remember that year Chris Sale threw a no-hitter on Opening Day?

Still think they'll call off Wednesday's game early...like Tuesday night. No point in playing if the forecast is high 30's and rain. And yes, they should completely skip Paulino until the first game in Denver, where it's supposed to be in the 60's...so the Sox are going to dodge the weather bullet in Colorado.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
Sounds like PK actually benched himself. Good job, Paul!

You're right. Forget what I said about Robin.

https://twitter.com/DanHayesCSN/status/450293247252783104

It's pretty simple for Konerko---start against lefties, pinch hit, come in during mop-up time, fill in for a couple days when Abreu or Dunn have a minor injury.

Hopefully it's about 40 starts, and some other playing time for about 200 plate appearances.

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 9m

Konerko made the call on Opening Day with Robin. In this new role, he felt as if he wouldn't be starting in Game 5 against Nolasco...

Scott Merkin ‏@scottmerkin 9m

... He shouldn't be starting on Opening Day against him.

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 14m

Konerko not starting season opener. Ventura still deciding between Viciedo, De Aza in LF

God Konerko had to save the Sox from themselves. I worried about Konerko playing too often. Sounds like he has a pretty good grasp on it.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 10:51 AM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 14m

Konerko not starting season opener. Ventura still deciding between Viciedo, De Aza in LF

Really hope Viciedo gets the nod. The dude can hit. I don't get why he hasn't gotten the job yet, he only went 14/56 last year due to injuries and he went 25/78 in his only full season.

I was completely against the Paulie move, partly because I was worried Robin would mismanage the situation, but I will be ok with it for now if he's used correctly. Glad to see Paulie understands his role and isn't looking for a glorified last hurrah at the expense of the team. That's really a class act move to pass on the Opening Day and get Dunn's left-handed bat in the lineup.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
Really hope Viciedo gets the nod. The dude can hit. I don't get why he hasn't gotten the job yet, he only went 14/56 last year due to injuries and he went 25/78 in his only full season.

I look forward to his two hot weeks in May, and general awfulness the rest of the time...with below-average defense.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
Sounds like PK actually benched himself. Good job, Paul!

Classy moves by both Ventura for recognizing what Konerko has meant to this organization, and Konerko for being willing to step aside, unlike many over the hill stars.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)
Classy moves by both Ventura for recognizing what Konerko has meant to this organization, and Konerko for being willing to step aside, unlike many over the hill stars.

Or shame on Ventura for putting Konerko in that position to have to say no...but whatever.

This should have never been a topic. Konerko had it right all along.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
Or shame on Ventura for putting Konerko in that position to have to say no...but whatever.

This should have never been a topic. Konerko had it right all along.

Right. Shame on Ventura for giving one of the greatest White Sox in franchise history a chance to be recognized on one last opening day by his fans. What was he thinking.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 11:35 AM)
Right. Shame on Ventura for giving one of the greatest White Sox in franchise history a chance to be recognized on one last opening day by his fans. What was he thinking.

They all line up and get introduced before the game. He will get his ovation.

Ventura and the organization are just covering their butts. If they don't say publicly that they offered him the start, then they get criticized. They covered all the bases, so as not to look cold.

Konerko is smarter than all of them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 12:36 PM)
Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 38m

Sale doesn't want to step on anybody's toes, but thinks Konerko should start the opener. Says he's earned it.

Happy 25th birthday to Chris Sale. 230 innings, please.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
I think Konerko should start on his last opening day. Let him DH. We should be recognizing what all he's meant to this team. But whatever let's just play some ball.

Ehh. It's not Little League though. It's not their best lineup. Play your best lineup.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 30, 2014 -> 02:28 PM)
Ehh. It's not Little League though. It's not their best lineup. Play your best lineup.

We're not trying to win the division this year, so we may as well treat it like "little league".