Marcus Semien

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ May 22, 2014 -> 05:07 PM)
Where's Buckets of Semien to weigh in on this one?

can't top last comment but could Semien learn to play the outfield well enough to replace ADA and while he would be there learn how to be more selective on pitches that he chooses to swing at.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
Agree. It's Darwinian.

Let the best guys play.

If that makes Saladino the odd man out, so be it.

Or else make a trade.

Semien needs to play every day somewhere.

Yup, Saladino should be a non-factor here. Just send Semien down to AAA and rotate him between 2B, SS, & 3B with Johnson, Sanchez, & Davidson DHing when Marcus is in their spot. Obviously this is not ideal, but it makes ton more sense than Semien playing once a week for us.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 22, 2014 -> 08:34 PM)
Yup, Saladino should be a non-factor here. Just send Semien down to AAA and rotate him between 2B, SS, & 3B with Johnson, Sanchez, & Davidson DHing when Marcus is in their spot. Obviously this is not ideal, but it makes ton more sense than Semien playing once a week for us.

This makes sense in only one way...that Semien isn't better suited than Carlos Sanchez to stick at SS at the next level.

Because the rule of thumb is leaving your best/better prospects at SS/C/CF until they prove they can't handle it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 22, 2014 -> 09:37 PM)
    This makes sense in only one way...that Semien isn't better suited than Carlos Sanchez to stick at SS at the next level.

Because the rule of thumb is leaving your best/better prospects at SS/C/CF until they prove they can't handle it.

Then play Semien at SS and rotate Sanchez around the IF. The point remains that already having three good IF prospects at AAA shouldn't prevent us from sending Semien down.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2014 -> 06:21 PM)
    Hypothetically, if on opening day 2015 we have a 3B-2B-LF combination of Gillaspie-Johnson-Eaton, could anyone say there wouldn't be a spot for Semien to play at least 2-3 times a week?

Great point, especially with how weak all 3 of those main guys are against LHP.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ May 22, 2014 -> 07:33 PM)
    Agree. It's Darwinian.

Let the best guys play.

If that makes Saladino the odd man out, so be it.

Or else make a trade.

Semien needs to play every day somewhere.

They're having Saladino taking OF practice now. My guess is Mitchell is gone.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
    I agree. I would love for Semien to get some reps in LF. As Sox fans, we have always chose to go for the high on his estimations as a prospect but there were a lot of publications and writers in the camp that Semien would be a very valuable super sub type.

Hypothetically, if on opening day 2015 we have a 3B-2B-LF combination of Gillaspie-Johnson-Eaton, could anyone say there wouldn't be a spot for Semien to play at least 2-3 times a week?

Looking forward in this season, if the team is completely out of it in August/September and the Sox want to get their young guys reps there isn't going to be a lot of flexibility in the infield. 2B is going to have a logjam of guys vying for a spot, 3B will have Gillaspie/Davidson and LF will be wide open with placeholders ADA/Sierra holding it down. The LF situation really sticks out to me. Last year the Sox traded Rios, in part, to give Garcia his chance and they benched a struggling Gillaspie to give Semien a look. This year we'll have Semien, Johnson and Davidson all looking to play and the only spot wide open is LF. Someone has to be given a shot there and I just think Semien makes a lot of sense.

Who is in CF in this scenario?

Edited by Leonard Zelig

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
    I really don't think Rasmus is out of the realm of possibility but if Hahn understands that we have been nearly last in defense the last two years one of the ways of changing that is shifting Eaton to LF and bringing in a defensive CF. Rasmus is a LH power hitter who plays a great CF. Kind of a buy low candidate with the injuries he's had. I follow the Blue Jays pretty regularly and their fans find it unlikely that they bring him back.

The good news is the White Sox, particularly this season, have an exemplary record of keeping their players healthy so we could be confident at him overcoming those problems if he came to the south side.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
    I really don't think Rasmus is out of the realm of possibility but if Hahn understands that we have been nearly last in defense the last two years one of the ways of changing that is shifting Eaton to LF and bringing in a defensive CF. Rasmus is a LH power hitter who plays a great CF. Kind of a buy low candidate with the injuries he's had. I follow the Blue Jays pretty regularly and their fans find it unlikely that they bring him back.

Do you think Hahn's willing to stake his job on that kind of move? Because you're still talking Abreu-esque money, probably...with the dearth of quality free agents out there, and Sandoval imploding so far this season.

It's too bad we didn't have a shot at Morneau (with this the last year of Dunn) as that's turned out to be a great pick-up for the Rockies. Seth Smith has been highlighted by many in the last year or so.

Melky Cabera's had a great bounce-back year but how much can you trust that? And, once again, he's more of a corner guy, he doesn't belong in CF.

Or do you go after a veteran like a Morales (DH) that probably isn't part of your long-term core but can be here for the next 2-3 seasons...or Victor Martinez, who's basically Konerko's age but hitting better than even Miguel Cabrera so far.

That would mean leaving Viciedo in LF or RF, and that's two defensive liabilities in one outfield together (including a rusty Avisail).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 23, 2014 -> 01:20 PM)
    The good news is the White Sox, particularly this season, have an exemplary record of keeping their players healthy so we could be confident at him overcoming those problems if he came to the south side.

Are we going by the historical record or the last 18 months or so?

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2014 -> 02:14 PM)

If the White Sox wanted Rasmus, they would have already had him, without paying him $100 million, or whatever he gets this off-season.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2014 -> 03:14 PM)
    Great post. I like how one year of deviation from the norm completely washes away the org's track record.

If you're talking about July of 2010, Rasmus was a different player then and the Sox were in a different position then. The Sox were trying to make the playoffs not pick up a project CF. You're assuming he gets a 100 million and that's not a certainty.

Even if it is 2/3 of that, we are still talking about the amount of money given to Jose Abreu

Word is the passed on Rasmus because of his attitude. That they opted instead to essentially give Jackson away for the privilege to stop paying Teahen should tell you how they feel about him. There's no question Rasmus' potential was more valuable on paper.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
    I should say that I never said I wanted Rasmus, I just said that he's not out of the realm of possibility. All I know is that we have money to throw, he hits LH, plays great defense and hits for power. These are all things any team could use. Obviously his track record isn't without flaw but would he be anywhere near the White Sox price range if he was?

It's one thing not to want to bring Rasmus aboard, there's definitely an argument there and I quoted some below, but taking shots at the Sox ability as an organization to keep players healthy is bulls***, especially with the snarky overtone. It wasn't long ago they were considered an anomaly because of how much they succeeded in that department.

You're right but are we going to refrain from signing marquee FAs as a whole? We'll have to adjust to the current market demands at some point to supplement our homegrown talent. I would comfortably wager that in the next two offseasons there will be a contract that surpasses Abreu's dollar amount.

His attitude is definitely a concern but that, along with his injury concerns, could make him an affordable commodity. I've been opining for Victor Martinez since last offseason but it seems now his ability to hit the baseball is very apparent around the league with his great start. Either way, the Sox are going to need to bring a long something in the middle of the order for next season if they are serious about contending.

Well, especially considering they already knew about Abreu's pre-existing ankle conditions and Chris Sale's mechanics when both those guys were brought on board.

Word is the passed on Rasmus because of his attitude. That they opted instead to essentially give Jackson away for the privilege to stop paying Teahen should tell you how they feel about him. There's no question Rasmus' potential was more valuable on paper.

If true, KW is an even bigger fool than I thought.