Chris Sale

Jose Abreu

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fWAR for pitchers is definitely going to be better to evaluate pitchers in a small sample (like a partial or single season) because FIP is much less influenced by luck and is otherwise more stable. Over the long run, a runs allowed-based statistic might be better for evaluating the careers of pitchers.

For position players, fWAR is always better but the differences aren't always so glaring like they are with pitchers.

fWAR uses FIP, so it strips the influence of defense on a pitcher's success. Everyone, including FanGraphs, believe that FIP probably goes too far in it's culling, and may underrate pitchers that are uncommonly good at inducing weak contact or preventing homeruns.

bWAR uses ERA, so it assumes that a pitcher is responsible for the entirety of a teams defensive effort when he is on the mound. This is inherently unstable and non-predictive because a pitcher is given credit or harmed if (1) his defense is or is performing above or below average, if the pitcher has been lucky or unlucky through BABIP fluctuations, and (3) the pitcher has been lucky or unlucky in terms of run or hit sequencing.

The argument fWAR is accuracy over completeness; the argument for bWAR is completeness over accuracy. The truth is somewhere between the two, but most pundits believe it is closer to fWAR.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 05:29 PM)
fWAR uses FIP, so it strips the influence of defense on a pitcher's success. Everyone, including FanGraphs, believe that FIP probably goes too far in it's culling, and may underrate pitchers that are uncommonly good at inducing weak contact or preventing homeruns.

bWAR uses ERA, so it assumes that a pitcher is responsible for the entirety of a teams defensive effort when he is on the mound. This is inherently unstable and non-predictive because a pitcher is given credit or harmed if (1) his defense is or is performing above or below average, if the pitcher has been lucky or unlucky through BABIP fluctuations, and (3) the pitcher has been lucky or unlucky in terms of run or hit sequencing.

The argument fWAR is accuracy over completeness; the argument for bWAR is completeness over accuracy. The truth is somewhere between the two, but most pundits believe it is closer to fWAR.

If the truth lies somewhere between then why not average them out?

aWar = (bWar+fWar)/2

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 06:29 PM)

DIPS theory is certainly evolving and I think even Voros would tell you he was wrong about a few things.

I personally prefer fWAR for the majority of pitchers. There are some pitchers fWAR over and underrates, sometimes quite badly, but for most guys it works fine and for Sale it really underpins his greatness, in case the .86 WHIP and 2.16 ERA already didn't.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 7, 2014 -> 06:00 PM)
If the truth lies somewhere between then why not average them out?

aWar = (bWar+fWar)/2

I've seen it done before -- FanGraphs has a bWAR-like metric called RA9-WAR (runs-allowed per 9) and for specific articles, sometimes they've averaged them (though mostly they just present both independently).

I think the reason they haven't created an official "averaged" metric is because they believe that the FIP-based metric is much closer to correct in most instances. So while the averaged metric may be more accurate in the aggregate, it would be more inaccurate for most individual instances, and I think we'd all agree that it's more useful to be right about specific pitchers than it is to be right about the league or a team as a whole. Dave Cameron's philosophy (or what his philosophy seems to be IMO) on these things is one I like: in the face of incomplete information, one should cite additional information to make the analysis complete, rather than water down the initial information for the sake of summary.

FWIW, I think the "official" line on the difference between FIP-based WAR and RA9-based WAR is that the larger the sample of performance gets (assuming stable conditions like velocity and stuff), the more accurate RA9-WAR becomes as a predictor of future performance and, by extension, as a proxy for "true talent." It's pretty rare, though, that a pitcher accumulates enough innings WITHOUT significant physiological or circumstantial changes that we would feel better looking to RA9-WAR as the "primary" tool. When it does turn out that way, it's usually a sign of a pretty extreme case, such as someone who is abnormally good at homerun prevention over a very long time without suffering any major injuries that would diminish velocity.

Felix named starter tomorrow. It says he has the lowest ERA in the AL. I checked, and Sale has a lower ERA. To qualify, he must have 1 IP for every Sox game. He has 95 IP in 94 games. Someone explain this to me?

Yesterday was the Sox' 96th game, so Sale was the AL ERA leader up until the 5th inning was completed. Now he isn't.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
Felix named starter tomorrow. It says he has the lowest ERA in the AL. I checked, and Sale has a lower ERA. To qualify, he must have 1 IP for every Sox game. He has 95 IP in 94 games. Someone explain this to me?

The Dodgers have played 97 games. I believe that's the most in the league. Thus, to technically be qualified for the ERA title right now, a pitcher must have throw 97 innings.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
Yesterday was the Sox' 96th game, so Sale was the AL ERA leader up until the 5th inning was completed. Now he isn't.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
The Dodgers have played 97 games. I believe that's the most in the league. Thus, to technically be qualified for the ERA title right now, a pitcher must have throw 97 innings.

My bad Hickory, and I didn't know that wite, thanks

No, it's just based on your own team's games, but the Sox have played 96 so Sale is one inning short.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
No, it's just based on your own team's games, but the Sox have played 96 so Sale is one inning short.

I glanced at the Sox record and it said 44-50. Didn't realize that was 2 days old.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Jul 15, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
Is a smellface someone who smells faces or has a smelly face? Is a smellface anything like a stinkfist?

You've hit upon one of the greater philosophical questions of our generation. I think you can take a course on this topic at your nearest college.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 17, 2014 -> 03:40 AM)
No, its so simple.

1) They want to break up Sale-Quintana-Danks

2) They would rather have Sale face KC then Astros

Good call. Hopefully Sox are sick of getting swept by KC. Pitching Sale would be a start to actually beating KC in the Cell.

QUOTE (OsweGo-Go Sox @ Jul 16, 2014 -> 11:34 PM)
Anyone think they skip Carroll and have Sale start on Monday? I'm going on Monday and crossing my fingers...

I would assume Sale starts Monday

So the rotation would be:

Quintana-Noesi-Danks-Sale-Carroll

But they haven't said for sure