6/18 Games

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 02:05 AM)
Yup. So much for our Top 100 prospects.

Come the end of this season, I believe Anderson and Rodon will be ranked in the top 100, with Montas being the next closest. I've said this before, but Johnson/Davidson have to be two of the worst performing top 100 prospects this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)
Come the end of this season, I believe Anderson and Rodon will be ranked in the top 100, with Montas being the next closest. I've said this before, but Johnson/Davidson have to be two of the worst performing top 100 prospects this season.

Micah Johnson has a decent chance of being a top 100 guy IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:25 PM)
Micah Johnson has a decent chance of being a top 100 guy IMO.

I would be more inclined if his SB numbers weren't terrible this year. As it stands, he does has one plus tool (speed) and all of the rest are not special. And his plus tool is not even manifesting itself this year in the SB column. While it can appear in other ways, SBs are a large component in grading the speed tool.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:16 PM)

Rodon will probably be Top 20.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 19, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
I would be more inclined if his SB numbers weren't terrible this year. As it stands, he does has one plus tool (speed) and all of the rest are not special. And his plus tool is not even manifesting itself this year in the SB column. While it can appear in other ways, SBs are a large component in grading the speed tool.

Couldn't agree more. If Johnson wasn't top 100 after last year, then I can't see him being that high after this season. I do think Tim Anderson has a chance to be ranked very high with a good second half.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:27 PM)

Agree to disagree. He was among the lead leaders in OPS prior to his promotion to AAA. His plate discipline was extremely good and he demonstrated decent power for a leadoff hitter type. I get the SB numbers are way down, but I'm not sure that really matters. We've seen the scouting reports and know the speed is plus. Honestly, I think in most other organizations he'd be hyped up by their fans. The guy isn't a Juan Pierre type, he's got way more athleticism and can become an all-around dangerous hitter IMO. I was high on him last year and his Southern League performance only makes me more optimistic.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 08:54 PM)
Not if he soesn't sign. Even if he does sign, he prob won't get enough starts to warrant a top 20...

He's probably not going to get actual starts. He will have some appearances. He has thrown a ton of innings this year. Why are you still on this kick that he may not sign?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 09:09 PM)
Agree to disagree. He was among the lead leaders in OPS prior to his promotion to AAA. His plate discipline was extremely good and he demonstrated decent power for a leadoff hitter type. I get the SB numbers are way down, but I'm not sure that really matters. We've seen the scouting reports and know the speed is plus. Honestly, I think in most other organizations he'd be hyped up by their fans. The guy isn't a Juan Pierre type, he's got way more athleticism and can become an all-around dangerous hitter IMO. I was high on him last year and his Southern League performance only makes me more optimistic.

If I was 100% convinced that he would stay at second base, I would be much more optimistic about his future. You could easily project him to be a top-10 offensive second baseman in the majors for a long time. But if he has to move to the outfield like many are suggesting, then that dents his value. He has never played center field, so it is a stretch to say he will become a above-average center fielder. And if he has to play left field, he won't have enough of an offensive game to truly be a difference maker out there.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 10:31 PM)
Can't believe we traded Juan Silverio for organizational depth...look at him now, great move KW/Hahn, kid will make it to the show and be successful before we know, while our return is outta baseball

You are willing to bet he makes the show just because he had a .774 OPS in AA? Not saying that's bad or anything, but I'm not willing to bet he becomes a guy we really wished we had back just based on that either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
If Rodon signs July 18 and only starts 5 times, he's still Top 20-25.

Just for comparison sake, here are the top 3 pitchers taken the last few years, and where they ranked on the following year's preseason top 100 (BA)....

2013 - Mark Appel (college, 39), Jon Gray (college, 12), Kohl Stewart (HS, 52)

2012 - Kevin Gausman (college, 26), Kyle Zimmer (college, 24), Max Fried (HS, 46)

2011 - Gerrit Cole (college, 12), Danny Hultzen (college, 21), Trevor Bauer (college, 10)

2010 - Jameson Taillon (HS, 11), Drew Pomeranz (college, 61), Matt Harvey (college, unranked)

So I guess Rodon could rank anywhere from 10 to unranked..... ;)

But I think top 50 is a guarantee. Somewhere in the 20's is probably the best bet.