Realistic 2015 Lineup

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 3, 2014 -> 10:17 PM)
The Sox have teased us diehards. This series was jinxed from the start when somebody posted how easy a homestand this is. It doesn't matter who the Sox play ... it matters how the Sox play. Ridiculous to think it would be a easy homestand.

Psh, I think you jinxed it by saying otherwise lol.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of you don’t seem to share my enthusiasm for Sierra, and that’s quite understandable. After all, he has never really been able to establish himself as a regular, despite his many tools. He is appealing to me, because he can also provide plus defense in the outfield. Eaton and Garcia will almost certainly comprise 2/3 of the outfield, and I don’t think that the Sox should sacrifice defense to fill the final spot. So, with that in mind, if the Sox acquire an outfielder via free agency, it should ideally be someone who could be that left handed, middle of the order hitter to protect Abreu, and a player who can provide plus defense in the outfield. Melky Cabrera seems like the best candidate to fill that role. He is having a pretty good year, especially vs RHP.

I’m still hopeful that Wilkins is going to continue to progress, and keeping the DH spot open for him is also a positive. If the Sox signed a pure DH, that would preclude any chance of Andy making his way into the line up. Here is a potential line up vs. rhp:

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

LF M. Cabrera

RF A.Garcia

DH Wilkins

3B Gillaspie vs RHP / Semien vs. LHP

C Flowers

2B C. Sanchez

That team has a nice balance of hitting, from both sides of the plate, including two switch hitters. It sports a good OBP, and adds one veteran to a generally young group.

It would provide solid defense, especially up the middle, and features pretty decent speed. The best part is that it would only require one free agent acquisition, for which there should be plenty of money.

Just add that one rh starter, and fix the bullpen, and they should be able to compete. I'm rooting for Viciedo to finish strongly enough to net them some pitching help.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 03:52 PM)
I like Sierra I wish they would give him the next 40 games all to himself to see if he can prove something. Bench Tank and De Aza everone in MLB knows what they are anyways not like a hot week is gonna convince any team to try and move for them.

Didn't the Blue Jays pretty much already do this at the start of the season? That's how he ended up on the White Sox.

If he was the type of guy who was capable of hitting 25 homers per year, but it's more likely a guy with a 769 career minor league OPS number is going to end up in the low 700's/high 600's at the major league level.

While that would be "okay," it's not going to get us to the playoffs or be anything beyond replacement level.

It's certainly not going to encourage any fans to buy season tickets, and that's half the battle for the organization, building up excitement for the team like the Cubs have now with Baez/Soler and then the addition of Bryant in 2015.

The Cubs can put Baez or Bryant in the outfield, then Russell or Castro at 2B, that only leaves them with one more outfield hole (McKinney/Almora) and catcher. We have to replace everyone but Abreu/Garcia/Eaton (if they can stay healthy). Conor shouldn't be counted on to hit .310-.320 next year again, Alexei's our only trade chip and Flowers....sigh.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:32 PM)
It's certainly not going to encourage any fans to buy season tickets, and that's half the battle for the organization, building up excitement for the team like the Cubs have now with Baez/Soler and then the addition of Bryant in 2015.

Ugh, I leave for a week, move 8 hours, and you're still on this schtick?

WIN BALLGAMES AND PEOPLE COME. NO ONE CARE WHO YOU HAVE IF YOU NO WIN.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
Ugh, I leave for a week, move 8 hours, and you're still on this schtick?

WIN BALLGAMES AND PEOPLE COME. NO ONE CARE WHO YOU HAVE IF YOU NO WIN.

2012 and 2010 say "HELLO!"

If Jose Abreu's the 2nd best player in the major leagues right now, and Chris Sale's a Top 5-7 pitcher and that's attracting a crowd of 19,000+ on a perfectly comfortable August day when then the Sox are still only 5 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race, something's got to be done besides simply discounting tickets.

Hahn needs to make another big bet or two of Adam Dunn proportions, and he has to hit on both of them (along with hitting on the trade return for Alexei, if he decides ultimately to go in that direction).

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
If anyone did care I believe Jose Abreu, the best new hitter in baseball for many years, would be more of an attraction that some prospects.

What's the reason...because he's 27 and doesn't "feel" like a rookie because he's not the same age (20-22) as Baez/Soler/Bryant?

Because he never spent time in on our minor league system developing or wasn't drafted?

It's hard to figure out why a team with 2 of the 10 best players in baseball is 28th in attendance.

I don't agree with the implications in the phrase 'only 5 1/2 games back in the WC'.

The sox suck. That's why people don't attend. They suck. There are 4 teams who suck more in the AL. That's all. They were horrific to watch last year. Its going to take more a lot more winning than they have been doing to bring back the fans in numbers.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
What's the reason...because he's 27 and doesn't "feel" like a rookie because he's not the same age (20-22) as Baez/Soler/Bryant?

Because he never spent time in on our minor league system developing or wasn't drafted?

It's hard to figure out why a team with 2 of the 10 best players in baseball is 28th in attendance.

It is rather baffling they can't get more folks into the park when you have an MVP and Cy Young candidate on the roster. I just don't get it. Is the train stuff still screwed up near US Cellular?

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:13 PM)
I don't agree with the implications in the phrase 'only 5 1/2 games back in the WC'.

The sox suck. That's why people don't attend. They suck. There are 4 teams who suck more in the AL. That's all. They were horrific to watch last year. Its going to take more a lot more winning than they have been doing to bring back the fans in numbers.

eh, this year they are mediocre. But yea, they did suck badly last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
2012 and 2010 say "HELLO!"

If Jose Abreu's the 2nd best player in the major leagues right now, and Chris Sale's a Top 5-7 pitcher and that's attracting a crowd of 19,000+ on a perfectly comfortable August day when then the Sox are still only 5 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race, something's got to be done besides simply discounting tickets.

Hahn needs to make another big bet or two of Adam Dunn proportions, and he has to hit on both of them (along with hitting on the trade return for Alexei, if he decides ultimately to go in that direction).

This team isn't even pretending to be competitive and everyone knows that. GMAB. This team is 5 1/2 games out of the wild card race and has spent the whole season 5 games under .500.

I don't care who he brings back, Adam Dunn didn't sell tickets in 2011 because the team was trash and the manager didn't care.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:30 PM)
This team isn't even pretending to be competitive and everyone knows that. GMAB. This team is 5 1/2 games out of the wild card race and has spent the whole season 5 games under .500.

I don't care who he brings back, Adam Dunn didn't sell tickets in 2011 because the team was trash and the manager didn't care.

I'm fairly certain that Jerry Reinsdorf and Rick Hahn would much rather trim the payroll down even further, below the 60MM mark, and let attendance carry on around the current levels. Tread water during the rebuild and make a splash when the team is ready to compete. Adding a "big ticket" free agent isn't going to do much of anything for attendance. Besides, that logic assumes the big ticket players that would be available would even sign here. For what? To participate in a rebuild?

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:43 PM)
I'm fairly certain that Jerry Reinsdorf and Rick Hahn would much rather trim the payroll down even further, below the 60MM mark, and let attendance carry on around the current levels. Tread water during the rebuild and make a splash when the team is ready to compete. Adding a "big ticket" free agent isn't going to do much of anything for attendance. Besides, that logic assumes the big ticket players that would be available would even sign here. For what? To participate in a rebuild?

I will be fairly concerned if payroll isn't top 12 by 2016. Until then I'm just going to assume this is part of the rebuild, there isn't much reason to think otherwise as JR has usually opened the pocketbook when in contention. Unlike KW, I think Hahn will actually tell JR when he think they are ready to contend. KW probably was always thinking he had a contender.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 05:30 PM)

Less than a week ago, they were yet another bad bullpen appearance from being just one game under .500.

Do you expect the White Sox to at least PRETEND to compete in 2015 or are you willing to concede that the bar for competing for the playoffs realistically is being moved back to 2016, minus some dramatic free agency additions this off-season?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
Less than a week ago, they were yet another bad bullpen appearance from being just one game under .500.

Do you expect the White Sox to at least PRETEND to compete in 2015 or are you willing to concede that the bar for competing for the playoffs realistically is being moved back to 2016, minus some dramatic free agency additions this off-season?

Of course they are going to try and contend in 2015. Look at it this way, how much did they improve last offseason? Probably about 10 WAR. They added Eaton (3), Jose (5) and Avi (2-4 if he stayed healthy) as major additions. They didn't spend on pitching because they knew they weren't that close.

If they bring in 10 WAR on the pitching side of things this offseason and Avi comes back strong then they are in contention for the 2nd WC.

Things are going well I don't know why so many fans are complaining this team is way better than last years and all their good players are locked down and young. They somehow got the consensus best player in the draft (Rodon) and the farm system, while still lacking much high end low floor guys, is as deep as it's been since the early aughts.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 05:54 PM)
Of course they are going to try and contend in 2015. Look at it this way, how much did they improve last offseason? Probably about 10 WAR. They added Eaton (3), Jose (5) and Avi (2-4 if he stayed healthy) as major additions. They didn't spend on pitching because they knew they weren't that close.

If they bring in 10 WAR on the pitching side of things this offseason and Avi comes back strong then they are in contention for the 2nd WC.

Things are going well I don't know why so many fans are complaining this team is way better than last years and all their good players are locked down and young. They somehow got the consensus best player in the draft (Rodon) and the farm system, while still lacking much high end low floor guys, is as deep as it's been since the early aughts.

1) The fact that those same fans know the White Sox aren't going to be bidding on Shields, Scherzer or Lester.

2) John Danks

3) That they are just bad enough to be interesting, but not bad enough to get a high draft choice when it really doesn't matter what happens from now through the end of the season as long as Abreu, Sale, Eaton, Avisail and Quintana stay healthy.

4) Having the third worst ERA in the majors despite Sale/Quintana

5) The fact that if they do address the starting pitching issues, there's probably not going to be money left over for the bullpen

6) The fact that our two best defenders are Eaton and Ramirez, and Eaton can't stay on the field and Alexei has a 50/50 chance of being traded

7) Reaction to all the excitement over Alcantara, Baez and Soler

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:02 PM)
1) The fact that those same fans know the White Sox aren't going to be bidding on Shields, Scherzer or Lester.

2) John Danks

3) That they are just bad enough to be interesting, but not bad enough to get a high draft choice when it really doesn't matter what happens from now through the end of the season as long as Abreu, Sale, Eaton, Avisail and Quintana stay healthy.

4) Having the third worst ERA in the majors despite Sale/Quintana

5) The fact that if they do address the starting pitching issues, there's probably not going to be money left over for the bullpen

6) The fact that our two best defenders are Eaton and Ramirez, and Eaton can't stay on the field and Alexei has a 50/50 chance of being traded

7) Reaction to all the excitement over Alcantara, Baez and Soler

Any Sox fan who isn't going to games because of excitement over Cubs prospects isn't much of a Sox fan.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:11 PM)
Any Sox fan who isn't going to games because of excitement over Cubs prospects isn't much of a Sox fan.

I think it's more of the casual fan that's not a die hard and being pulled into the media hype...I'll admit that with the White Sox game already a blowout, I was more interested in the Cubs' game.

That's pretty normal. It doesn't matter who it is, top (rookie) prospects catch our attention...whether it's Trout, Puig, etc. I don't follow Puig as much this year, compared to 2013...even though he's arguably a better player this season.

Human nature.

Edited by caulfield12

Dude, if the Sox had lost as many games as the Cubs over the past decade they literally would have to pay people to come through the gates. Comparing the Sox to the Cubs is pretty dumb imo. One team has a destination ballpark that is part of a historical neighborhood. The other has a nice, but fairly hard to get to park, located in a fairly s***ty neighborhood (for an urban park).

Apples to Oranges. Soler and Baez literally have nothing to do with the Sox' situation. I can't believe it's even occurring to link the Cubs' farm system to the Sox' attendance problems. It's like blaming Obama for it. Heck, that would make more sense it's a s*** economy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
I think it's more of the casual fan that's not a die hard and being pulled into the media hype...I'll admit that with the White Sox game already a blowout, I was more interested in the Cubs' game.

That's pretty normal. It doesn't matter who it is, top (rookie) prospects catch our attention...whether it's Trout, Puig, etc. I don't follow Puig as much this year, compared to 2013...even though he's arguably a better player this season.

Human nature.

The casual Sox fans, aka Cub fans, are long gone. The bandwagon is empty except for real fans.

Jose Abreu

Chris Sale

Adam Eaton

Avisail Garcia

Jose Quintana

The Cubs have one guy who is as clearly worthy of going to a ballpark to watch play (Rizzo). It's not lack of exciting players holding back our attendance.

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2014 -> 06:27 PM)
Jose Abreu

Chris Sale

Adam Eaton

Avisail Garcia

Jose Quintana

The Cubs have one guy who is as clearly worthy of going to a ballpark to watch play (Rizzo). It's not lack of exciting players holding back our attendance.

And Castro, Baez, Soler (in August or Sept), Alcantara (going through his first slump)....Coghlan has been fun to watch as well.

Of course, Wood/Arrieta/Edwin Jackson is another story. And it's fun to see if their bullpen will implode every,time they have a lead.

Finally, I don't think anyone gets really really excited about Quintana. He's more like opera...you grow to appreciate him, but you don't love him innately the first time you see him pitch.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 7, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
Jose Abreu

Chris Sale

Adam Eaton

Avisail Garcia

Jose Quintana

If you're going to say Q is worthy of going to the ballpark, then so is Arrieta. He would be 4th in the majors in ERA if he qualified.