And that a Tyler Flowers walkoff White Sox Winner!!!

chitownsportsfan

Caught the final couple innings. What a way to win it! Love spoiling Oakland's season and forget the draft pick stuff for a night -- exciting win!

From the box looks like Noesi did alright and so did the pen. Not much offense but Flowers making a strong case to enter 2015 as a plausible starting catcher. I don't know if he'll ever be much more than a good backup at best adequate starter but that's not bad. He is very durable and that's a point in his favor.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 09:19 PM)
This is a winner thread not a whiner thread.

Whining sounds a hell of a lot different than, "damn it."

However, if you want to play the name game... I can go down that road.

There's a lot of anger boiling in me at the moment, so... Let me remain calm, request you shut your almighty mouth, and just leave it at that.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 10:48 PM)

There's a lot of anger boiling in me at the moment, so... Let me remain calm, request you shut your almighty mouth, and just leave it at that.

Ummm, wow....

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 12:48 AM)

KHCdYEn.gif

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 8, 2014 -> 11:48 PM)

Poop

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 10:19 AM)
One problem...there's a guy being paid a lot more money to put up a 5.12 ERA.

A lot easier to eat Danks salary if you have a cheap replacement. This was why Keppinger was let go. Eating Danks salary is fine if Noesi or Rodon can take his spot. If you have to spend another $10M to fill the 5 spot then there is a problem.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 11:33 AM)
A lot easier to eat Danks salary if you have a cheap replacement. This was why Keppinger was let go. Eating Danks salary is fine if Noesi or Rodon can take his spot. If you have to spend another $10M to fill the 5 spot then there is a problem.

The problem is that Noesi and Rodon can't take that spot, we still need 5 starting pitchers. Right now, we have Sale and Quintana, next year add in Rodon and Noesi, and Danks still is the 5th spot.

Right now, Rodon would take Carroll's spot in the rotation, so we'd still need to spend money to find a replacement for Danks.

This logic is why I can't see the White Sox spending big on a FA pitcher in the offseason; as long as Danks is there, i struggle to see them spending big money to replace him.

A couple thoughts on the Danks stuff...

1) It makes no sense to "replace" Danks with someone earning salary, it makes sense to replace Danks with Rodon who is earning the minimum. It also makes sense to replace Carroll with Noesi. The $$$ spent would need to go to a rotation upgrade at the #2 slot otherwise there's really no reason to spend it (might as well trade for a prospect/project with ability & throw him out there). Our future rotation should be: Sale-RHP-Quintana-Noesi-Rodon, and Noesi can't be that 2. We're not going to run out a 4 or especially 5 lefty rotation, s***, remember the uproar over Axelrod takign the 5th spot from Santiago? We're not doing 4 lefties, we are having 3.

2) A lot of what has been suggested here about another righty is crap, i.e. throwing money at Brandon McCarthy and the handful of innings he may pitch. I'm not sure why so many people like that idea anyway. But if you add a Shields or something along those lines, an actual #2/#3 quality starter, you are upgrading the rotation as a whole, not just replacing Danks. You would be upgrading every spot 3-5, making Q a 3 and Noesi a 4 and Rodon a 5, while getting your L-R balance. The other ideas like trading for Homer Bailey if possible, signing Latos, etc. these are a lot better than McCarthy. We need a #2 not a #4/#5 if we want to try to win anything.

3) Danks (and here we go back to the same thing I tried to get people to understand with Dunn) is guaranteed IIRC $28.5M combined over the next 2 seasons. The Sox are *obligated* to pay him, but they are not *obligated* to pitch him 150+IP during those 2 seasons. They can really do anything they want with him as long as he gets paid. So, if you can move him to another team and get that club to take on maybe $12-16M of that obligation ($6M-$8M per over 2 seasons) then you are just clearing money out, which would be wise for us. I really hope we don't go through the Dunn s*** again with Danks, but if there is even a *hint* around ST of a better pitcher/pitching prospect having to start in Charlotte or the bullpen to "work on something" so we can run Danks out there, it'll be pretty obvious what is going on. And at that point, in a sane world, if the Sox can't find any salary relief then he just goes to the pen like IIRC both Odalis & Oliver Perez had to do in recent years as lefties signed to big deals. My guess: the Sox will be whiners abotu Danks, not move him over the offseason, and Rodon will start in the pen for "innings concerns" as a means of trying to build Danks trade value for July. Which is bulls***, but I'd put good odds on that.

4) Danks reportedly received interest from the Yanks and Marlins so maybe they would hvae some level of interest. In a more radical idea, I think the perfect fit might be the Houston Astros. Not only is Danks a Texas native who came up through the Rangers system, he's also a perfect candidate for their "piggy back" system they seem to be trying to bring up to the Majors. Danks isn't much of a "durability" starter anymore, but he can definitely give you 5 innings. Also the Astros are stupid. So would they take on Danks at $6M per or so? If they would then we'd have more cash available, and even if we had to go back to the same 5th starter clusterf*** we had this year, at least there is a chance we'd pick up another project like Noesi was and have some shot at greater future value than what Danks provides.

5) Lastly the money again - we really need to stop acting like babies about this stuff. All the Sox want to do is act like babies about playing s***ty players on s***ty deals instead of paying them to go elsewhere.... well look around the league, just about every team with anything resembling a competitive payroll has to deal with this stuff at least once every few years. Bad contracts are an inescapable economic reality of the game of baseball, might as well get used to it and make performance-based decisions instead of "woe is me" emotionally charged baby whiner decisions. Even if some team offers to take Danks at $5M per for 2015-16 then you save $10M and open up a rotation slot for someone with a shot to be better. Paying Danks just to be bad accomplishes nothing, and no matter whether Danks is our #5 or Scott Carroll/heap of garbage is our #5 we're not going to be winning anything anyway.

3) Danks (and here we go back to the same thing I tried to get people to understand with Dunn) is guaranteed IIRC $28.5M combined over the next 2 seasons. The Sox are *obligated* to pay him, but they are not *obligated* to pitch him 150+IP during those 2 seasons. They can really do anything they want with him as long as he gets paid. So, if you can move him to another team and get that club to take on maybe $12-16M of that obligation ($6M-$8M per over 2 seasons) then you are just clearing money out, which would be wise for us. I really hope we don't go through the Dunn s*** again with Danks, but if there is even a *hint* around ST of a better pitcher/pitching prospect having to start in Charlotte or the bullpen to "work on something" so we can run Danks out there, it'll be pretty obvious what is going on. And at that point, in a sane world, if the Sox can't find any salary relief then he just goes to the pen like IIRC both Odalis & Oliver Perez had to do in recent years as lefties signed to big deals. My guess: the Sox will be whiners abotu Danks, not move him over the offseason, and Rodon will start in the pen for "innings concerns" as a means of trying to build Danks trade value for July. Which is bulls***, but I'd put good odds on that.

If the Sox (1) can't trade Danks without eating more than 2/3 of his salary and (2) he is not one of the five best starters at the end of ST, then I am 100% behind sticking him in the bullpen. I know other teams have done it, but that may be too "outside the box" for Robin.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 9, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
If the Sox (1) can't trade Danks without eating more than 2/3 of his salary and (2) he is not one of the five best starters at the end of ST, then I am 100% behind sticking him in the bullpen. I know other teams have done it, but that may be too "outside the box" for Robin.

It's a very interesting idea. Maybe it invigorates his career. He wouldn't be the first guy to benefit from that move. My concern is that his stuff is too far gone for it to even matter; the last thing you want is a reliever that gives up homers like he does. You'd hope the extra miles on his fastball from the lighter workload would help with that.